Bills signings & TT trade point to trade up

Just now, thebandit27 said:

Yeah, 3 is clearly the catbird's seat for Buffalo.  I do think, however, that as long as Beane is working the phones leading up to the draft, he'll have the option to beat anyone else's offer.  Only Cleveland can compete with Buffalo in terms of ammunition.

Yep. Totally agree with that.  If the Bills want to get up it is absolutely on.  And I think they do want to get up.  Beane's two pressers at the senior bowl and the combine have been full of between the line hints to my ears at least.  

10 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Yep. Totally agree with that.  If the Bills want to get up it is absolutely on.  And I think they do want to get up.  Beane's two pressers at the senior bowl and the combine have been full of between the line hints to my ears at least.  

Frankly, the full court press on QB shows they are more than willing to move up.  You don't have the owner meeting with QBs who are going to be gone long before 21 if there's not across the board buy in on an aggressive move.  The legwork they are doing is not "would we be willing to take this guy if he falls to 21?" legwork, it's "is this guy worth moving up to get?".

As for the signings, I don't think that's a sign of anything beyond continually looking to add talent to the roster.

9 hours ago, NewEraBills said:

LOL.  I don 't read it this way.  The signings are the signings.  Anyone who thinks Odigyy is projected as a starter out of the gate isn't really analyzing this very well.  We don't even know what we have in Vontae Davis.  He's about to be 30.  Not really good for CB's.   Ivory I can see, but the other two right now are bodies.  The only thing that these signings point to for me is the Bills are not looking to mess up their chances for comp picks and they are trying to get people who can compete in spots where they really want to upgrade.  Right now nothing has been upgraded except for HB2.  Davis should be ready to go by camp but we'll see.  If he can play he's an upgrade.  We'll just have to wait to see how things play out.

The draft is anything but sure fire.   They no doubt anticipate as any rational team would that not everybody makes the final cut going into the regular season.    We have a lot of positions to be addressed this offseason.  

1 minute ago, Chuck Wagon said:

Frankly, the full court press on QB shows they are more than willing to move up.  You don't have the owner meeting with QBs who are going to be gone long before 21 if there's not across the board buy in on an aggressive move.  The legwork they are doing is not "would we be willing to take this guy if he falls to 21?" legwork, it's "is this guy worth moving up to get?".

As for the signings, I don't think that's a sign of anything beyond continually looking to add talent to the roster.

I suppose I think it is part of an overall strategy that goes:

2018 - Draft your QB of the future give up whatever it takes to get your guy, fill as much depth as you can in FA with cheap 1 or 2 year vet guys that don't hurt your cap long term as early as you can and try to keep your comp pick situation favourable for 2019.

2019 - Use your draft picks (in what I think at this moment is a deeper positional draft) including any comp picks to build young talent around your new QB and ween yourself off the short term, cheap vets approach they have used in 17 and 18.  

So not that 1 = the other especially... but that it is all part of a wider strategy.  

• Like (+1) 2

Stop it! My freaking head is spinning. It could be this or it could be that. What if this or what if that. If they do this then we will do that that. When all you fortune tellers declare all options are open and then one of the options comes to fruition don't expect credit for the prediction. As most of you predictors point out right now the Browns and the Giants are the linchpin teams for us. The two teams that can be added to that pivotal group are Denver and the Colts. :ph34r:

10 hours ago, Shaw66 said:

People are seeing in this what they want.  The early signings might also mean they're getting a few guys cheap bexcuse they're about to write a big check for a qb, like Foles.  

Just have to wait and see.  

I still think they won't trade up more than 10 spots in the first round.  I think they might not even do that.  Just take the best qb they see when it's their turn. 

This is about where my thoughts lie on the subject.  If Beane can sign street free agents who don't cost a lot, don't count in the compensatory draft formula, and might help the team, why wouldn't he, whether he is planning to trade up or not?

1 hour ago, PrimeTime101 said:

Well a Billsey move would to be to go up 10 spots and snatch Lamar Jackson lol.. But I believe in the GM and the system so I am not going to worry about that.

The days of being "Billsy" ended when McDermott showed up. No more swinging for the fences without it being part of the bigger plan. That's not to say they will be perfect from now on or the previous personnel people were completely terrible.

I'm confident the current personnel people from McBeane down know they need a QB who can make throws from the pocket and it'll take a move up to do it.

6 minutes ago, TigerJ said:

This is about where my thoughts lie on the subject.  If Beane can sign street free agents who don't cost a lot, don't count in the compensatory draft formula, and might help the team, why wouldn't he, whether he is planning to trade up or not?

Exactly.   

I keep saying it, but McBeane won't admit it - this is the Belichick/Parcells model.   You keep acquiring talented players (not stars, just talented guys) and plug them into your system.  If they take to it, you keep 'em, if they don't, cut 'em loose.   A lot of draft picks lets you add more talent.   Find your QB wherever you can.  

Bills probably will sign a free agent QB (or trade for Foles) and draft a qb with one of the picks they currently have.   

