Jump to content
QBorBust2018

Anxiety over QB Selection

Recommended Posts

First of all, I would hate to be Cleveland.  I really don’t know who I want the bills to select. If a few are already off the board, then nothing you can do about it. Easier choice between 2 vs 3 prospects. 

 

Also, why did Sam Darnold not throw at the combine ? I watched his interview, “it was the best decision for me.”  Mayock put him on blast. If you have confidence you should want to go and compete.  Sure I like Darnold and would be happy to have him on the team, but If other options off the board by the time we pick. Pretty disappointed with his choice. 

 

Initially it was Darnold, then I liked Mayfield. Now Rosen.  Back to being split on Mayfield/Rosen. 

 

Glad I don’t have to make this decision. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Certainly a B word move by Darnold...not a good look.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah I totally agree.  If you remember back in '14 Doug Whaley mortgaged the franchise by trading 2 picks to draft Sammy Watkins.  It was a huge risk and he basically put his job on the line.  "I like those odds" he said.  Three years later he was fired.  

 

This is a HUGE decision for Brandon Beane.  If he trades up and drafts a QB that's a bust, it will certainly be a huge setup for the franchise.   There's an excellent chance that in 2-3 years he'll be axed like Whaley was.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well good thing you're not a gm.  Every gm in the league would want their pick from the full group so they can get their guy.  As far as Darnold not throwing he really has nothing to gain at the combine but he has something to lose with a poor showing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I posted this in another thread but I had a dream the other night that we moved all the way up to 2 and Cleveland picked Barkley so we had our choice of whatever QB we wanted. What an amazing position to be in, picking the top QB in the top QB draft of the decade. We picked Darnold. He ended up being horrible and the QB's selected after were all amazing. I woke up in a panic and I've been watching tape on Darnold ever since trying to figure out what people see in him. He looks bad. I'm very worried now. I said if they traded up I would be happy with whoever they selected but now that this is a real possibility I'm scared they are going to screw it up. Rosen is the best QB in the draft. Don't over think it. Just do it Beane

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I really hope Cleveland takes Josh Allen at 1. I'm starting to buy the smoke. I'd like them to be forced to choose between Rosen/Darnold/Mayfield.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

I really hope Cleveland takes Josh Allen at 1. I'm starting to buy the smoke. I'd like them to be forced to choose between Rosen/Darnold/Mayfield.

 

I think they take Barkley, Bills trade to two for Rosen, Colts take Chubb, Cleveland takes Allen or Darnold. If Cleveland takes a quarterback at 1, I'm not sure the Giants trade out. They probably stay and take Barkley. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Browns *have* to take Barkley at #1 because either the Giants or Colts will grab him if they don't.  The only way Cleveland can play with the #1 selection is if QB-needy teams trade up to spots 2 AND 3.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, kdiggz said:

I posted this in another thread but I had a dream the other night that we moved all the way up to 2 and Cleveland picked Barkley so we had our choice of whatever QB we wanted. What an amazing position to be in, picking the top QB in the top QB draft of the decade. We picked Darnold. He ended up being horrible and the QB's selected after were all amazing. I woke up in a panic and I've been watching tape on Darnold ever since trying to figure out what people see in him. He looks bad. I'm very worried now. I said if they traded up I would be happy with whoever they selected but now that this is a real possibility I'm scared they are going to screw it up. Rosen is the best QB in the draft. Don't over think it. Just do it Beane

Dude, you've posted something negative about Darnold not just in that one thread but in EVERY thread lately. We get it. You don't like him. Others disagree. Relax. You don't have to work out your anxieties in every thread. Everyone who reads this board knows how you feel.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, kdiggz said:

I posted this in another thread but I had a dream the other night that we moved all the way up to 2 and Cleveland picked Barkley so we had our choice of whatever QB we wanted. What an amazing position to be in, picking the top QB in the top QB draft of the decade. We picked Darnold. He ended up being horrible and the QB's selected after were all amazing. I woke up in a panic and I've been watching tape on Darnold ever since trying to figure out what people see in him. He looks bad. I'm very worried now. I said if they traded up I would be happy with whoever they selected but now that this is a real possibility I'm scared they are going to screw it up. Rosen is the best QB in the draft. Don't over think it. Just do it Beane

You make me feel better about myself. I thought I was obsessed! Wow you make me seem halfway normal :) Thank you Sir!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is the QB anxiety thread...I thought I was in a safe space :unsure:

  • Haha 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, kdiggz said:

This is the QB anxiety thread...I thought I was in a safe space :unsure:

Ha ha. Fair point. Have at it.

 

I would hate to admit the number of crazy dreams I've had about the Bills over the last 50 years.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, kdiggz said:

This is the QB anxiety thread...I thought I was in a safe space :unsure:

We’re not on a college campus. No safe space here. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If your OC doesn't know what he's doing, it doesn't matter.  

