Tannehill with a Big Restructured Contract

https://www.thephinsider.com/2018/3/14/17121672/ryan-tannehill-contract-restructured-adding-to-dolphins-cap-space

Miami Dolphins quarterback Ryan Tannehill has restructured his contract with the team, provding additional cap space as the Dolphins head into free agency. The move is the second restructuring among players on the team, joining safety Reshad Jones.

Tannehill was scheduled to account for $19.9 million against the salary cap this season, but the team adjusted $16.7 million of his base salary for the season into a signing bonus, dropping his 2018 cap hit to $8.7 million. His 2019 cap hit will be $26.6 million and his 202 cap number will be $25.1 million.

The Dolphins gain $11.2 million in cap space from the move.

Looks like the fish are all-in with Ryan for next few years.

Don't think they are in the QB Draft market!

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Green Lightning said:

Will Tanny's Cap hit still be $26 million next year if they cut him before the start of the 2019 season? Maybe they draft a quarterback this year and that's their intent. I don't know.

His Dead Money WAS nothing going into 2019 before restructuring.

Miami is into Tannehill for at least 2 more years.

this is my greatest fear of picking a QB high.  You end up with a non-franchise guy like Fannyhill.  Close to good, but not.  You gotta stick with him AND PAY HIM hansdsomely til you've finally seen enough which it appears the Fish have not yet.  QB purgatory.

Just now, Utah John said:

My takeaway from this is that Miami is now more likely trade their first rounder (#11, just before the Bills pick).  Some other team is likely going to trade up for that pick. 

Perhaps Fannyhill is thier "bridge guy" now and they draft Jackson or the kid out of OK State to "groom".  (Whenever I hear that term I envision the starter trimming the backup QBs beard and clipping his finger nails.)

1 minute ago, PetermanThrew5Picks said:

can somebody explain to me why players do this? are they still getting the same amount of money, just later in time?

Players love it.  They take non-guaranteed salary money and convert it onto guaranteed signing bonus (restructure bonus) money.

Teams get in trouble when they end up cutting a guy after you restructure.  Much more Dead Money.

• Like (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

His Dead Money WAS nothing going into 2019 before restructuring.

Miami is into Tannehill for at least 2 more years.

Looks on its face like it would be a $10M penalty and $16M savings if they did that.  I wouldn't say that's a for sure 2 years.

Edited by Mark80

1 minute ago, ColoradoBills said:

Players love it.  They take non-guaranteed salary money and convert it onto guaranteed signing bonus (restructure bonus) money.

Teams get in trouble when they end up cutting a guy after you restructure.  Much more Dead Money.

Yeah, it's money now that was due later. Contracts become guaranteed if on the opening day roster, but it still takes out some risk and puts money in the bank immediately. 

1 hour ago, PetermanThrew5Picks said:

can somebody explain to me why players do this? are they still getting the same amount of money, just later in time?

He gets a sign bonus so a large chunk moves up to right now and is guaranteed as he has it. Cap # helps team. Player gets more cash and faster cash that he can not lose if he were to be cut. Everyone is happy and it happens a lot.

Miami will be on the hook for a good amount of money due to Tannehill over the next few years.  However, a rookie QB, even a high first rounder, costs peanuts against the cap.  I'm not sure what the Dolphins are thinking, but there is no question that they can afford a high priced Tannehill and a top four QB in the draft, even if Tannehill ends up being a backup.

2 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

This move makes me happy. 

I wonder if Finheaven has a COT (Church of Tanny) and an AntiTanny?  It’s circular arguments of “he’s the worst QB in the league” to “he’s good enough to win with if he has talent around him”.   It takes over every thread.

Of course there’s one SaviorTanny.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1