Would you rather have a manager like Rex or Marrone?

I had this discussion last night about people and management styles.  I've encountered all kinds.

So I was curious if people would in general prefer a more laid back manager like Rex?  Although things will probably eventually hit the fan and he may not have your back.

I think McDermott is the best out of all of them but that discussion kinda raised my curiosity 

Marrone reminds me a lot of Caughlin and Rex reminds me of Glanville if people remember him.  I think Marrone will be more consistent and probably over his career successful.  Rex had his flash of stardom.  He's lucky he had the co-ordinators he did and the talent.  Either people caught up to his defense or he isn't that good of a coach but his run of success slid off the rails and I'm of the idea you'll never see it again.

My boss at work lets you do your job.

When you stop doing your job properly he lets you know.

I hate micro managers and managers that don't hold people accountable.

So my boss is perfect for me.

As for the football side.

Marrone = Micro Manager

Wrex = Unaccountable

McD = looks like the real deal

• Like (+1) 1

Marrone.  An !@#$ who shoots straight will always be better than an !@#$ who just shoots off at the mouth.  I can deal with the flying bullets when they're true. Thee lipservice not so much.  !@#$ Rex Ryan, that belligerent blowhard douche.

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Seanbillsfan2206 said:

Marrone is a good coach and he was on to something in Buffalo. That being said, he’s a piece of **** and hope Jacksonville takes a nose dive next year

I expect the AFC South to be appreciably better than last year so Marrone will not have quite as easy.

• Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, Another Fan said:

I had this discussion last night about people and management styles.  I've encountered all kinds.

So I was curious if people would in general prefer a more laid back manager like Rex?  Although things will probably eventually hit the fan and he may not have your back.

I think McDermott is the best out of all of them but that discussion kinda raised my curiosity 

Assuming you mean choosing your own boss? 

Marrone the successful hardass

Rex the slacker who throws people under the bus

The only thing Rex would have over Marrone is he’d let us wear Sandals/flip flops  to work 

Edited by Over 29 years of fanhood

28 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

It’s a great question. I’ve always responded better to positive reinforcement and autonomy. I guess for me a Rex personality would be a better fit. 

In football I think both personalities can win if they are good coaches.

In a setting which is small and the work product revolves around creativity Rex would represent the better style. If the business was a prison for LA gang members who were there for life the Marrone method of management would work well. His preference for rote discipline and an oppressive inflexibility is an environment he would be comfortable in. 

The problem with a coach like Marrone, who did a very good job in Buffalo, is that there is a shelf life to him and his rigidity. Marrone is an acolyte of Bill Parcells. That era of  stern leadership where the coach screws with people to draw out their best doesn't work with this era of players who individually are working on their own personal brand. 

Another issue with Marrone is how would he work in an organizational structure where he doesn't have the full authority.  Conflicts are inevitable in all organizations. But when they are lingering and become personal challenges then they become poisonous. In Jacksonville it is a good situation because he is working under an old time hard arse Irishman who would kick him in the nuts and throw him out of the door if he acted out as he has a tendency to do. 

• Like (+1) 1