I Do Believe Foles is the Target

H2o

23 minutes ago, OldTimer1960 said:

Your line of reasoning is sound, but look at Foles’ career - one great season followed by four not-so-good years.  Even this miraculous season was underwhelming.  This MIRACLE season, Foles completed 56% of his passes with a 5-2 TD to INT ratio.  He surely had a nice run in the playoffs, but his career suggests that he won’t be able to continue that success.

I would favor Mike White, Luke Falk or Kyle Lauletta in the 2nd/3rd round over trading even a 2nd for Foles.

He only played 2 games start to finish regular season so those stats are not a big sample. Include the 3 playoff games and those 5 game totals would be impressive. I liked how he got better each game. I am not saying Foles would be consistently good but the low price of his contract makes it worth finding out I think. You need a vet for anybody you draft anyway.

Edited by Turk71

2 minutes ago, 3rdand12 said:

I know full well statistics will make your point.

I just do not think that way. To much context to evaluate for me.
But i feel he can run an offense for a couple years better than decently. The search does not end with Foles.

Could he be a place holder for a year or two?  Maybe, but to think he is a long-term answer is, I think, wishful thinking.  He had one miracle season then flamed out.  His regular season performances this year were not great, but he did get hot in this year’s playoffs.  

If you believe that his hot streak in the playoffs with a very talented team means that he could carry an under talented team, then I disagree.

If the Bills just want someone to hold the position with marginally competent play, he can do that.  However, to me you’d want more from the draft picks that you’d need to give Philly for him.

Just now, Turk71 said:

He only played 2 games start to finish regular season so those stats are not a big sample. Include the 3 playoff games and those 5 game totals would be impressive. I liked how he got better each game. I am not saying Foles would be consistently good but the low price of his contract makes it worth finding out I think.

Not in my opininion for even a 2nd round pick.  I hope that they would laugh at the Eagles request of a 1st round pick plus some.

I just don't have any interest at all.

I've seen the "mediocre veteran" movie too many times already. Drew Bledsoe, Rob Johnson, Ryan Fitzpatrick, Kelly Holcomb, Kevin Kolb, Tyrod Taylor. Enough already.

I don't want to watch the Bills pin their hopes on yet another castoff from some other team. I want the Bills to go into what looks to be a great draft for rookie QBs, find the one they like, and do what they need to do to get him. Yes, I am aware that said player could bust. The risk is worth it to me. I'd rather try for greatness and possibly fail than settle for mediocrity. And Super Bowl MVP or not, I don't personally see Nick Foles being a perennial playoff contender or top 10 quarterback for the next decade. I also can't think of a single QB who started and won Super Bowls for more than one team. 

No interest, I tell ya. Find a kid and draft him. Fire your shot and try to be great.

• Like (+1) 2

We can disagree on your phrasing of marginally competent.
I think Foles can play decent ball.

Still want to draft one.
But I am not saying that is the best answer to bring Foles in. I am just cool with it. Build the receivers and the line and see if he can elevate the QB room with the new Coaching staff.

I would give a first.  
Gotta trust Beane. for all I know they are going to sell the whole farm including the carrots to get up into the top 5. and i hate that thought

1 minute ago, Logic said:

I've seen the "mediocre veteran" movie too many times already. Drew Bledsoe, Rob Johnson, Ryan Fitzpatrick, Kelly Holcomb, Kevin Kolb, Tyrod Taylor. Enough already.

I don't want to watch the Bills pin their hopes on yet another castoff from some other team. I want the Bills to go into what looks to be a great draft for rookie QBs, find the one they like, and do what they need to do to get him. Yes, I am aware that said player could bust. The risk is worth it to me. I'd rather try for greatness and possibly fail than settle for mediocrity. And Super Bowl MVP or not, I don't personally see Nick Foles being a perennial playoff contender or top 10 quarterback for the next decade. I also can't think of a single QB who started and won Super Bowls for more than one team. 

