I Do Believe Foles is the Target

H2o

11 minutes ago, CaptnCoke11 said:

Why would the Eagles want a 16 million backup?

Lots of trades are contingent on getting a new contract done. Plus, I believe the Bills would absorb a portion of that with having to pay his bonus this month.

I don't think Foles has somehow "turned a corner" and the "light has gone on" such that he will be a top-10 QB for next several years.  Could he be a decent starter for a year or three?  Sure, that might be possible.  I think he'd probably be lucky to be Andy Dalton level over an extended period of time - that's OK. 

If they Bills trade a 2nd or more for Foles, they are surely not trading a bunch more to move up for a rookie.  The investment in picks would be too great between those two options.

If the Bills want to sit tight and see what QB falls to them at 21 and make a value judgment whether that guy is better or worse long-term than Foles, I could see that, but I would not even expect them to use the 21st pick on a rookie QB AND trade a 2nd or more for Foles. 

I could see it being possible that the Bills do wait to see who is available at 21 and then decide that they don't like those options as possible long-term answers.  If that is the case, perhaps, they could then slide a 2nd to Philly for Foles as an interim guy until they can find a good prospect.  I would be very hard pressed to say that Foles is worth a 1st round pick when very good veteran players at other positions are being traded for 4th round picks (see Michael Bennett trade).

Foles would be a terrible choice, he's been mediocre his entire career, was mediocre in the playoffs and had a great game in the Superbowl, this is a classic case of way over inflated value, we need to stop obsessing over other teams garbage QBs and just draft our own, I swear, we as fans, deserve everything we've got in the last 20 years.

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, BuffaloHokie13 said:

Only if the trade takes 3 days to execute!

Right. All hypothetical of course. It's a long shot to begin with, but I could see this type of deal being a post FA, during the draft type thing. Sort of an option to explore if other possibilities don't pan out or the cost of moving up is determined exorbitant. 

Just now, Boatdrinks said:

Right. All hypothetical of course. It's a long shot to begin with, but I could see this type of deal being a post FA, during the draft type thing. Sort of an option to explore if other possibilities don't pan out or the cost of moving up is determined exorbitant. 

I agree. If the Bills want to maximize their options in offloading Tyrod the best time will be between May and August once most of the QB market has settled and someone is left without a seat they like.

On 3/7/2018 at 12:20 PM, BuffaloBillsGospel said:

Another bridge QB who got hot at the perfect time, He was thrown out of L.A. and KC (He didn't even see the field in KC). Taylor isn't a good QB so you can name quite a few QB's who are better, Foles is only a marginal upgrade imo, he will disappoint as soon as he's named starter like he has up until the playoff run for the Eagles.

i love the way some of you guys bad mouth the sb mvp.

after having tyrod under center for the last 3 yrs., my advice to anyone who wants to tear down any other qb who may be available is....just shut up......

or at least do a little research ...such as foles in k.c  2016  36-55  65.5% 410 yds. 3td 0 int. 105.9 rating<_<

Edited by billsredneck1
  • Like (+1) 2

On 3/7/2018 at 12:28 PM, Boatdrinks said:

Maybe. I'm not convinced they let him walk for nothing in 2019 when he could fetch an asset right now. Wentz was injured late in the season, and that's a concern. Wouldn't be shocked if Foles is traded at the deadline though a la Garrapolo. 

i would try a 2nd and 4th this year along with tyrod. tt could be ok for them and maybe not cost any more, or very little. i know foles is under contract, but they gotta give him a bump somehow.

i know he's a straight up guy, but a sb mvp could use a raise and philly will understand that they need to give him his shot to shine elswhere. i would like to believe that there is some integrity left in this league.

does anyone think that bb had to let jimmy g go for a 2nd to san fran?  they did that for him and for his career.

• Like (+1) 1

On 3/7/2018 at 9:24 AM, Boatdrinks said:

Well, NO team is in at that price imo. The Eagles can ask all they want, but he won't fetch a first imo. 

I think that’s Philly’s plan really. Put a really ridiculous price on Foles and maybe someone jumps or maybe not. He’s extremely valuable to the team if Wentz needs a bit more time.  Personally I wouldn’t touch Foles unless a late round draft pick made it happen. 

41 minutes ago, billsredneck1 said:

after having tyrod under center for the last 3 yrs., my advice to anyone who wants to tear down any other qb who may be available is....just shut up......

or at least do a little research ...such as foles in k.c  2016  36-55  65.5% 410 yds. 3td 0 int. 105.9 rating<_<

Comparing TT to Foles is a laugh.  TT wishes he could put up Foles #'s.

I don't mind posters not wanting Foles because they want to go all in on a high ranked rookie.

But to say Foles is a one hit wonder is not factual.

Here are Foles past 2 season Full Starts with his partial game in 2016 when Smith got hurt.

I calculated a season total on those 7 games with a per game stat.  He is not that bad! 

Oh and by the way, he won every game.

FWIW.

