The Bills aren't showing they're desperate for a QB

8 minutes ago, Tyrod's friend said:

I don't think it's overrated; if 5.7 is considered to be Early NFL Starters, there's a fair number of them. It's not unusual though.

PLAYER POS HT WT COLLEGE PICK TEAM GRADEquestion-mark.png WATCH

Bortles, Blake QB 6'5" 232 Central Florida Pick 3, Round 1 (3) Jaguars 6.2  

Bridgewater, Teddy QB 6'2" 214 Louisville Pick 32, Round 1 (32) Vikings 6.1  

Carr, Derek QB 6'2" 214 Fresno St. Pick 4, Round 2 (36) Raiders 6.1  

Manziel, Johnny QB 6'0" 207 Texas A&M Pick 22, Round 1 (22) Browns 6.1  

Garoppolo, Jimmy QB 6'2" 226 Eastern Illinois Pick 30, Round 2 (62) Patriots 5.8  

McCarron, AJ QB 6'3" 220 Alabama Pick 24, Round 5 (164) Bengals 5.7  

To me this is the most similar draft to this year. The only thing this year has is one presumably outstanding QB in Sam Darnold. There's nothing wrong with the 2014 draft - ultimately it might prove to provide two unexpected Franchise QBs in the second round. (With two understandings: NFL Draft Tracker isn't the be-all and say-all, and knowing that the NFL Draft Tracker has gotten the QB picks at the top pretty much on point since 2012).

PLAYER POS HT WT COLLEGE     GRADEquestion-mark.png WATCH
  DARNOLD, SAM* QB 6'3" 220 USC     7.0  
  ROSEN, JOSH* QB 6'4" 226 UCLA     6.1  
  MAYFIELD, BAKER QB 6'1" 215 Oklahoma     6.0  
  ALLEN, JOSH QB 6'5" 233 Wyoming     6.0  
  JACKSON, LAMAR* QB 6'3" 200 Louisville     5.9  
  RUDOLPH, MASON QB 6'5" 235 Oklahoma St.     5.6  
  WHITE, MIKE QB 6'4" 225 Western Kentucky     5.6

So we get 4 first rounders, 1 second rounder, and 2 third rounders. We need to get one of those top 4. 

2 hours ago, TheTruthHurts said:

I'm not exactly sure why. They ended up getting AJ McCarron on the cheap. They stayed away from big money free agency. They allowed a division rival to trade up for a franchise QB. 

The question is why? 

They traded up for A quarterback. It is yet to be known if he will be a franchise QB.

32 minutes ago, aristocrat said:

I’m wondering if this is the most overrated qb class ever. None of these guys is the clear cut favorite 

Actually, this draft is fairly similar to the 1983 draft... Lots of choices... Different styles of QB... After Elway at #1 there were alot of differing opinions on the other QB's...

4 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

So we get 4 first rounders, 1 second rounder, and 2 third rounders. We need to get one of those top 4. 

You could see it that way; or this:

There was hardly any difference out of college between a guy that has been given a $27MM contract, a guy that is on our roster right now, and a QB very, very likely to fall to us at 12. 

I'm reminded of the saying, "Don't just do something. Sit there."

4 minutes ago, Tyrod's friend said:

You could see it that way; or this:

There was hardly any difference out of college between a guy that has been given a $27MM contract, a guy that is on our roster right now, and a QB very, very likely to fall to us at 12. 

I'm reminded of the saying, "Don't just do something. Sit there."

Fair point and it makes sense. Nate Peterman's grade was in that 5.7 range as well. This amounts to backup/possible average to below average starter. Once you get over the six, there is some more potential. 

To me, if you aren't getting Darnold, Rosen, or Allen...I'd roll with McCarron. 

Edited by MrEpsYtown

1 hour ago, TheTruthHurts said:

I get what people are saying, but when you trade away Tyrod Taylor and are left with Peterman you would think there was a plan to add a legit starting QB. Instead they let everyone else sign QB's and got the backup with upside on the cheap. 

This offseason was going well until they failed to get a starting QB. The Bills didn't have the guts to pull the trigger on anything. Visions of Darcy Regier for the Sabres. 

I think the moves Beane has made since taking over prove that he has the guts to pull the trigger. You know what else he has? A roster with holes and in need of upgrades and 45 million in dead cap space. 

Everyone here wants everything done asap...but truth of the matter is Beane, Pegula and McDermott are building for the long haul with a planning mind. Step 1. Clear cap room. Done. Next year we are looking at 100 million-ish in cap space. If you think this was a wild off-season..just wait. Buffalo imo will be MAJOR players in FA next year.

Step 2 Draft young players on rookie deals. About to happen. Still gotta draft well. 

AJ McCarron...well who really knows what he will be. If you read this board you learn that a player is either an All-pro or he sucks. While I don't think he will be an All-Pro this year...I don't think he will suck. I really do think he has the potential to be an upgrade on what we had.

Every move Beane makes is well thought out and calculated. He knows how important a QB is. He will get that accomplished. Might be this year, might be next year. 

Edited by No Place To Hyde

I question why this team needs to be desperate.  I'll type here what I've typed elsewhere.  If the front office doesn't believe that there's a clear cut #1 QB that's miles ahead of the next two guys, you don't get crazy with trying to get that #1.  Every armchair GM will sit there and ask why they're not trading up to #2 because, of course, they MUST.  Look at what McCarron did in college and compare him to what the current guys did in college.  He's up there in every major statistical category.  I think the Bills at this point are sitting at #12 and letting the draft come to them.  A.J. got a two year "show me" deal and the Bills have the luxury of drafting the 3rd or 4th QB on the board at #12 if they want or even waiting until the second round.  They should pull 3 starters out of the first 4 picks and I can't say I mind that at all.

