Rumor: Trade up discussion with Giants

3 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

No other team will have 2 1sts to offer this year nor the overall draft capital in 2018 to realistically be able to offer 2 1sts, a 2nd and a 3rd.

That doesn't mean they won't try and fleece us by asking for more. Are we over the draft value pts?

1 minute ago, BuffaloHokie13 said:

The bonus here is that there is no other team in the race that can reasonably match even our starting offer. Price may not go up much unless the Giants just don't want to move out of their spot.

That is what I think too. The Bills aren’t challenged by anyone realistically. Denver can assemble a decent package but it still isn’t near ours. The Bills are in prime position to get it done. 

11 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

I still think that they should agree in principle but not pull the actual trigger on announcement until draft day and the #1 pick is over and their guy (Rosen or otherwise) is officially there. 

Too risky.  That basically gives the Giants a month to sit there and wait for the Dolphins to offer 4 1st round picks or the Broncos to offer #5, 2 1sts, other picks.

If you agree to a deal in principle, send the paperwork in.  If something happens that you aren't comfortable with the pick at 2, you can always shop the pick.

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

That doesn't mean they won't try and fleece us by asking for more. Are we over the draft value pts?

They can try but it all depends on how much they want to move the pick. The Bills know they can’t realistically get outbid. So they either want to trade it or they don’t. 

1 minute ago, Chuck Wagon said:

Too risky.  That basically gives the Giants a month to sit there and wait for the Dolphins to offer 4 1st round picks or the Broncos to offer #5, 2 1sts, other picks.

If you agree to a deal in principle, send the paperwork in.  If something happens that you aren't comfortable with the pick at 2, you can always shop the pick.

I really doubt either team would do that 

2 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Yes, this is why the Bills are the only team in position to do this trade without wiping out their draft. 

I don't know about that.  Denver has the 5th overall, a second, and a first next year in a draft where everybody says the QB quality is inferior.  Yes, it is a little more of a stretch for them but if these prospects are as good as some here maintain then they would also be interested in somebody that could help them for many years to come.

Denver isn't selling the farm to trade up to 2. They like Keenum and will take their chances that the guy they want will be there at 5 or they may trade down themselves. Miami may trade up but they have don't have the Bills draft capital. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

If I'm the Giants I don't make a move until they are on the clock.  That would ensure some panic stricken team will sweeten the offer to get to 2.  And if not I get whomever I want..

I’d feel the same way if I were the Giants I think (especially knowing that the Browns don’t want to deal 1). If I’m the Bills I am working with the Browns and trying leverage the Giants. It probably won’t work but maybe if the Giants think that the Bills would be happy at 4 they’ll pull the trigger? The Giants can’t get the Bills package elsewhere. If they overplay their hand and the Bills go to 4 with the intent of Allen or Baker the Giants are “stuck” at 2. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Chuck Wagon said:

A few issues here...

- Miami can't offer 4 first-round picks, only picks from the 3 upcoming drafts are eligible to be traded

- Even if Denver offers 5 and two more 1sts, those future 1sts will be downgraded in value to 2nds

- If Buffalo does move to 2, they aren't trading down, since they'd only move to 2 if they're okay with at least 2 players

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, The 9 Isles said:

Is this actually happening or is this just another message board fantasy quest?

Yep, a rumor that pretty much matches a fantasy quite a few here have.  I would not say that it is utterly impossible but will wait for the presser from OBD before I put much stock into it.

12 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

This is what's scaring me....one day before the draft I'll get the NFL mobile text with breaking news the Dolphins, Cards or Broncos get the #2 pick.

Then we have to hope AJ McCaron turns out to be a diamond in the rough.

Dolphins and Cards aren't real threats unless the Bills just decide the price exceeds the value to them.  The Broncos have the #5 pick and that's a problem. The NYG can still acquire some picks without missing out on players highly ranked on their board from 2-11. Assume if the Giants are willing to move down that they are not taking a QB. They know the NYJ are going QB. CLE could trade out of 4 if a QB needy team wants to move. They could be sitting in a great spot at 5 watching mostly QBs go off the board. This could put a huge dent in the Bills QB plans 

Edited by Boatdrinks

Just now, Reed83HOF said:

I am thinking they are going to want a little something next year as well...I wouldn't like to move 1, but they could easily have 2 and/or 3...

the offer already has next year's 2. If they want more just to feel like they 'won' then I'd give up one of our 2 4ths I suppose

2 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I’d feel the same way if I were the Giants I think (especially knowing that the Browns don’t want to deal 1). If I’m the Bills I am working with the Browns and trying leverage the Giants. It probably won’t work but maybe if the Giants think that the Bills would be happy at 4 they’ll pull the trigger? The Giants can’t get the Bills package elsewhere. If they overplay their hand and the Bills go to 4 with the intent of Allen or Baker the Giants are “stuck” at 2. 

The pressure game works for either side potentially.  

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Boatdrinks said:

Dolphins and Cards aren't real threats unless the Bills just decide the price exceeds the value to them.  The Broncos have the #5 picks and that's a problem. The NYG can still acquire some picks without missing out on players highly ranked on their board from 2-11. Assume if the Giants are willing to move down that they are not taking a QB. They know the NYJ are going QB. CLE could trade out of 4 if a QB needy team wants to move. They could be sitting in a great spot at 5 watching mostly QBs go off the board. This could put a huge dent in the Bills QB plans 

Completely agree Denver is the true threat here.  That's why we are going to need to overpay.  The very real possibility exists of the Giants just taking #5, a future 1st, a 2nd this year and possibly something else and walking out with the exact same player they would at 2.

It’s a lot, but we still get our first next year and have picks in rounds 2 and 3.  

I’d do it. If we get our QB (not Allen), and we get two starters with our other two picks, that’s a win. 

I really want Mayfield, but I think this would solidify Rosen. 

3 minutes ago, Chuck Wagon said:

Completely agree Denver is the true threat here.  That's why we are going to need to overpay.  The very real possibility exists of the Giants just taking #5, a future 1st, a 2nd this year and possibly something else and walking out with the exact same player they would at 2.

While I think the NYG would like that haul, I do not think Elway would do that, at all. He’s in a win-now mindset. If he was rebuilding, maybe. If he wants a top 5 QB he will get one of the top 4 at 5 without giving up anything unless someone trades with the Browns. If he wants to he could give up much less just moving up one spot to 4. Regardless i don’t think he’s taking one at 5.

Edited by YoloinOhio