Date G# Tm Opp Result GS Cmp Att Cmp% Yds TD Int Rate

10/30/2016 7 KAN IND W 30-14   16 22 72.7 223 2 0 135.2
11/6/2016 8 KAN JAX W 19-14 * 20 33 60.6 187 1 0 86.3
12/17/2017 14 PHI NYG W 34-29 * 24 38 63.2 237 4 0 115.8
12/25/2017 15 PHI OAK W 19-10 * 19 38 50.0 163 1 1 59.4
1/13/2018 17 PHI ATL W 15-10 * 23 30 76.7 246 0 0 100.1
1/21/2018 18 PHI MIN W 38-7 * 26 33 78.8 352 3 0 141.4
2/4/2018 19 PHI NWE W 41-33 * 28 43 65.1 373 3 1 106.1
        7W-0L   156 237 65.8 1781 14 2  
Season           332 507 65.8 3785 29.8 4.3 106.3
Per Game           21 32 65.8 237 1.9 0.3 106.3

Edited by ColoradoBills
2016 not last year.
  • Thank you (+1) 1

34 minutes ago, billsredneck1 said:

i would try a 2nd and 4th this year along with tyrod. tt could be ok for them and maybe not cost any more, or very little. i know foles is under contract, but they gotta give him a bump somehow.

i know he's a straight up guy, but a sb mvp could use a raise and philly will understand that they need to give him his shot to shine elswhere. i would like to believe that there is some integrity left in this league.

does anyone think that bb had to let jimmy g go for a 2nd to san fran?  they did that for him and for his career.

That's about as high as I would go with compensation for Foles. The Garrapolo situation didn't play out to do Jimmy G any favors. Not at all. The Patriots were at a crossroads of sorts that inevitably happens after a long period of success under one QB. This has played out many times with stars like Montana , P Manning and Favre. The team has a young QB waiting in reserve that they believe can be the heir apparent and continue the success for the HC and franchise. The aging star is moved elsewhere or released in most cases and the younger QB takes over. Reports were that BB didn't want to trade Garrapolo ( makes sense as the HC wants to add to his " legacy" ) but owner Kraft was loyal to Brady. Hence the reports of a rift at the top of the organization . If past situations are any indication with franchise QBs, it wouldn't have been crazy for NE to have their last run with Brady at QB, coax him into retirement after 2017 or release , trade etc and have Garrapolo take over the reins. Heck, Joe Montana was traded. Can happen to any player. Jimmy Gs contract was up and the Pats had a choice to make. They chose the opposite path than most have . Im glad they did: there's no guarantee they will even find a QB of Garrapolos caliber any time soon. ( see Ryan Mallet, Hoyer etc)  They made sure he went to an NFC team that they would face at most twice in a decade. But they had to trade him or he walked for nothing, short of the franchise tag that would have paid him much more than Brady. 

Edited by Boatdrinks

Buffalo Bills

There are aspects of a Foles-to-Buffalo trade that make sense. His $7.6 million cap number in 2018 would offer a discount over Tyrod Taylor and his $18.08 million cap number, especially if the Bills moved Taylor before his $6 million roster bonus becomes due March 16. Foles would give the Bills a better shot at contending in 2018 than Taylor, whose statistics have declined each of his three seasons with the Bills. The short-term financial commitment to Foles on essentially a one-year deal also would give the Bills flexibility to draft a quarterback in 2018 and transition away from Foles in 2019.

However, the biggest obstacle to any deal would be the cost. The Eagles are in a position of strength where they are not simply going to give Foles away for a mid- to late-round draft selection. It likely will take an early-round pick for the Bills to pry Foles away from Philadelphia, which eats into the stash of draft selections (five in the first three rounds) that general manager Brandon Beane has amassed potentially to trade up in the draft for a quarterback. Giving up an early-round pick for Foles and then allowing him to walk away in free agency next offseason could be viewed as a waste. -- Mike Rodak

50 minutes ago, Maynard said:

I think that’s Philly’s plan really. Put a really ridiculous price on Foles and maybe someone jumps or maybe not. He’s extremely valuable to the team if Wentz needs a bit more time.  Personally I wouldn’t touch Foles unless a late round draft pick made it happen. 

Was listening to philly sports radio 97.5 last night while i slogged through the snow, and they seem to think getting a second pick for him would be a bonanza.

• Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, billsredneck1 said:

Good luck shutting people up on a message board... I'm not bad mouthing him but Foles has never been "the guy" and when he was other than that 13 game start in Philly he's been less than advertised. I mean at this stage of his career it will be hard pressed to believe that he just turned into a better QB than he was before am I wrong ? There is only 1 QB I can remember who seemed to be a journeyman his whole career then turned into a franchise QB and that's Rich Gannon so it can happen. 

2 hours ago, BuffaloBillsGospel said:

Good luck shutting people up on a message board... I'm not bad mouthing him but Foles has never been "the guy" and when he was other than that 13 game start in Philly he's been less than advertised. I mean at this stage of his career it will be hard pressed to believe that he just turned into a better QB than he was before am I wrong ? There is only 1 QB I can remember who seemed to be a journeyman his whole career then turned into a franchise QB and that's Rich Gannon so it can happen. 

Gannon ran the greatest show on turf with the Rams? 

j/k

Its rare but it happens.