 

#MostOverLookedPartOfThis

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Chosen Rosen 

Just now, Big Blitz said:

If your OC doesn't know what he's doing, it doesn't matter.  

 

#MostOverLookedPartOfThis

 

This is a great point

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

I really hope Cleveland takes Josh Allen at 1. I'm starting to buy the smoke. I'd like them to be forced to choose between Rosen/Darnold/Mayfield.

100% agree, I think those 3 players are can't miss franchise QBs.

 

Darnold being the one I'm least sold on but everyone swears he is the next Andrew luck so, OK, i guess. If Beane takes him i trust it.

 

Baker is my guy, will be the best QB from this draft 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, eball said:

Browns *have* to take Barkley at #1 because either the Giants or Colts will grab him if they don't.  The only way Cleveland can play with the #1 selection is if QB-needy teams trade up to spots 2 AND 3.

Which likely won't happen until after the Browns pick.  The Browns have to know that there's a chance that if they pick Barkley 1st overall their coveted quarterback may not be there at #4.  It will be an interesting start to the draft.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, QBorBust2018 said:

First of all, I would hate to be Cleveland.  I really don’t know who I want the bills to select. If a few are already off the board, then nothing you can do about it. Easier choice between 2 vs 3 prospects. 

 

Also, why did Sam Darnold not throw at the combine ? I watched his interview, “it was the best decision for me.”  Mayock put him on blast. If you have confidence you should want to go and compete.  Sure I like Darnold and would be happy to have him on the team, but If other options off the board by the time we pick. Pretty disappointed with his choice. 

 

Initially it was Darnold, then I liked Mayfield. Now Rosen.  Back to being split on Mayfield/Rosen. 

 

Glad I don’t have to make this decision. 

 

According to Mayock, during the combine, he said Darnold was feeling sore from to much practice and didn't want to throw...but he will throw at his pro day...Mayock then asked "what's he gonna do during the week when he's sore but he's got a game on sunday?"....said all the QB's are throwing to ppl they aren't used to and coaches know that

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, eball said:

Browns *have* to take Barkley at #1 because either the Giants or Colts will grab him if they don't.  The only way Cleveland can play with the #1 selection is if QB-needy teams trade up to spots 2 AND 3.

Or Cleveland themselves trade up to 2. The Giants are a tough team to figure out who they could be targeting if Barkley goes #1.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, The Jokeman said:

Or Cleveland themselves trade up to 2. The Giants are a tough team to figure out who they could be targeting if Barkley goes #1.

 

Which is why they're going to trade down.  The Beane/Gettleman relationship is going to get the Bills to #2.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, MrEpsYtown said:

 

I think they take Barkley, Bills trade to two for Rosen, Colts take Chubb, Cleveland takes Allen or Darnold. If Cleveland takes a quarterback at 1, I'm not sure the Giants trade out. They probably stay and take Barkley. 

 

7 hours ago, eball said:

Browns *have* to take Barkley at #1 because either the Giants or Colts will grab him if they don't.  The only way Cleveland can play with the #1 selection is if QB-needy teams trade up to spots 2 AND 3.

 

5 minutes ago, eball said:

 

Which is why they're going to trade down.  The Beane/Gettleman relationship is going to get the Bills to #2.

You guys get it. Add in that this was the known scenario for 1,2,3,4  BEFORE trading TT, and you have the roadmap to day one starter Rosen

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, QBorBust2018 said:

First of all, I would hate to be Cleveland.  I really don’t know who I want the bills to select. If a few are already off the board, then nothing you can do about it. Easier choice between 2 vs 3 prospects. 

 

Also, why did Sam Darnold not throw at the combine ? I watched his interview, “it was the best decision for me.”  Mayock put him on blast. If you have confidence you should want to go and compete.  Sure I like Darnold and would be happy to have him on the team, but If other options off the board by the time we pick. Pretty disappointed with his choice. 

 

Initially it was Darnold, then I liked Mayfield. Now Rosen.  Back to being split on Mayfield/Rosen. 

 

Glad I don’t have to make this decision. 

 

Many have not thrown at the combine and still were top 5 picks.  Not a big deal.  Just something for people to complain about.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Actually, the one way for the Browns to select Barkley at #1 and still end up with a Top 3 QB is if they really don't see much difference between Mayfield, Rosen and Darnold for example... If the Bills are successful trading up to #2, I'd expect the Bills to choose between Mayfield and Rosen. Who knows what Beane really feels... 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It makes sense to be anxious.  Going over the 1st round quarterbacks in the last ten years I think its around a 36% success rate.  At best that means 2 of the top 5 guys will be good players.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

×