If you went to college

BillsNYC

• Replies 251
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Better rethink that.

Every Chef will tell you that the work is long, hot and highly underpaid.

The guys you see on TV are the top .00000001% and extremely talented. Most chefs toil in obscurity.

271076[/snapback]

Didn't say I wanted to be the next Emiril. Obscurity is fine with me.

And "underpaid" means you think you should be getting more money for what you are doing (a term often used by people who hate work). Loving what you do and making less is far more important that hating every day at work and making tons of money.

I'm not saying I'm going to Culinary school tomorrow, but I've thought about it for years... that post wouldn't sway me...

Better rethink that.

Every Chef will tell you that the work is long, hot and highly underpaid.

The guys you see on TV are the top .00000001% and extremely talented. Most chefs toil in obscurity.

271076[/snapback]

Yes, but they do it beacuse they love it! My GF is a chef, still looking for aplace to make her mark. Actually, let me rephrase, she's a baker, more into ckaes and desserts than anything.

Yes, but they do it beacuse they love it! My GF is a chef, still looking for aplace to make her mark. Actually, let me rephrase, she's a baker, more into ckaes and desserts than anything.

271080[/snapback]

On top of that, she's hot.......(damn lucky BASTARD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)

I don't know if this has any bearing on your situation, but here in Georgia they have recently passed legislation that anyone with a four year degree is eligible to be a teacher. All you have to do is pass a certification exam, I believe.

271075[/snapback]

It doesn't. I still don't have my undergraduate degree.

Although I'm sure here in Maryland they have some sort of law that says, "anyone who can spell the word 'teacher' correctly can teach". They are so hard up for teachers here.

271080[/snapback]

I think a lot of people think being a chef is glamorous. It really isn't. Like anything else it takes a lot of dedication and hard work.

I've worked in kitchens and seen it myself. The chefs work as hard or harder than the cooks and line cooks.

Is it something you can do part time?  I need to find out what I need to do to get my Math degree.  I'm sure I've lost tons of credits and probably have to start basically at the beginning again.  That sucks. 

It could be worse.  My wife stopped 7 credits short of graduating.  She had to, because of work.

270998[/snapback]

I should have mentioned:

Dropped out from SUNY Geneseo in 1973 to see the world; a year later I was making popcorn poppers in a sweatshop for minimum wage. :blink:

After I had a wife, house, and three kids, I went back to school, part time nights. Took me 8 years. I often worked two jobs, and had to skip semesters now and then because we had no funds. My company matched the tuition as long as my grades did not suck. Graduated with high honors (3.57) and an Associates in Business in '92.

I cannot say it did much for my career, but it did a lot for ME. :D

I'm sure it will happen for me, at some point.  Like one of my former high school teachers told me when I did my classroom observations, "you can always go back and teach".

271058[/snapback]

I hope so. Of course, none of it means anything if you're not happy at the core. Besides, once you have a child, you become a teacher whether you like it or not. :blink:

I hope so. Of course, none of it means anything if you're not happy at the core. Besides, once you have a child, you become a teacher whether you like it or not. :blink:

271095[/snapback]

You got that right :D

And yours is just a munchkin yet. Not even walking, yes?

I cannot say it did much for my career, but it did a lot for ME.  :blink:

271089[/snapback]

I know exactly what you mean.......going back to school and achieving at a high level can do wonders for self concept, motivation, work ethic, etc.

It doesn't.  I still don't have my undergraduate degree.

Although I'm sure here in Maryland they have some sort of law that says, "anyone who can spell the word 'teacher' correctly can teach".  They are so hard up for teachers here.

271086[/snapback]

Hey, Rich - our little girl (babyrock) just got a job teaching in Brooklyn, at Bensonhurst Elementary. :blink:

On top of that, she's hot.......(damn lucky BASTARD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)

271084[/snapback]

What can I say, I'm lucky to have her. She's terrific, and I will marry her someday, but more than anything, i love giving her a hard time.

