Reasons why we shouldn’t trade off our draft picks.

1. First off the QB position isn’t our only need. There’s several positions that are either aged or totally lacking of top caliber talent. Plus the cost of moving up in the draft would not only gut this year’s picks but would more than likely tap into some of next year’s as well.

2. How many times has it been stated that the best way to build a roster is through the draft. A team can’t do it without and/or minimal picks.

3. It appears that we are plugging holes with FAs, especially with prove it type contracts.  Here’s the thing though, don’t lose sight that these will become holes to fill in the near future (2019?). That is why it’s important to retain our current top draft picks and use them on up and coming players with cap friendly contracts. The holes that Beane is filling today are holes that going to be filled tomorrow so to speak. Don’t be surprised that these are going to be the same positions that we draft for. We need better contracts with younger players and this is how you do it.

4. I would like to see us to keep on following this blueprint of plug and play veterans that give us roster depth for the time being until we can get through these next 2 years (2018 and 2019). Furthermore I think that the Bills should use this philosophy also in securing a QB (Keenum?) that replaces Tyrod. 

5. To elaborate more on the contract mindset just look at our DT position as an example. I’m paraphrasing here so bear with me, my numbers may not be completely accurate but this is really more about making a point. An aging Kyle Williams is still up in the air and we have 1, possibly 2 unproven DTs on the current roster. If I’m not mistaken Ndamukong Suh is going to count something like 26M towards Miami’s cap. The Rams’ Aaron Donald is up for a new contract, hence the Rams trading off some of their top defensive players (Alec Ogletree and Robert Quinn). They are prioritizing, creating cap space for re-signing and retaining some of their current players at other positions, Donald, Watkins etc etc. The Bills can’t afford contracts like Suh’s and soon to be re-signed Donald’s. Some of the reason for Dareus being traded was due to his absorbent contract, it was way out of whack.

In closing I want to point out one last thing. Beane inherited the current affairs, he didn’t create it. It’s going to take some time to turn things around and balance not only the caliber of player but also the caliber of their contracts. It’s a business and our books are in somewhat of a shamble. We haven’t had a real GM in God knows how long, it seems like it has been run by a committee for almost as long as I can remember. Now I don’t know how good of a GM Beane is or if he’s the right guy but at least this administration/front office is finally getting structured the proper way.

With all this being said I can hardly wait to see what the Bills are going to do in free agency and the upcoming daft!

Go Bills!

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Trading up for a QB ... IS building through the draft.

People want to pretend it's not. It is. It's the best way to build through the draft, provided you get the right guy, of course.

The bottom line is that it's this simple. If you don't have a franchise QB, getting one is your number one priority. Same with about 17 other clubs at any given time. So if you have a chance to get one, you take it.

Edited by Thurman#1
  • Like (+1) 10
  • Thank you (+1) 2

So overpaying a 30yr old RB on his last legs is a sign in the right direction? I think this front office has a good feel for defensive talent but so far on the offensive side of the ball they have showed that there offensive acumen is lacking at best.

From putting Tyrod in the wrong offense to stripping him away of proper weapons and the worst thing putting Tolbert at #2 bk when in his prime he wasn't even thought of as a #2 back i mean it took him 11yrs to be a #2 back, smh. Last but not least passing on Mahomes and Watson was a humongous mistake that we can possibly dreading for yrs to come. Oh yea plus trading up Lame Jones when there was way better Wrs later in the draft.  These moves on the offensive side of the ball have proven to be futile at best. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

There's no one at the top that's worth trading up for, point blank.

We've got back to back moderately high picks with reasonable expectation that there will be guys there worth taking.

Oh, You want a QB???  -Tough s__t.

As of right now, we don't have an offensive staff capable of developing a rookie QB... Leslie Frazier, and Sean McDermott are both experienced D-coordinators.

I'd rather give them  D. Payne and R. Evans, and see what they make.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, #34fan said:

We've got back to back moderately high picks with reasonable expectation that there will be guys there worth taking.

As of right now, we don't have an offensive staff capable of developing a rookie QB... Leslie Frazier, and Sean McDermott are both experienced D-coordinators.

That would be rather amazing but they would really need to sign a qb as well.

• Thank you (+1) 1

It all comes down to who Beane wants as QB.  Let's say, for example, his heart is set on Rosen.  You try working a trade with the team that you will most likely need to in order to position yourself to get him, come hell or high water.  So, we need to work a trade with the Giants in order to almost guarantee we get him but the Giants won't budge.  What now?  Do you try to work a trade with the Colts and hope that 1) they make it happen, 2) the Giants don't take Rosen before you, 3) grab the next best QB if Rosen is gone and pretend that is who you wanted all of this time?  

