Does your company close under real bad weather?

Another Fan

16 minutes ago, Marv's Neighbor said:

35 years with an airline and another 12 at an airport, we never closed.  In fact the worse the weather was, the more you were expected to be there, to try to "recover,"  as soon as the weather permitted.

I have a friend who has a desk job with the Long Island Railroad. On snow days they get sent to the stations to "bang doors". The train doors freeze up and won't open automatically without an impact adjustment.

I have my own business from home, plus I have a consultant's position locally that allows me to work remotely if I choose to. It's sweet. My wife's boss, however, won't let her work remotely, even in bad weather, and she has an hour's drive each way.

When I lived and worked in Rochester, not very often. 

Where I live and work in Northern Virginia, even less.   Since 2004 there may have been 3 or 4 major snow storms where the regional companies have closed.  One was on the weekend, so that offset that.  

Once we had a double storm 5 days apart they gave us a day off for the first one but didn't on the second one. 

1 hour ago, Royale with Cheese said:

l lived about 15 minutes away from my office at the time.  I took me over 4 hours to get home but not all by car.  After about 3 hours sitting in the car, I parked it in a grocery store parking lot and walked home the rest of the way...took about an hour.  If I had stayed in my car, it probably would have taken 5-6 hours.  Traffic literally wasn't moving.  Too many pile ups.  I think the Atlanta Journal Constitution reported over 400 car accidents that day.

i had this happen when i lived in buffalo.  i think it was like 2002.  it was such a quick, severe storm, that traffic had no where to go.  i parked and just hiked home.  the next day went back to my car to see if there was any improvement, and people were still sleeping in their cars. 

2 minutes ago, teef said:

i had this happen when i lived in buffalo.  i think it was like 2002.  it was such a quick, severe storm, that traffic had no where to go.  i parked and just hiked home.  the next day went back to my car to see if there was any improvement, and people were still sleeping in their cars. 

Were people eating each other like the movie Alive?

17 minutes ago, teef said:

That was that weird two-hour storm that dumped about a foot of snow on downtown right at the start of the evening rush hour, right?  I remember seeing that on the news.  That was bizarre.

The DC area...when I first moved here, there was one day where the weather forecast for the next day was 4-6" of snow.  Everyone left work early the day before so as not to get stuck in the snow.  Schools all announced that evening their closing the next day.  Next day, instead of snow, it was sunny and 50.  

Just now, DC Tom said:

That was that weird two-hour storm that dumped about a foot of snow on downtown right at the start of the evening rush hour, right?  I remember seeing that on the news.  That was bizarre.

The DC area...when I first moved here, there was one day where the weather forecast for the next day was 4-6" of snow.  Everyone left work early the day before so as not to get stuck in the snow.  Schools all announced that evening their closing the next day.  Next day, instead of snow, it was sunny and 50.  

So you didn't get the 4-6 inches they promised you?

2 hours ago, SinceThe70s said:

I have a friend who has a desk job with the Long Island Railroad. On snow days they get sent to the stations to "bang doors". The train doors freeze up and won't open automatically without an impact adjustment.

Thanks for clarifying "bang doors!"  Makes sense now.  Too bad they weren't automatic enough to bang themselves.

23 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Were people eating each other like the movie Alive?

no.

11 minutes ago, DC Tom said:

that was the one.  i think the snow started at around 2-3 pm.  if you weren't home by then, you were completely screwed.  i lived on north st down by garbriel's gate, and had classes at the south campus.  i got about half way home, said !@#$ it, and hike the rest of the way.

36 minutes ago, Augie said:

Both my wives' offices and my old office will close if there is a possibility of a snowflake anywhere in the Atlanta area. 

Damn, Augie.  You go, man!!!

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2