DT Star Lotulelei to Bills!

2 hours ago, DCOrange said:

Wouldn't usually bother to post this, but considering how long it's gone without hearing the contract details, this popped up on my timeline last night:

This tweet would seem to imply that Star is getting a larger than expected contract rather than the other way around (or maybe Forbes is just lower on Star than the average person and underestimated his league-wide value).

Thanks for sharing. 

That definitely makes it seem like it won't necessarily be a bargain contract. 

Plus he did agree to terms with the Bills pretty quickly after free agency officially opened. 

I just don't understand why the numbers haven't been released yet... 

12 minutes ago, BillsFan4 said:

Thanks for sharing. 

That definitely makes it seem like it won't necessarily be a bargain contract. 

Plus he did agree to terms with the Bills pretty quickly after free agency officially opened. 

I just don't understand why the numbers haven't been released yet... 

Maybe the Bills are trying to bring in a second DT (Suh,Logan, Poe,Richardson) and don't want to release the numbers to be used against them?

• Like (+1) 4

11 minutes ago, CountDorkula said:

Maybe the Bills are trying to bring in a second DT (Suh,Logan, Poe,Richardson) and don't want to release the numbers to be used against them?

this is a pretty good theory actually.

• Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, Chuck Wagon said:

No he wouldn't.  They are very similar players.  Need to put a guy who can penetrate next to Star.

Having to guys who eat up doubles in the middle would be a great thing.

Poe and Loutolelei(sp?) would be a great one two, IMO.

Just now, Magox said:

It's a really good year to draft a DT.

Agreed.  Get a DT (perhaps the guy from Michigan whose name is escaping me) at 22 if he's there.  Some other good players will be available in Rd. 2 also.  And we have some good DT's to learn from.  I like that we are getting vets at positions where we will also likely draft someone.    

Guest K-GunJimKelly12
9 minutes ago, RyanC883 said:

Agreed.  Get a DT (perhaps the guy from Michigan whose name is escaping me) at 22 if he's there.  Some other good players will be available in Rd. 2 also.  And we have some good DT's to learn from.  I like that we are getting vets at positions where we will also likely draft someone.    

Maurice Hurst is the DT from Michigan but they found out at the combine that he has a heart condition and it is unclear if he will be forced to retire before his career starts.

Alexander was just in WGR talking about Star.  

Said he’s one of those guys that pop out on film.  Strong and can move to...knows how to scrap.  Alexander especially paid attention to him because he played with his brother and always talked about him.  

Alexander stated scheme wise, he will play over the nose a lot so Star will keep him clean.

Star helps the pass rush because he creates a wall in the middle directly in front of the QB so he won’t be able to step.  allows edge rushers less margin of error because can’t step up to avoid the pressure.

• Thank you (+1) 2

10 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Alexander was just in WGR talking about Star.  

Said he’s one of those guys that pop out on film.  Strong and can move to...knows how to scrap.  Alexander especially paid attention to him because he played with his brother and always talked about him.  

Alexander stated scheme wise, he will play over the nose a lot so Star will keep him clean.

Star helps the pass rush because he creates a wall in the middle directly in front of the QB so he won’t be able to step.  allows edge rushers less margin of error because can’t step up to avoid the pressure.

i know they played in completely different schemes but elite space eaters that come to mind are casey Hampton and kris Jenkins. if he can even come close to that sort of role the other players will flourish. its a really underrated role if ya have somebody that does it well..... I would say, judging by the Carolina run d how free keuchly and davis were, Star is a solid one.

Edited by Stank_Nasty

4 hours ago, DCOrange said:

Wouldn't usually bother to post this, but considering how long it's gone without hearing the contract details, this popped up on my timeline last night:

This tweet would seem to imply that Star is getting a larger than expected contract rather than the other way around (or maybe Forbes is just lower on Star than the average person and underestimated his league-wide value).

Any credibility to this “projection?”

https://www.google.com/amp/s/247sports.com/nfl/carolina-panthers/Bolt/Calculating-Panthers-free-agent-Star-Lotuleleis-market-value-114114027/Amp

1 hour ago, CountDorkula said:

Having to guys who eat up doubles in the middle would be a great thing.

Poe and Loutolelei(sp?) would be a great one two, IMO.

It's not 1998.  You need to get pressure on the QB up the middle.  Two fat run stuffers at DT would let the secondary get picked apart.

2 minutes ago, Chuck Wagon said:

It's not 1998.  You need to get pressure on the QB up the middle.  Two fat run stuffers at DT would let the secondary get picked apart.

Top 50 sack leaders last year. Only 3 DT's. There are very few DT's who actually "Penetrate" and create sacks

DT's mostly get sacks by the pocket collapsing on the QB from the outsides (DTs doing their jobs clogging up the middle taking on blockers) and the QB steps up into the sack. 

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, CountDorkula said:

Top 50 sack leaders last year. Only 3 DT's. There are very few DT's who actually "Penetrate" and create sacks

DT's mostly get sacks by the pocket collapsing on the QB from the outsides (DTs doing their jobs clogging up the middle taking on blockers) and the QB steps up into the sack. 

I didn't say "get sacks".

Quick pressure up the middle forces the QB to get rid of the ball quickly.  A lot of offenses are predicated on timing and getting the ball out.  Penetration up the middle through DT is how you knock that timing off.  You don't build a defensive line in 2018 by putting two block eating "run stoppers" together at DT, bottom line.

1 hour ago, Chuck Wagon said:

I didn't say "get sacks".

Quick pressure up the middle forces the QB to get rid of the ball quickly.  A lot of offenses are predicated on timing and getting the ball out.  Penetration up the middle through DT is how you knock that timing off.  You don't build a defensive line in 2018 by putting two block eating "run stoppers" together at DT, bottom line.

Penetration has always been Kyle's role.  He is not as effective at this consistently as once was for sure, although still effective at times, especially if someone next to him is occupying two blockers.  Washington was supposed to be this but has not shown it.  I expect the Bills to look for Kyle's replacement in this draft.

When Dareus was actually playing well, prior to his big fat contract, he was also able to penetrate as well as tie up blockers.  Rare skill set and why he was paid.  Unfortunately, he has not been that player since.  Fatter, slower, and less motivated year to year.  He is no longer that player, and a problem as well, hence his replacement with Star.

3 hours ago, K-GunJimKelly12 said:

Maurice Hurst is the DT from Michigan but they found out at the combine that he has a heart condition and it is unclear if he will be forced to retire before his career starts.

I hear he was cleared for his pro day?