I'm not gonna worry about it.  I think our GM & HC will do a good job next month.

5 minutes ago, jr1 said:

the front 7 are horrendous. Bortles averaged 8.8 yards per rush

I remember screaming at the TV every time he took off running, " For the love of God, someone hit this mother ****er!!!"

• Haha (+1) 1

4 hours ago, #34fan said:

Well, of course Leslie Frazier and McDermott aren't ready to develop a rookie QB. They're on the other side of the ball.

Daboll did pretty well in Alabama. I don't know if he and Culley are ready to handle this. But nobody can reasonably say they know for sure they aren't.

And I'll tell you, you saying "There's no one at the top that's worth trading up for, point blank," is translated as "I don't like these QBs." We heard on and on last year about how nobody was there who was any good, and that it was a bad year for QBs. Oops. 

You don't have facts here, you have an opinion, the opinion of a poster on the internet. (And yeah, me too. Same deal.) But the experts seem to feel there are some guys up there this year who could easily be worth trading up for.

Edited by Thurman#1

Lots of holes to fill on this roster is 100% correct.

However, we also have a glaring hole at the most important position in football. One that, time and time again has proven to be THE deciding factor in whether or not your team is a consistent playoff team. That position is QB. 

You get your franchise QB by finishing bad enough to be picking at the top of the draft, or you get lucky and hit on a mid to late round pick. The stats have been posted over and over, the vast majority of pro bowl QBs are first round picks, and usually at the top. Is there a chance he is a bust, oh absolutely, but sitting in QB purgatory gets you to a 20 year drought (so does picking the wrong guy). 

We havent been bad enough at the right time to pick our QB high. This year, we have the ammunition to move up and snag our QB, finally. 

I trust our FO more than I have in 20 years. However, I am hoping they make that move and jump to the top of the draft. 

I am NOT in favor of trading up either and while not for all the same reasons, the overarching point is the same: this team needs to get younger at most of the positions and they need contracts they can afford over the next few years. That said, two things: 1. 2019 salary cap situation is significantly better than this year's, as I believe someone reported the Bills currently at 90 million under the projected cap for next year and 2. IF, and as I said I'm not in favor of this, but IF the Bills were EVER to move up for a QB, this is the year to do it - there are several high quality QBs and they have 2 same year 1st round Draft picks, not to mention 2 2nd round picks.

In virtually any other year, the Bills would need to give up 2 1st and 2 2nds and probably possibly more to get all the way up to the top 5, meaning they would have lost 2 years' worth of the best way to Draft - the 1st two rounds. But with what they have this year, they can give up 2 firsts, 1 2nd this year, and maybe a 2nd next year, and get there with a player like Glenn or Shady (nobody shout at once, it's just an idea) and by doing that, they keep next year's 1st, which is important because they will need that 1st round pick, and they keep one of their 2nds this year, which is important because they're re-shaping the entire roster.

I will say, that given the friendly Cap number next year, it might make more sense to push as much of the Draft capital needed to move up to next year, trying to keep as many of the picks as you can for this year, because they will have so much FA money next year they will be able to afford to plug all their holes and then some with the FA money. This year the Draft is truly needed. 

And, Beane has said they will be aware of the Comp picks formula, meaning next year they might have an extra 3rd or 4th or 5th to help off-set the picks they give up. 

5 minutes ago, ganesh said:

If you don't get a Franchise QB, then you are unlikely to win the super bowl...Hostetler and Foley are the exceptions.

Trent Dilfer, Brad Johnson too...

Your point is correct. Every once in a while a non franchise QB leads his team to the super bowl. Great. I don't want to rely on building the perfect team around the QB and getting lucky once in a while. I want that friggin franchise QB that takes your team to the playoffs year after year because he IS a franchise QB (Aaaron Rodgers style). 

I am confident McBeane can build a team without having 100 draft picks this year, and minus a high pick next year. Look what they did in ONE YEAR at the helm with this talent void Bills team.

Edited by PaattMaann

What if next year's Quarterback class isn't any good?  Do we just push the decision off until 2020?

Drafting a Quarterback high is ALWAYS going to hurt.

Either we will be drafting too low and will need to give up a kings ransom to move up... OR we will have to suffer through a terrible season to get into the Top 5.  And no matter what you do, there will always be safer players available.  The QB prospects will always have flaws that make them risky.  There will always be "other holes" on the roster that need to be fixed.

• Like (+1) 2

4 hours ago, #34fan said:

Please, tell me more with your crystal ball.

Guess all the NFL scouts are wrong in this case.

• Haha (+1) 1