Who is this year's Ryan Leaf?

1 hour ago, Royale with Cheese said:

I think there’s only one Ryan Leaf.

10 minutes ago, ganesh said:

Agreed..More of who is the Akili Smith or Jamrcus Russell or Heath Shuler...

I would rank Russell as the bigger bust than Leaf. 

The Raiders passed on 3 future HoF'ers in 2007 in favor of Russell: Calvin Johnson #2, Joe Thomas #3, Adrian Peterson #7

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I don't see an "Andrew Luck" in this class either, in the form of a guy who has all the tools for success and who will make it as an NFL QB.  They all have potential, and they all have flaws.

In my opinion, comparing someone to Andrew Luck these days means an injury risk who may never live up to his enormous potential, which to me means Rosen.

Saying a QB is the next Andrew Luck no longer means a sure thing.

29 minutes ago, machine gun kelly said:

I’d much rather get one of these free agents, and draft whoever is. Best at 21.  We can then fill in our holes with the rest of the picks.  I’d take Keenam, Foles and consider we might not have to give a high pick for him if we give Philly Glenn. Dawkins and can fill in the need at LT, and I think. Groy played very well.

there is always more risk going up for one of the. Top picks but I get we would save money than a free agent.  We’re at 33 million in space, and Glenn would be even more loading that contract.

im open to people’s thoughts as I don’t know everything and can see both sides.  

I am on record of being in favor of selling the farm to try to land Cousins, because unlike any of the draft prospects he has an actual 3 year track record of NFL success.  He is as close as one can find on the market to being a sure thing at QB, AND we could then fill the holes with the rest of the picks.

Keenum, IMHO, is far from a sure bet.  If you watch careful film of him last year, he does not have pinpoint accuracy and was helped by having two WR and a TE with large catch radius.  He may continue as he was last year, which is good, or when parted from Shurmer and his supporting cast, he may regress.  Same for Foles. 

They both need a good OL to function acceptably.  Dawkins Groy Mills ..... not good enough.

Both Foles and Keenum are going to want big $$.  The worse case under the Cap system is for a team is to spend big money on a guy who turns out to not be all that (Glennon, Osweiler).  It is lower risk to take a rookie who may not pan out, and try again.  Foles in addition would be a "worst case" as he will cost both money and picks.

(Aside: can people please spend 2 seconds thinking "what's in it for the other guy?" before proposing whatever?  The Eagles are in Cap Hell.  They have an LT signed through 2019, and a decent backup.  They do not need Glenn, and they can not take on his salary.  They need and want picks, not high priced players we deem superfluous)

I don't think there can be another Ryan Leaf.  Part of what made him the biggest bust was the fact it was a coin toss between Manning and Leaf as the by far best two players in the class.  Manning going down as arguably the best QB all time and Leaf going down slowly with all the drama of his attitude and addiction later on.  It's very hard to repeat all those circumstances and not every bust is Ryan Leaf just as every non 1st round QB success is a Tom Brady.

1 minute ago, buffaloboyinATL said:

In my opinion, comparing someone to Andrew Luck these days means an injury risk who may never live up to his enormous potential, which to me means Rosen.

Saying a QB is the next Andrew Luck no longer means a sure thing.

The Colts got 3 straight years of pro-bowl play, taking them to 11-5 records and successively deeper into the playoffs in Luck's 1st 3 years.  Luck was carrying that team, as can be seen by what happened when he went down.

Yes, at this point, Luck is a huge injury risk but that's the fault of the Colts for not putting enough into an OL to properly protect their investment, not a reflection on Luck's actual talent to play QB.  He was "all that".

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

The Colts got 3 straight years of pro-bowl play, taking them to 11-5 records and successively deeper into the playoffs in Luck's 1st 3 years.  Luck was carrying that team, as can be seen by what happened when he went down.

Yes, at this point, Luck is a huge injury risk but that's the fault of the Colts for not putting enough into an OL to properly protect their investment, not a reflection on Luck's actual talent to play QB.  He was "all that".

I agree wth all of that. Just pointing out that even a "sure thing" like Andrew Luck won't guarantee success for your franchise. No matter how universally praised a QB is coming out of college, there is still risk. That's why you have to take a chance and hope your scouts are right if they see one that they think fits your system. 