No interest, I tell ya. Find a kid and draft him. Fire your shot and try to be great.

who do yu pick and what are you trading then?

2 minutes ago, OldTimer1960 said:

Could he be a place holder for a year or two?  Maybe, but to think he is a long-term answer is, I think, wishful thinking.  He had one miracle season then flamed out.  His regular season performances this year were not great, but he did get hot in this year’s playoffs.  

If you believe that his hot streak in the playoffs with a very talented team means that he could carry an under talented team, then I disagree.

If the Bills just want someone to hold the position with marginally competent play, he can do that.  However, to me you’d want more from the draft picks that you’d need to give Philly for him.

Not in my opininion for even a 2nd round pick.  I hope that they would laugh at the Eagles request of a 1st round pick plus some.

You can think a 27td 2 int 2700 10 game season was a total fluke. Then he broke his collarbone and struggled for a couple seasons, or as you put it, 'flamed out'. He gets back in Philly, takes over at the end of the season, has one of the greatest playoff runs of any qb, beats Tom Brady Patriots in a shootout SB, and he is not worth a 2nd rnd pick. He is also 6'6" 245 lbs. That is ridiculous. What vet do you want for the chosen one draft pick? What fa qb upgrade could you get for 7 million?

4 minutes ago, Logic said:

What veteran will play while the draft pick learns?

• Haha (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Turk71 said:

You can think a 27td 2 int 2700 10 game season was a total fluke. Then he broke his collarbone and struggled for a couple seasons, or as you put it, 'flamed out'. He gets back in Philly, takes over at the end of the season, has one of the greatest playoff runs of any qb, beats Tom Brady Patriots in a shootout SB, and he is not worth a 2nd rnd pick. He is also 6'6" 245 lbs. That is ridiculous. What vet do you want for the chosen one draft pick? What fa qb upgrade could you get for 7 million?

What veteran will play while the draft pick learns?

If Foles is only being brought in to play while a high draft pick learns, then I'm fine with it. But I have a really hard time believing that they'd bring in Foles AND draft a QB high, and I'd rather they draft one. Oh, and I'm fine with Taylor starting for one more season it the rookie needs to sit, but he may not need to sit!

As for the other question as to who I'd take and how much I'd give up? I like Mayfield most, but would be happy with Rosen or Darnold, too. I'd give up whatever it took. This year's 1st round picks, next year's 1st round pick, a late round pick and Glenn? Whatever it took. I believe this is a generational QB draft, the Bills happen to have a lot of early round draft capital and a huge QB need, and it's the first full year of a new GM/coach tandem. The time is right. The Bills should quit putting it off and swing for the fences. 

1 hour ago, 3rdand12 said:

so he was cheating..:P

He has learned how to win under some very good Coaching as well. To have a backup come in and win the SB is pretty darned fantastic. and he has to win a playoff to get there.

That is credible work IMHO.
Hard for me to believe folks consider this a poor concept. It really is. Even with your points. QBs develop for as long as they play if they are worth a hoot. He has shown that he can play with the big boys. Actually against the very best in the NFL for the last few years. Hmm..

How exactly has Foles shown he can play with the big boys consistently in the NFL the last few years?

He was a backup QB the past three years and in one of those years he lost his job after a few weeks in with the Rams.

He had two amazing games the last 3 years. It was perfect timing as those two games were obviously the most important.

While I won’t take those games away from him as he was incredible, you must remember he was a backup QB the past three seasons and actually lost a starting job because of poor play. That doesn’t show me he can win consistently in the NFL

Edited by billsfan11

21 minutes ago, billsfan11 said:

How exactly has Foles shown he can play with the big boys consistently in the NFL the last few years?

He was a backup QB the past three years and in one of those years he lost his job after a few weeks in with the Rams.

He had two amazing games the last 3 years. It was perfect timing as those two games were obviously the most important.

While I won’t take those games away from him as he was incredible, you must remember he was a backup QB the past three seasons and actually lost a starting job because of poor play. That doesn’t show me he can win consistently in the NFL

He beat the Patriots. That's the Big Boys and you know it's true. they were likely cheating and he won the game. He won the game.