Only wild card I see in the situation is Lawson.   If they don't like Lawson (and I don't know if they do or don't), and if they could find another trade partner to get one more decent pick, THEN they might be positioned to trade up.   

But it's all just pure guess work.  

17 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I suppose I think it is part of an overall strategy that goes:

2018 - Draft your QB of the future give up whatever it takes to get your guy, fill as much depth as you can in FA with cheap 1 or 2 year vet guys that don't hurt your cap long term as early as you can and try to keep your comp pick situation favourable for 2019.

2019 - Use your draft picks (in what I think at this moment is a deeper positional draft) including any comp picks to build young talent around your new QB and ween yourself off the short term, cheap vets approach they have used in 17 and 18.  

So not that 1 = the other especially... but that it is all part of a wider strategy.  

Re comp picks, here's the way I see it right now:

The team has, IMO, 13 spots currently available on their final 53-man roster; this is assuming that they keep everyone that is currently under contract (including Marcus Murphy as the RB3).  Those spots are QB, WR (2), C, DT (3), LB (2), CB (2), S (2).

If you can manage to re-sign Leonard Johnson and one of your two backup safeties (S. Thomas or C. Anderson), and convince Kyle Williams to come back for one more year in a reduced role, then you take yourself down to 10 roster spots out of the final 53 that are needs: QB, WR (2), C, DT (2), LB (2), CB, S.

Here's where you need to feel confident in your ability to fill specific needs with draft picks and post-June 1st street FAs.  If the team feels confident that they can fill 5 needs in the draft--say, for example: QB in the 1st with a trade-up, DT in the 2nd, LB in the 4th, backup LB in the 5th, and CB4 in the 5th--that would put them in great shape to earn comp picks.  All they have to do after that is find a depth WR, backup C, and depth safety in the post-June 1st street FA market.  That would allow them to sign 2 starters in UFA and earn a high comp pick when Gaines/Matthews/P. Brown sign elsewhere.  If they manage to keep more 2018 draft picks in their trade-up or other UFAs from Buffalo sign CFA deals, then that would bring in additional picks.

That's how I see it.

• Like (+1) 1

57 minutes ago, Call_Of_Ktulu said:

Its looking more and more like the most realistic chance to move up is to 4 with Cleveland. Then it would just take our 21,22 and a 2nd. We can only pray Baker Mayfield lasts that long.

You're not even close with that offer.

57 minutes ago, Call_Of_Ktulu said:

Its looking more and more like the most realistic chance to move up is to 4 with Cleveland. Then it would just take our 21,22 and a 2nd. We can only pray Baker Mayfield lasts that long.

Baker Mayfield is THE guy this year just like Watson was last year. I don't think the Bills let another elite QB slip through the cracks again this year. 

41 minutes ago, JohnC said:

Stop it! My freaking head is spinning. It could be this or it could be that. What if this or what if that. If they do this then we will do that that. When all you fortune tellers declare all options are open and then one of the options comes to fruition don't expect credit for the prediction. As most of you predictors point out right now the Browns and the Giants are the linchpin teams for us. The two teams that can be added to that pivotal group are Denver and the Colts. :ph34r:

I’m not sure how I feel about this post. On the one hand you could be a disgruntled out of towner who was turned down for season tickets. On the other hand you could be a perfectly gruntled fan who is just a tad bit confused.

1 hour ago, Call_Of_Ktulu said:

That seems about right.  People forget that 21 and 22 this year are worth a lot more than 21 and next year’s first.  No one else can offer that.  As always, it will depend on what that market bears.

17 minutes ago, White Linen said:

You're not even close with that offer.

Disagree.

11 minutes ago, mannc said:

That seems about right.  People forget that 21 and 22 this year are worth a lot more than 21 and next year’s first.  No one else can offer that.  As always, it will depend on what that market bears.

Disagree.

There are teams that cannot offer the quantity of picks we have, but there are teams that can offer better value to teams at the top.

• Like (+1) 1

27 minutes ago, mannc said:

Disagree.

We'll soon find out but if you look at recent trades - that's not enough and there's much more competition this year because of the QB's in this years draft.

Edited by White Linen

1 hour ago, thebandit27 said:

This is the exact scenario I floated in the Box o' Shout yesterday:

Interesting scenario -- NYG Trade back 2 spots (CLE comes back up for Barkely/QB) then BUF trades up to 4th pick for QB. CLE gets Barkley/QB, BUF gets their QB and NYG get massive amount of picks in 2018 & 2019. Thoughts?

Hey Mom LAMP! 

image.png.ab7b26c503947e6fa1b6e5d891b674e6.png

In all seriousness, the colts may be willing to move since they have a trillion holes on that roster. So we have have to hedge our bet on this plan carefully...

• Like (+1) 1

I am quite certain the colts and giants are trading down.  The colts are building for the future while the giants want immediate starters. This means at least 3 qb go in top 4 picks.  The Giants have cap problems so trading Glenn to them is unlikely.  They probably want Dawkins both firsts and 1 second this year.  The colts would be more interested in a healthy Glenn and next years picks as well.