Sources: Dolphins to release Ndamukong Suh

34 minutes ago, Ittakestime said:

Post June does nothing but push damage to next year. Better off taking the hit at once and get it over with. 

Yeah but right now Miami is currently over the cap by $8 million. They have to be compliant in a bit less than 6 days (4pm March 14th). 

Next year they have about $57 million in cap space. 

Under normal circumstances it would probably be best to eat all that dead cap right away. But if Miami cuts Suh, it'll probably be because they decided to do it to be cap compliant. So in this instance it probably wouldn't make sense, since it would only free about $3M this year (and they need at least $8M just to be cap compliant, plus they'll need more to sign their draft picks, and even more if they want to try and sign any free agents). 

9 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Ah that’s right. Now they need to either trade him or work out an extension or they are locked in at that amount.

Wow! Is there any other team that is willing to pay Landry that much?

40 minutes ago, T-Bomb said:

Why does it seem like D-Linemen have a habit of not performing up to their big money contracts?  I have no stats on this, but it just seems like that group are the worst offenders.

I agree with the sentiment. Maybe it's because the position is valued/compensated very highly for the top end performers.

The Haynesworth contract a few years back was a nightmare. At the same time I'm not sure if any team that signed Ted Washington was disappointed.

Anything that helps to weaken a division rival is a win. :thumbsup:

19 minutes ago, Mark Vader said:

Nope :lol: Anyone that works out a trade would certainly have a deal in place to probably cut that cap number in half. 

33 minutes ago, Mark Vader said:

The Bears and Browns have been rumored to be very interested. The issue is that to trade someone on a tag, the player needs to also have an interest in signing with the other team long term or the team isn’t going to give up assets for a 1 year rental. That’s why it’s hard to trade a guy on a tag and it rarely happens. You need to identify a team who 1) wants the player 2) has the cap space 3) is willing to give up assets 4) is willing to pay the player’s asking price and 5) is a team the player is open to signing with long term. This is usually a short list. 

• Like (+1) 2

3 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

Ah that’s right. Now they need to either trade him or work out an extension or they are locked in at that amount.

Damn. I didn't know they had to carry the dead cap until June 2nd if they cut him and designate it post June 1st. 

So cutting him right now doesn't do much to help them get cap compliant. 

I figured that was the main reason they were discussing Suh as a possible cut... 

5 hours ago, aristocrat said:

He was the fifth best dt in the league last year. He’s lived up to his deal

The problem is there is NO way to live up to such a monster deal like that as an interior defensive lineman.