If we are asking Gettleman to pass on drafting Barkley and trade us the #2 pick, would it be unreasonable for him to insist that we throw Shady in on the deal? Would that be a "deal breaker"? 12-22-53-56-65 and Shady?

Edited by DefenseWins

6 minutes ago, No Place To Hyde said:

I think the moves Beane has made since taking over prove that he has the guts to pull the trigger. You know what else he has? A roster with holes and in need of upgrades and 45 million in dead cap space. 

Everyone here wants everything done asap...but truth of the matter is Beane, Pegula and McDermott are building for the long haul with a planning mind. Step 1. Clear cap room. Done. Next year we are looking at 100 million-ish in cap space. If you think this was a wild off-season..just wait. Buffalo imo will be MAJOR players in FA next year.

Step 2 Draft young players on rookie deals. About to happen. Still gotta draft well. 

AJ McCarron...well who really knows what he will be. If you read this board you learn that a player is either an All-pro or he sucks. While I don't think he will be an All-Pro this year...I don't think he will suck. I really do think he has the potential to be an upgrade on what we had.

Every move Beane makes is well thought out and calculated. He knows how important a QB is. He will get that accomplished. Might be this year, might be next year. 

This can also be said of all of the top 5-6 QB's that could possibly go in the first round.  Absolutely none of them are "Andrew Luck" type of guys.

15 minutes ago, DefenseWins said:

Actually, this draft is fairly similar to the 1983 draft... Lots of choices... Different styles of QB... After Elway at #1 there were alot of differing opinions on the other QB's...

i've seen the hype. i don't see the talent. plenty of qbs have gone top five and ten over the years. it just seems so overhyped this year

26 minutes ago, Sky Diver said:

When we were desperate for a QB, we ended up with EJ. How well did that work out?

At least they took the chance.

The Bills also really needed a wide receiver that year.  They could have passed on EJ Manuel, then drafted a WR at #16 like DeAndre Hopkins.  Instead of a total bust at QB, we could have gotten a top-notch Pro-Bowl receiver.

How many Super Bowls do you think the Bills would have won with Hopkins instead of Manuel?  How much earlier would we have ended the streak with Hopkins instead of Manuel?  How many times would we have won the AFC East instead of New England, if we had Hopkins instead of Manuel?  If everyone is honest, they know the answer to all of these questions is ZERO.  He would have made no difference.

No matter how much we crucify Buddy Nix/Doug Whaley for the failure that was Manuel, the complete and honest truth is... drafting him wasn't what killed the Bills.  What killed the Bills was passing on Russell Wilson in the 2012 draft.  Our staff admitted they REALLY LIKED Wilson, but were just afraid to overdraft him in the 2nd Round and were afraid to trade up in the 3rd to secure him. 

Here is the thing.  I don't know what the Bills draft board looks like.  At this point, I'm hoping that Brandon Beane knows what he's doing.  I hope he is a good talent evaluator, and I hope he has a concrete plan to get the QB he thinks has the best chance to be our franchise guy.  Because at the end of the day, that's all that matters.  Adding another Linebacker, Tackle, Wide Receiver, etc. will not get us the championship trophy we all should be striving for.  If he sees "the guy" at #2, and just isn't willing to part with the extra picks... it could end up being the biggest mistake of his career. 

If the Giants want to rebuild around Eli they will move down to the highest bidder. The Bills at 12 and 22 have to be looking good for them.

I would think 3 QBs go then the Browns trade down from #4 and get a LT to replace Joe Thomas and more. Barkley would be nice at 4 but they have more needs to rebuild . 

So the Bills might have a chance at #2 and #4

6 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

But they are taking a necessary risk.

As has been talked about numerous times before, the QB makes all the difference. 

The Browns have had loads of draft picks over the years and done absolutely nothing with them because they ignored the one position that can turn your franchise around in QB.

The Bills have drafted well throughout the drought but ignored the QB position year in and year out. Where did it get them?

Even if the Bills keep their picks, don't draft a QB and hit on every one of the picks on other positions, it won't matter if McCarron sucks. The Bills will continue to wallow around .500 and McBeane will be looking for new jobs two years from now.

Beane obvioulsy didnt feel it was worth out bidding the Jets from what he has seen and he did not.

SO I really think you and the rest need to start demanding beane be fired, because that is the only recourse you now have. You can't change what is done. Beane in many opinions screwed up by not caving to the demands of Indy and letting the Jets jump them..

I will roll with the punches. The rest of you start the fire beane now threads.. I look forward to them as always

14 minutes ago, ALF said:

If the Giants want to rebuild around Eli they will move down to the highest bidder. The Bills at 12 and 22 have to be looking good for them.

I would think 3 QBs go then the Browns trade down from #4 and get a LT to replace Joe Thomas and more. Barkley would be nice at 4 but they have more needs to rebuild . 

So the Bills might have a chance at #2 and #4

The Browns aren’t moving down again.  They actually have too many picks right now.  If anything, they will try to move up to 2.

1 hour ago, Luxy312 said:

This can also be said of all of the top 5-6 QB's that could possibly go in the first round.  Absolutely none of them are "Andrew Luck" type of guys.

100% agree. The only thing the draftees have over McCarron at this stage is a tad more youth. And that can be a good or bad thing.

1 hour ago, ScottLaw said:

?.

Sure. How would you feel if the Bills made that move? My guess is happy.

Not sure if I would be happy or not.  I love having all of those draft picks, and the Bills have so many holes, and need new talent.  Best case scenario is they take Mason Rudolph at 12 or any QB, and they hit on that QB, without having to give up so many draft picks.  If they stay at 12 and pick a QB, I trust that Bean is not reaching.  I believe they will only trade up for a QB if they think that they cannot get a potential starting QB at 12.  Beane loves those picks as much as I do.