Vs. Bridge QB ... Why not draft 2 QBs in Round 1 & 2

Why do we want Matt Moore or McCarron .. use that money on other positions ... why not improve your odds (of no bust pick) with a QB in the first and the second?  More agressive flashback to what the Redskins did with RGIII and Kirk Cousins in same draft.

I'm saying let's not sign one of the 2nd tier FA QB's and draft two QB's .. you carry 3 QB's on the roster .. so why use your FA money on (Gabbert, EJ Manuel, Matt Moore, and a whole lot more on McCarron) ... I'd rather plug other holes via FA and draft one of the top 5 QB's in round 1 and come back with Falk or Mike White in Round 2.

2 minutes ago, Mrbojanglezs said:

It's mostly about having a veteran presence in the classroom and on the sideline

Joe Webb

22 minutes ago, BobDVA said:

If someone has to teach you how to be a pro, I do not want you on my team.

Completely obtuse and ignorant statement.

NO rookie knows the ins and outs of being an NFL player prior to arriving into the league.

Just like nobody knows exactly how to preform all aspects of a new job when they first start, and can always learn something from a more experienced worker.

• Like (+1) 2

29 minutes ago, SouthNYfan said:

NO rookie knows the ins and outs of being an NFL player prior to arriving into the league.

Just like nobody knows exactly how to preform all aspects of a new job when they first start, and can always learn something from a more experienced worker.

I very much agree with this.  A lot of folks seem to think that just because a rookie QB is drafted early that he is automatically "ready" to start right away and conversely, that a QB drafted later (perhaps even later in round 1) "needs a red-shirt year".

I think that all rookie QBs will have a learning curve coming into the NFL, learning a new offense, learning how to mesh with new teammates, finding his way to getting along with and leading veteran players with much more experience, etc.

Are some rookie QBs more ready to start right away in the NFL than others?  Yes, but that doesn't mean that any of them are fully prepared.

1 hour ago, WideRightRevenge said:

I'm saying let's not sign one of the 2nd tier FA QB's and draft two QB's .. you carry 3 QB's on the roster .. so why use your FA money on (Gabbert, EJ Manuel, Matt Moore, and a whole lot more on McCarron) ... I'd rather plug other holes via FA and draft one of the top 5 QB's in round 1 and come back with Falk or Mike White in Round 2.

Joe Webb

That would certainly be somewhat unconventional, but I don't think it is a horrible idea. 

On the other hand, I think that the draft picks that they will likely have to trade to move up to the top to get who they want will leave them with too few picks to make it likely that they will want to spend a 2nd/3rd on someone like Falk or White.  I'm thinking that both 1sts and at least 1 2nd will be required to get where they want to be.

1 hour ago, WideRightRevenge said:

Can't this be done by a QB coach .. one who played in the league before?

Then it's a coach and not a peer. They will listen more to someone that's there with them going through it rather than a has been or never was

17 minutes ago, kdiggz said:

Then it's a coach and not a peer. They will listen more to someone that's there with them going through it rather than a has been or never was

i agree with the op and would not rule it out. they want to build through the draft and if a guy like andy reid churns out successful draftees, i'm willing to bet we can find a good qb coach....preferably a former qb.

peterman /mayfield/rudolph

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, WideRightRevenge said:

Why do we want Matt Moore or McCarron .. use that money on other positions ... why not improve your odds (of no bust pick) with a QB in the first and the second?  More agressive flashback to what the Redskins did with RGIII and Kirk Cousins in same draft.

I don't mind this plan at all.  Basically skip the retread QB route and draft two guys to go with Peterman.  #12 and 22 will get you two of the top six candidates.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, WideRightRevenge said:

McCarron is 2-1 and a mid 90 grade as a QB starting in this league, 6TD to 2 INT. He is a upgrade at this point to Peterson who has a around 40 QB rating in 3-4 games played, 2TD and 5INT. If it doesn't break the bank sign McCarron, make it incentive laden. Draft a QB that falls to 12 (Allen, Baker, Jackson or Rudolph) and sign Moore as a fall back to teach these guys and also bail us out if needed. You can't have 3 guys with 2 and under years on the roster. McCarron has 4 years, 4 training camps, 3 starts and 11 games of experience. That is the guy I target to start 2018. If nothing else and he does well but still want to go to Rookie QB in 2019, he would be tradeable. Denver will not waste a their pick on a QB for the future signing Keenum 3 years guaranteed for $60.00. Jets and Miami may or may not now draft a guy, Cleveland definitely will, 1 of the Top 4 will slip through. 

5 hours ago, Boatdrinks said:

You want to have a veteran starter going into the season, besides the in the room presence. The point in moving on from Tyrod was to upgrade the position, at all points in the season. 

The point of moving Tyrod could be to upgrade the position, but also simply be to move on from what didn't work.  

10 hours ago, WideRightRevenge said:

Can't this be done by a QB coach .. one who played in the league before?

Ok guys we play the Chargers this week----Nate & the QB coach are going to led the prep & give an overview.  QB coach & Nate, " the game plan is to run Shady 50 times---we'll pass 10 times"

11 hours ago, WideRightRevenge said:

Maybe what the Redskins did with RGIII and Kirk Cousins and no veteran in the room was not the best practice?

RGIII didn't exactly develop as one would like.

16 hours ago, SouthNYfan said:

I am sorry Dr. Carson,  I did not mean to interfere with your brain surgery.  I was not referring to help with on the job training, I was talking about being a professional.

6 hours ago, BobDVA said:

I am sorry Dr. Carson,  I did not mean to interfere with your brain surgery.  I was not referring to help with on the job training, I was talking about being a professional.

Learning about "being a pro" is about learning how to perform the job.

Learning to "act professional" is more about the attitude/demeanor.

Don't need to be a brain surgeon to know the difference.