21 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

With all respect, I don't see that analogy at all.  From anything that's come out, Rudolph is a hard-worker who accepts the need to focus and work hard at the next level.

That is NO WAY like Ryan Leaf.  He may, despite his best efforts, turn out to be a backup or marginal starter, sort of an EJ Manuel, though I think he has significant signs of being a better, more complete college QB than Manuel ever was.

I agree about Allen, but again, no signs that he'll be a "Ryan Leaf" cocky, arrogant, "I'm here, why do I have to stop partying and work?" Leaf/Manziel kind of guy

Full agreement with the attitude. That's why I quantified what I said with "QB selected too early and flamed out" part.

When people say "Next Ryan Leaf" it can mean a lot of different things to people. Just attitude relates? Just highly touted and never panned out? The OP was somewhat vague about which.

When it comes to just attitude or lazyness type stuff, I honestly don't see any of the 6 being like that. I actually think that they all have reasons to point at and say "He's going to have a chip on his shoulder and try and prove people wrong"

16 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I am on record of being in favor of selling the farm to try to land Cousins, because unlike any of the draft prospects he has an actual 3 year track record of NFL success.  He is as close as one can find on the market to being a sure thing at QB, AND we could then fill the holes with the rest of the picks.

Keenum, IMHO, is far from a sure bet.  If you watch careful film of him last year, he does not have pinpoint accuracy and was helped by having two WR and a TE with large catch radius.  He may continue as he was last year, which is good, or when parted from Shurmer and his supporting cast, he may regress.  Same for Foles. 

They both need a good OL to function acceptably.  Dawkins Groy Mills ..... not good enough.

Both Foles and Keenum are going to want big $$.  The worse case under the Cap system is for a team is to spend big money on a guy who turns out to not be all that (Glennon, Osweiler).  It is lower risk to take a rookie who may not pan out, and try again.  Foles in addition would be a "worst case" as he will cost both money and picks.

(Aside: can people please spend 2 seconds thinking "what's in it for the other guy?" before proposing whatever?  The Eagles are in Cap Hell.  They have an LT signed through 2019, and a decent backup.  They do not need Glenn, and they can not take on his salary.  They need and want picks, not high priced players we deem superfluous)

Large catch radius you say? We do have Benjamin and Clay...

I'd take a guy that's done it for a year over a guy that's never done it. Keenum has been working at being a starter since he came in to the league. He's only a one year wonder if he flames out this year and there was really no sign of that happening by the end of last year.

2 hours ago, ChicagoRic said:

With so many QBs expected to go in the first, at least one of them is bound to bust.  

Who and why?

For the record, I say Josh Rosen.  He has the footballs skills, but I question his attitude, coachability and commitment to football long term.  

Discuss. 

What a brave and fresh new topic.  Then I love how you give us permission to "discuss".

32 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Entirely, ENTIRELY too much logic in this statement......sadly most eyes will glaze over this gem of a comment.

FWIIW - I say Darnold is the biggest flame out......

48 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

I think his volatile nature is a flaw in him as the little guy who has to contstantly prove himself all of the time. I think that can cause a person to be defensive. I agree and I think he definitely has the potential to get fat. I just don't like his body type and I'm not sure he will be able to take the pounding the NFL will bring. 

That's how I look at Baker too.  As long as he's succeeding, he's able to take in all the criticism and use it as a chip on his shoulder.  But with a guy that emotional, what happens when he's throwing picks and is the reason for losing while getting hit in the mouth weekly?  Is he going to throw his teammates under the bus?  Lash out against fans or the media?  I really worry about a guy at that position that seems to have that big of rabbit ears when it comes to things like social media.  It was a long time ago, but walking out on Texas Tech when he wasn't handed the job is pretty concerning, he's also had his share of big game meltdowns.

• Like (+1) 1

Never liked the Leaf comparisons. How about who will be the next EJ Manuel / JP Losman? Keep it close to home. Just don't pick someone who goes by initials for their first name and Bills will already be in a better place (that also goes in line w/ CJ Spiller).