I watched it on TV B-)

am kinda serious here

How long has he been with the Eagles and their current Coaching staff? Maybe he has learned something with a Coaching staff that won their first Superbowl with a freekin back up.

Perhaps that whole team was elevated after Kelly was purged and the GM was moved?

I take everything in context as best i am able.

I do know enough of his history and Eagles may have taken a risk signing him for that contract.
But he became successful with them, even knowing Wentz was the future.
History is a method of prediction.  But the Kid is trending up.
 Heck if i am sure he will play as well as he did in the superbowl. But that is the standard of excellence

unless you lose the game

Edited by 3rdand12

2 minutes ago, 3rdand12 said:

He beat the Patriots. That's the Big Boys and you know it's true. they were likely cheating and he won the game. He won the game.

I watched it on TV B-)

am kinda serious here

How long has he been with the Eagles and their current Coaching staff? Maybe he has learned something with a Coaching staff that won their first Superbowl with a freekin back up.

Perhaps that whole team was elevated after Kelly was purged and the GM was moved?

I do know enough of his history and Eagles may have taken a risk signing him for that contract.
 Heck if i am sure he will play as well as he did in the superbowl. But that is the standard of excellence

unless you lose the game

He also killed a pretty good Minnesota team in the championship game.

2 minutes ago, horned dogs said:

He also killed a pretty good Minnesota team in the championship game.

They draft Darnold, the discussion will be "mute"

Just looking at scenarios. I thinks Foles should be in the FO Dialogue

14 minutes ago, 3rdand12 said:

I watched it on TV B-)

am kinda serious here

unless you lose the game

I said I would give him them those two games as they were so clutch.

But that doesn’t fall under winning in the NFL consistently.

The only reason he had the chance to play in those 2 games was because his Would have been MVP QB got hurt after like an 11 and 2 record.

He hasn’t started an opening day game since 2015 and like I mentioned earlier, he lost his starting job that year. 

12 hours ago, BuffaloHokie13 said:

No, no it wasn't. This past year 3 of their top 4 receivers were in their 1st year with the team (Kupp - rookie, Woods & Watkins from Buffalo) and the 4th was their RB.

Ok I was wrong... He had Tavon Austin, Kenny Britt at WR and Todd Gurley at RB. Not the greatest arsenal of weapons but 7 TD and 10 INT even with that group is pretty bad. I don't know I don't see him being this good for an entire season since he hasn't yet ever in his career, just my opinion.

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, billsfan11 said:

I said I would give him them those two games as they were so clutch.

But that doesn’t fall under winning in the NFL consistently.

The only reason he had the chance to play in those 2 games was because his Would have been MVP QB got hurt after like an 11 and 2 record.

He hasn’t started an opening day game since 2015 and like I mentioned earlier, he lost his starting job that year. 

There was no way he was going to start over Wentz. Not many would or should. That was just a matter time. Philly was smart to get Wentz playing asap. and even smart for picking a guy who likely exceeded expectations !

4 hours ago, BuffaloBillsGospel said:

Ok I was wrong... He had Tavon Austin, Kenny Britt at WR and Todd Gurley at RB. Not the greatest arsenal of weapons but 7 TD and 10 INT even with that group is pretty bad. I don't know I don't see him being this good for an entire season since he hasn't yet ever in his career, just my opinion.

It is a fair opinion

5 hours ago, BuffaloBillsGospel said:

Let's not forget a Jeff Fisher coaching staff. Sean McVay took basically the same team, outside of Woods and Watkins, and turned them into division champs.

1 hour ago, 3rdand12 said:

There was no way he was going to start over Wentz. Not many would or should. That was just a matter time. Philly was smart to get Wentz playing asap. and even smart for picking a guy who likely exceeded expectations !

In 2015 he lost his job to an uninspiring Case Keenum. That's what I was referring too, not Wentz