3-16: Brandon Beane Presser at 10 AM ET - Big Free Agent Spending Is Done

3 minutes ago, Reed83HOF said:

It is always top 5, top 10, top 15....

If he was saying 11, 13 or 14 (I left 12 out because that is our pick now) - then it would be a bit strange. I have been working in manufacturing a long time now, it's weird that every tolerance always ends in a 5 or a 0. That's just where most minds seem to go 0s and 5s

He was saying that he couldn't stay at 21 because "said player" wouldn't last past 15.

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, the skycap said:

Didn't Lamar Jackson say that the first team he met at combine was the Bills?? I wonder why Beane didn't mention him?

Because he's not on the Bills' board and they hate him. OR because he's #1 on the Bills' board and they don't want to give that impression. OR because he knows other teams are parsing his every word because they think he might speak 100% truthfully to the media for some reason even when he has no incentive to do so, and he knows that if he doesn't mention Jackson, another team will interpret that to mean he loves Jackson, and may therefore try to trade ahead of Buffalo to get him, but little do they know that this is all a ploy to get someone to waste a pick on Jackson, because they have no intention to draft him anyway!

So yeah, back to reality. Read nothing into his comments. 

Edited by SoFFacet
  • Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, SoFFacet said:

Because he's not on the Bills' board and they hate him. OR because he's #1 on the Bills' board and they don't want to give that impression. OR because he knows other teams are parsing his every word because they think he might speak 100% truthfully to the media for some reason even when he has no incentive to do so, and he knows that if he doesn't mention Jackson, another team will interpret that to mean he loves Jackson, and may therefore try to trade ahead of Buffalo to get him, but little do they know that this is all a ploy to get someone to waste a pick on Jackson, because they have no intention to draft him anyway!

So yeah, back to reality. Read nothing into his comments. 

You're so right!!

https://www.revengeofthebirds.com/2018/3/14/17118254/arizona-cardinals-looking-to-move-up-in-2018-nfl-draft-for-a-quarterback-per-report

posted 2 days ago

Edited by the skycap

3 minutes ago, BuffaloRebound said:

I'd be shocked if we don't go up and get a QB, but worst case at #12, one of Roquan Smith or Tremaine Edwards are there.  

Nah. Worst case at #12, we get whatever QB from the top-4 is left. There are 4 top QB prospects in this draft. Assuming Cleveland, Denver, and NYJ are in, that's 3 in the first 6 picks. We had to get at least between NYJ and AZ to land the 4th if we are unable to move up any further.

If we get stuck staying at 12, we're still going QB.

Some of the highlights from the press conference for those that missed it...

"We will definitely move up and draft a QB and then we will win the Super Bowl"

"Baker Mayfield is too short and we don't like when he grabs his crotch"

"Lamar Jackson is a WR"

"We are going to sign all of the top free agents"

"Shady McCoy is on the trade block"

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, Tyrod's friend said:

Consider perspective. He knew he needed to get to 12 to get some players he wanted; it doesn't say he wants to go further.

GR commentator has it bang on.
This team puts a value on a player and won't outpay to move up. 

If they don't get a top QB prospect in this draft..........after passing on Watson and Mahomes..........things could turn very sour in the next 9 months..

You don't pass on a potential franchise QB over an extra second round pick.     They overpaid to get Lotuelelei they'd better do what it takes to get their QB.    

I think they are smart enough to understand that but we'll know soon enough.

• Like (+1) 4

3 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Nah. Worst case at #12, we get whatever QB from the top-4 is left. There are 4 top QB prospects in this draft. Assuming Cleveland, Denver, and NYJ are in, that's 3 in the first 6 picks. We had to get at least between NYJ and AZ to land the 4th if we are unable to move up any further.

If we get stuck staying at 12, we're still going QB.

If it's Josh Allen, then PASS.  I'd take LB Smith or Edwards over him.  Then grab Mike White or Falk in the 2nd or 3rd.  

Beane Presser Takeaways (please feel free to add more as I know I missed some)

--Wished Tyrod well and said he'll be rooting for him except when he's playing Buffalo

--Thanked all of his Scouts and Staff for their preparation on Free Agency

--Admitted that the salary cap will not support any further large Free Agent signings, you may see small depth signings.  "Nothing to make the ticker"

--Believes in building strong, attacking Defensive Line and protecting Offensive Line (Explaining the DT and DE signings).  Aligns with McDermott on this.

--Eric Wood remains in same status.  Has become a back burner issue with Free Agency and Draft prep.

--Emphatically stated that he hasn't completed his prep of potential draftees.  His sole focus now is draft preparation.  

--Skirted the trade up questions with the statement above on not being able to reach a decision yet as the draft preparation is not complete.

--Alluded to the notion that they could in fact stay at 12 and get a very good player.

--Talked openly of his philosophy of not chasing players, about setting value as in floor and ceiling, and not going outside of that value.

--Sees McCarron as having an opportunity to compete for starting position.  Called several coaches, including Marvin Lewis, before making his decision.

--Stated that they are using a very methodical approach to decision making.

--Stated that he's never comfortable with a roster (Answer to "are you comfortable with your wide receivers" question)

--Happy to get Richie Incognito restructured.  Coming off Pro Bowl year.  Important to do.  Not much detail on the restructure.

Again, feel free to add for those that couldn't listen.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 5

2 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

If they don't get a top QB prospect in this draft..........after passing on Watson and Mahomes..........things could turn very sour in the next 9 months..

You don't pass on a potential franchise QB over an extra second round pick.     They overpaid to get Lotuelelei they'd better do what it takes to get their QB.    

It would be a YUUUGGGE shock if they don't pick a QB high in this draft.

• Like (+1) 3

Just now, BADOLBILZ said:

or they could overpay and end up with someone like David Carr, Leftwich, Collins, Harrington, etc.   While watching Smith or Edwards dominate for the next 10 years.  I think they have 2 QB's potentially they would "overpay" for (Rosen, Mayfield hopefully).  The rest they wont'.  

1 minute ago, RyanC883 said:

If it's Josh Allen, then PASS.  I'd take LB Smith or Edwards over him.  Then grab Mike White or Falk in the 2nd or 3rd.  

Tell Beane. But prepared to be disappointed.

Rothlisberger was the last of the top tier QBs in 2004, and when Texans backed out of our trade, instead of upping the offer we passed and grabbed Losman as a 2nd-tier guy.

Not saying Allen is Rothlisberger, but this franchise needs to get a QB for once and not get cute about it.

• Like (+1) 1

Basically said nothing besides we are done in Free Agency. Not sure why they needed to hold a press conference to say that. However, I like Beane speaking about 400,000x more than McDermott. McDermott has a way of using 1000 words to say nothing - reminds me of my high school paper writing days!

1 minute ago, RyanC883 said:

or they could overpay and end up with someone like David Carr, Leftwich, Collins, Harrington, etc.   While watching Smith or Edwards dominate for the next 10 years.  I think they have 2 QB's potentially they would "overpay" for (Rosen, Mayfield hopefully).  The rest they wont'.  

What you described is "fear-based" decision making. It's "playing not to lose". Bills need to grow some balls for once and get their guy. Smith or Edwards could bust just as easily. QB is the most important position.

• Thank you (+1) 1

Beane did the same thing with Tyrod Taylor at the Senior Bowl.  He made it sound like there was a chance they could keep him on the team and then what happened?

same thing here - he made it sounds like he might be taking a non-QB at #12.  But we all know what will happen 

• Like (+1) 3