I'll look into her eyes lovingly, and say things like: "I hope my next girlfriend is as great as you" or "If you didnt like the 49ers, we'd be married by now." She'll alwyas hit me for it, but she knows I kid. "I kid! I kid"

Hey, Rich - our little girl (babyrock) just got a job teaching in Brooklyn, at Bensonhurst Elementary.  :blink:

271105[/snapback]

That's great! Tell her I said congrats. I'd go tell her myself and all, but you did say Bensonhurst, didn't you?

Going back to school is one of the best decisions I ever made. A good professor can make all the difference. Yeah, the half naked girls are a bonus as well. This is what I did yesterday. I went to accounting class and learned how to write off a family vacation to Hawaii. Afterwards went down to the student center for some free pizza and a massage. (massage therapy is a major here) Find the girl with the best miniskirt and wait your turn to be rubbed on. :blink:

AA from Campbell University

Nearly done with my Bachelor's in Criminal Justice from UNC Wilmington if these damn deployments overseas would quit slowing me down... :blink:

271130[/snapback]

I had a couple of high school friends go to UNCW, good times indeed. Probably my favorite area in the states.

I dunno but they are University at Buffalo not U of B

271123[/snapback]

It's the State University of New York AT Buffalo... but also acceptable (familiar) is "University of Buffalo", which it was once properly called. My old man graduated from the smallest class that U.B. Law ever graduated, twelve guys in 1943. It was actually a private school back then. And when I got there in '77, we were still using the same damn gymn, over on Winspear. (*sigh*) The memories...

BA: Hamilton College - 2001 (famous Alumni: ...Alexander Hamilton? :blink: )

Just got accepted to Boston University for Graduate School.

Look out debt, here I come! :D

271118[/snapback]

Hamilton College - good school. I was just own the road at Colgate University ('92). Strangely enough, Colgate is located in Hamilton, NY but Hamilton College is located in Clinton, NY.

You must have been ticked at the 60 Minutes story a few months back where they did a story about schools that just gave away degrees to anyone via mail - they highlighted a "school" called Hamilton University. I kept waiting for the story to point out that Hamilton University, while a sham, shouldn't be confused with Hamilton College, a very good school, but they never did. I imagine many Hamilton alums were ticked...

That's great!  Tell her I said congrats.  I'd go tell her myself and all, but you did say Bensonhurst, didn't you?

271119[/snapback]

She does not live there, she lives up by Prospect Park. Bensonhurst seems to be an area that is seeing an increase in Chinese and Russian immigrants. The kids there really want to learn. She has taught on the east side of Manhattan and Chinatown, and is used to living in Brooklyn.

Is there something I do not know about Bensonhurst you were trying to tell me? :D:blink:

Hamilton College - good school. I was just own the road at Colgate University ('92). Strangely enough, Colgate is located in Hamilton, NY but Hamilton College is located in Clinton, NY.

You must have been ticked at the 60 Minutes story a few months back where they did a story about schools that just gave away degrees to anyone via mail - they highlighted a "school" called Hamilton University. I kept waiting for the story to point out that Hamilton University, while a sham, shouldn't be confused with Hamilton College, a very good school, but they never did. I imagine many Hamilton alums were ticked...

271171[/snapback]

Oh man, Hamilton has been kicked in the teeth over the past few months. That story, coupled with the whole Ward Churchill/Bill O'Reilly disaster... :blink:

Everyday it seems my degree loses more and more of it's luster! lol :D

I love Colgate though! Spent many nights there (and some of them I was even sober! lol)

It's the State University of New York AT Buffalo... but also acceptable (familiar) is "University of Buffalo", which it was once properly called. My old man graduated from the smallest class that U.B. Law ever graduated, twelve guys in 1943. It was actually a private school back then. And when I got there in '77, we were still using the same damn gymn, over on Winspear. (*sigh*) The memories...

271148[/snapback]

Wrong :blink::D:doh:

http://www.buffalo.edu/