Bills sign QB AJ McCarron

9290.jpg

Bills signed QB A.J. McCarron, formerly of the Bengals, to a two-year, $10 million contract.

He can earn another $6 million in incentives. McCarron was linked to Cleveland, but that ship sailed as soon as the Browns traded for Tyrod Taylor. Ironically, McCarron is now headed to Orchard Park as Taylor's replacement. McCarron's $5 million annual salary puts him in the Chase Daniel ballpark, suggesting the Bills view him as a backup. Even if McCarron does open the year as Buffalo's starter, he'll just be keeping the seat warm for whatever quarterback the Bills end up drafting in April.

Great contract!

We've seen what Kirk Cousins, Case Keenum and Sam Bradford can do, and Teddy Bridgewater's knee might prevent him from becoming the quarterback many expected. With that in mind, AJ McCarron just might have had the highest potential ceiling among all of the signal-callers on this year's free-agent market. 

The Bills landed McCarron—healthy, 27 years old and with nearly all the tread on his tires—for only a two-year, $10 million commitment.

Yes, Pro Football Talk's Mike Florio reports that number could increase to $16.5 million if McCarron hits a slew of incentives, but that would actually be a good thing for Buffalo. It would probably mean the McCarron experiment has been a success. And don't be surprised if that happens, because the former Alabama star has been one of the best backups in football the last four years, and he put up impressive numbers in relief of Andy Dalton in Cincinnati. 

Worst case, he's a relatively cheap stopgap. 

This was a low-risk, high reward move for a Bills team that might soon look real smart for sitting back while the Vikings, Broncos, Cardinals and Jets played a frantic and expensive game of musical chairs. 

Grade: A+

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 3

Where the hell did all of these ass-hats come from? FFS it's like this place is crackopalooza and everyone is looking for a rock.  Mind numbing how you end up with the lens you have on life.  I would love to know what real life is like for you -- thinking it cant be good.

There is very little to not like about this move, and those of you that are trying are grasping at straws.  This train is pointed north ladies, quit looking in the rearview mirror.

1 minute ago, Tyrod's friend said:

Out of her league? 

LMAO. Everyone is out of Katherine Webb's league. The guy has to stand behind her to hide the 24 hour boner he carries. 

Alot of hair and teeth.  I don't know, I suppose I would take it for a test spin.  If she starts naying like a horse the deals off.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, simool said:

Alot of hair and teeth.  I don't know, I suppose I would take it for a test spin.  If she starts naying like a horse the deals off.

LOL. Yeah. I'm thinking you have a girlfriend that's 10 times better looking. it's 10:45 and Miss America ain't walking in your door, Captain Critical.

Just now, Tyrod's friend said:

LOL. Yeah. I'm thinking you have a girlfriend that's 10 times better looking. it's 10:45 and Miss America ain't walking in your door, Captain Critical.

Girlfriend.  Ha. I bought the whole damn cow man.  Just trying to point out that no woman is out of your league.  If you think so, you have already lost the battle.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, simool said:

Girlfriend.  Ha. I bought the whole damn cow man.  Just trying to point out that no woman is out of your league.  If you think so, you have already lost the battle.

I'll reiterate that bragging about your love life on a Bills message board is a big L.

2 hours ago, Chuck Wagon said:

McCarron + Pick #65 >>>  Tyrod

Let me fix this...

McCarron >>> Tyrod

Pick #65 >>> Tyrod

I will miss watching Tyrod get out of pressure and run for it on 3rd and long.  Looking forward to a QB who is good at throwing the ball.

• Like (+1) 1

Bills sign QB A.J. McCarron (2 years, $10 million): A+ Grade 
How did this happen? In an offseason in which Sam Bradford got $20 million for a year, Josh McCown received $10 million for a season, and Case Keenum obtained $18 million per year, A.J. McCarron somehow was stuck with far less money than all three. 

McCarron, with this deal, is set to earn as much as Chase Daniel, which is unbelievable. In the Daniel write-up, I wrote that average backup quarterbacks should earn $4-5 million. McCarron is certainly not a typical No. 2 signal-caller. He's a premium reserve quarterback; if not a below-average starter. 

I still expect the Bills to select a quarterback in the opening round, as I detailed a potential NFL Draft trade with the Giants that could occur. McCarron would provide insurance just in case Buffalo couldn't make the move. He would also be able to start while the rookie signal-caller is being developed. This is an outstanding signing that is worthy of an A+ grade. 

• Like (+1) 4

Just so we are clear on this before you guys go to bed, for the 2018 and 2019 season the Buffalo Bills will have 3 QBs on their roster.  One of which is a project player that they love who will be in his 2nd and 3rd year hopefully growing as expected.  One who was coveted by the Patriots, has a 93.6 pro QB rating, has 4 years under his belt, took the bengals within a RB fumble of their first playoff victory in 20 years, won 2 national championships at Bama, all the while going 36-4 and is their all time leading passer.  Finally, a top 5 draft pick, the highest Buffalo has ever taken a QB in their history, and from the greatest QB class since 2004 and maybe the third best class in the last 1/3 of a century...

...all for a total of about $12 million per year.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, dollars 2 donuts said:

Just so we are clear on this before you guys go to bed, for the 2018 and 2019 season the Buffalo Bills will have 3 QBs on their roster.  One of which is a project player that they love who will be in his 2nd and 3rd year hopefully growing as expected.  One who was coveted by the Patriots, has a 93.6 pro QB rating, has 4 years under his belt, took the bengals within a RB fumble of their first playoff victory in 20 years, won 2 national championships at Bama, all the while going 36-4 and is their all time leading passer.  Finally, a top 5 draft pick, the highest Buffalo has ever taken a QB in their history, and from the greatest QB class since 2004 and maybe the third best class in the last 1/3 of a century...

...all for a total of about $12 million per year.

I'll clear it up real quick. The project player isn't very good.

43 minutes ago, BillsFan4 said:

McCarron's contract calls for him to make 4.9 mil. in 2018 , if he doesn't beat out  Peterman for the starting job , no problem. Where do  you get a backup  QB that cheap , plus he will be able to tutor Allen or Rosen.I really do not see the hate on Peterman , especially when McDermott seems to be in his corner..I know where it started and why but , that is an issue that is gone. SOOOO I would hope you Bill's Fans would try to root for anybody one the roster and the rest of you go on to grossing in private. 

• Like (+1) 1