Who is this year's Ryan Leaf?

With so many QBs expected to go in the first, at least one of them is bound to bust.  

Who and why?

For the record, I say Josh Rosen.  He has the footballs skills, but I question his attitude, coachability and commitment to football long term.  

Discuss. 

There was only one Ryan Leaf, but there is always a number of 1st Rounds busts from every draft. I think Josh Allen and Lamar Jacson will be busts. I think Courtland Sutton might not live up to expectations. I think Josh Jackson might flop at CB and get flipped to S. There are always players that just don't pan out. 

I remember reading a excerpt from Polian's book.

At the combine interview Peyton came in with a brief case , took out his notes and asked the Indy brass questions.

When he left Polian asked did he just interview us ?

Ryan Leaf supposedly blew off his interview with Indy. 

19 minutes ago, ChicagoRic said:

With so many QBs expected to go in the first, at least one of them is bound to bust.  

Who and why?

For the record, I say Josh Rosen.  He has the footballs skills, but I question his attitude, coachability and commitment to football long term.  

Discuss. 

If I had to pick one, it would be Rosen, too.  His stock is dropping from everything I hear, as teams are being scared by the things you said, from what I have been reading. So, he could be the next Ryan Branch, if he  has a brittle personality AND physique (injuries.). Or he could be the next Aaron Rogers. Who knows. The others do not worry me as much, despite their flaws too.

There isn't a "Ryan Leaf" in every draft class.

Johnny Manziel was the "Ryan Leaf" of his class.

I don't see a "Ryan Leaf" in this class.  I don't think any of the top prospects take success as a given.

I don't see an "Andrew Luck" in this class either, in the form of a guy who has all the tools for success and who will make it as an NFL QB.  They all have potential, and they all have flaws.

30 minutes ago, ChicagoRic said:

Who and why?

Discuss. 

I think that's silly.  You can have no idea about any of that, and his actual coaches (HS and college) and teammates speak highly of him.

With Rosen, IMHO, the real question is his injury history, having already had 2 concussions and having had shoulder problems that shut him down from athletic activity twice. 

But there are similar questions about Mayfield - is he too cocky, when he struggles to adjust to the NFL with his height and sporadically poor field vision, will his habit of reading everything written about him and using it for motivation overwhelm him and cause him to implode?  Will Darnold's armstrength compensate for his weird throwing technique?  Can Allen actually improve his accuracy and his field vision/pocket sense?  Can Rudolph adjust to an NFL offense and read NFL defenses?  Can Jackson continue to improve his sporadic technique lapses and will he learn to slide?

Edited by Hapless Bills Fan
  • Like (+1) 1

To obtain the second draft pick, the team traded its third overall pick, a future first round pick, a second round pick, and three-time Pro Bowler Eric Metcalf to the Arizona Cardinals, guaranteeing the Chargers the right to draft whichever of the two quarterbacks Indianapolis did not take first. Manning was drafted first by the Colts and Leaf second by the Chargers

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ryan_Leaf

oops 

If by "Ryan Leaf" you mean QB that will be selected way too high and flame out...his name is Mason Rudolph. He has a Christian Ponder career path at best in my opinion. 

I can see Josh Allen going either way. If he goes to the right situation and can sit behind a quality QB for a couple years with a good staff to teach him, he could be great. The Giants with Shurmer and Eli would be awesome for him. If he is expected to start right away I can see him flaming out.

I think that Baker Mayfield would be the most likely. The only reason I'm saying this is not because of any lack of drive or effort, but more so that his personality seems the most volatile and he's made a few irrational decisions. Is it a flaw, or is it just immaturity?

• Like (+1) 1

I’d much rather get one of these free agents, and draft whoever is. Best at 21.  We can then fill in our holes with the rest of the picks.  I’d take Keenam, Foles and consider we might not have to give a high pick for him if we give Philly Glenn. Dawkins and can fill in the need at LT, and I think. Groy played very well.

there is always more risk going up for one of the. Top picks but I get we would save money than a free agent.  We’re at 33 million in space, and Glenn would be even more loading that contract.

im open to people’s thoughts as I don’t know everything and can see both sides.  

1 minute ago, machine gun kelly said:

I’d much rather get one of these free agents, and draft whoever is. Best at 21.  We can then fill in our holes with the rest of the picks.  I’d take Keenam, Foles and consider we might not have to give a high pick for him if we give Philly Glenn. Dawkins and can fill in the need at LT, and I think. Groy played very well.

there is always more risk going up for one of the. Top picks but I get we would save money than a free agent.  We’re at 33 million in space, and Glenn would be even more loading that contract.

this is a logical post,  and u will find that many on this board hate logic.   

• Like (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, machine gun kelly said:

17 minutes ago, bigduke6 said:

this is a logical post,  and u will find that many on this board hate logic.   

It's not logical.

Keenum is as big a risk as any QB in the draft.

He was hot garbage before this year's anomaly.

Foles?

The eagles want a 1st and a 4th. 

They don't want Glenn.

They want draft picks.

Foles won't be cheap, especially after Tyrod got a high third.

• Like (+1) 1

32 minutes ago, No Place To Hyde said:

If by "Ryan Leaf" you mean QB that will be selected way too high and flame out...his name is Mason Rudolph. He has a Christian Ponder career path at best in my opinion. 

I can see Josh Allen going either way. If he goes to the right situation and can sit behind a quality QB for a couple years with a good staff to teach him, he could be great. The Giants with Shurmer and Eli would be awesome for him. If he is expected to start right away I can see him flaming out.

With all respect, I don't see that analogy at all.  From anything that's come out, Rudolph is a hard-worker who accepts the need to focus and work hard at the next level.

That is NO WAY like Ryan Leaf.  He may, despite his best efforts, turn out to be a backup or marginal starter, sort of an EJ Manuel, though I think he has significant signs of being a better, more complete college QB than Manuel ever was.

I agree about Allen, but again, no signs that he'll be a "Ryan Leaf" cocky, arrogant, "I'm here, why do I have to stop partying and work?" Leaf/Manziel kind of guy

28 minutes ago, 1billsfan said:

I think that Baker Mayfield would be the most likely. The only reason I'm saying this is not because of any lack of drive or effort, but more so that his personality seems the most volatile and he's made a few irrational decisions. Is it a flaw, or is it just immaturity?

I think his volatile nature is a flaw in him as the little guy who has to contstantly prove himself all of the time. I think that can cause a person to be defensive. I agree and I think he definitely has the potential to get fat. I just don't like his body type and I'm not sure he will be able to take the pounding the NFL will bring.