Adam Schein Predicts Where the UFA and Draft QBs Land

Just now, TigerJ said:

If you rule out trading up for Darnold/Rosen/Mayfield, and you want a QB that at least some consider to be first round quality, you have a limited choice: Lamar Jackson and Mason Rudolph.  It's true that Tyrod being a running QB may sway the opinions of some toward Jackson, but there really are not an abundance of alternatives given the constraints I mentioned.

I'd like Mayfield or Rosen, but I expect to get Lamar. I don't think I'd be too devastated. He's a much better prospect than those weary of Taylor give him credit for. 

5 minutes ago, TigerJ said:

If you rule out trading up for Darnold/Rosen/Mayfield, and you want a QB that at least some consider to be first round quality, you have a limited choice: Lamar Jackson and Mason Rudolph.  It's true that Tyrod being a running QB may sway the opinions of some toward Jackson, but there really are not an abundance of alternatives given the constraints I mentioned.

That is certainly true

One conversation I listened to in recent years, was between a veteran scout discussing a QB draft class in  with a younger scout.(I forgot which year it was)

The younger scout insisted that he felt that each of his top 3 rated Qb's would enjoy great success in the NFL. H ewas hyped about all 3 and couldn't imagine any of then failing.

The veteran scout said, yeah I might pound the table for my top 3 rated Qb's every year, but results show usually only one out of those 3 will meet expectaton.

It's an inexact science, no matter who is at the wheel of the draft.

The TOP qb names now are :

Darnold

Rosen

Allen

Mayfield

Jackson

Rudolph

But, some of the QB'S drafted below these top 6 will outperform them,

and it could be safe to say that there is a strong possibility that a minimum 3 of the 6 will not meet expectations.

And in reality... it will not be the three you are thinking of right now.

Allen may have accuracy issues.  Mayfield has issues.  Darnold is living off RoseBowl hype.  Rosen could be Aaron Rodgers/Roger Staubach or Matt Hasselbeck, or take your pick of any fairly mobile QB with leadership and injury issues - JP Losman.  Rosen seems like the most challenging to evaluate.  Jackson and Rudolph are day 2 talent wise.  Neither of them are better than Derek Carr.

Want to swing for the fences, then move up to #2 and put the entire franchise at risk for Rosen.  If he is Rodgers/Staubach then we are set for a decade.  If not McBean will not see 2020 as HC/GM.

I would wait out Allen somewhere between 7-10.  I think you get Allen and keep one of the #1's if he falls out of the top 6.

I have no interest in trying to build around Jackson's skill set, who is not better than Vick who also did nothing substantive in the League.

McCarron is not going to the browns nor Mayfield to the Dolphins, these predictions are for entertainment purposes only.

Edited by Buffalo Barbarian
  • Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

You've heard offensive minds referred to as "quarterback whisperers." Well, the week between the NFL Scouting Combine and the start of free agency is the time for "whispering about quarterbacks."

Rumors are omnipresent. The conversations coming out of Indianapolis from journalists and executives are as spicy and juicy as the shrimp cocktail and steaks at St. Elmo's Steak House. So let's name names and take some chances.

Here are our predictions for where nine big-name quarterbacks (in both free agency and the draft) will end up, listed in the order that the deals will happen, Schein Nine style. We start with some huge free-agent signings and then move through the 2018 NFL Draft:

1) Kirk Cousins to the Vikings
2) Case Keenum to the Broncos
3) AJ McCarron to the Browns
4) Teddy Bridgewater to the Jets
5) Sam Darnold to the Browns
7) Josh Rosen to the Jets
8) Baker Mayfield to the Dolphins
9) Lamar Jackson to the Bills

Jackson is a quarterback worth drafting in the first round. No more words need to be added to that sentence. I don't want to hear about the former Heisman Trophy winner switching positions. It's offensive. OK, so Jackson completed less than 60 percent of his passes in his college career -- so did Josh Allen. I don't care about either statistical mark.

Even if the Bills are unable to trade up for one of the top four quarterback prospects in the draft, they still have two first-round picks (Nos. 21 and 22), meaning they'll be able to get their signal-caller of the future in Jackson (who would also make a lot of sense for the Chargers, Jaguars and Steelers). And Jackson will get his chance to stick it to everyone who ever questioned him coming out of Louisville.

Side note: the Browns aren't getting McCarron AND a top QB draft pick.  You don't get a likely three year 45 million dollar insurance policy (even if you have the cap room) for a guy you expect to start no later than week 4-6.

Get Barkley at 1, get your 1-of-3 QB at 4 and get Fitzy or someone else for 3-6 million.

Edited by dollars 2 donuts

1 hour ago, dollars 2 donuts said:

Side note: the Browns aren't getting McCarron AND a top QB draft pick.  You don't get a likely three year 45 million dollar insurance policy (even if you have the cap room) for a guy you expect to start no later than week 4-6.

Get Barkley at 1, get your 1-of-3 QB at 4 and get Fitzy or someone else for 3-6 million.

I agree with Schein.  McCarron as the bridgeto Darnold. 

8 hours ago, Jamie Muellers Ghost said:

I wonder what the kickbacks are for the spread of info sometimes.

these reporters are so hungry for a story that they will print whatever these league insiders tell them

9 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

Bills end up with the worst QB situation in the division?

As long as our guys still bring their lunch pails we're good right?   Because our guys can just hit the opposing quarterbacks with their lunch pails.

Just now, dollars 2 donuts said:

CB, how long is that bridge?

Who knows, but I would let Darnold sit for 2018 and when he's ready McCarron is the competent backup.  It's very affordable to take this approach with the cost certainty that comes with rookie contracts. 

9 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

Everybody seems to be linking Jackson to the Bills because we have TT and they are similar 

But everything at this time is all smokescreens and I wouldn't trust a word

My guess is if Beane couldn't get one of his top rated qbs prospects he would take Rudolph over Jackson because he is more of a prototypical qb. I would prefer the more dynamic Jackson over the more conventional Rudolph. 

My priority is to come away with an eventual franchise qb. I'm not fretting which one it is.  There Is a good case to be made for a number of them. Which indicates that even alternative qbs can be good selections. 

1 hour ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Who knows, but I would let Darnold sit for 2018 and when he's ready McCarron is the competent backup.  It's very affordable to take this approach with the cost certainty that comes with rookie contracts. 

My opinion has changed a bit even from earlier this morning, CB.  I've known about the upside with Darnold and that there is a little bit of work necessary there.  However, more I've heard and read makes it appear that he really should sit a year if he is your guy.

The thing is will McCarron take the deal?  If he can prove something in Cleveland and get the dollars it opens the door for him someplace else, maybe after year 2.

10 hours ago, Paulus said:

What is the wager on Jackson to the Bills? Should I have to eat my underwear if he does come to Buffalo in the first? I mean, it'd be like double the punishment for me. More importantly, can I eat my underwear to prevent him from coming to Buffalo?

Yes. Do it right now before it's too late.

10 hours ago, Paulus said:

What is the wager on Jackson to the Bills? Should I have to eat my underwear if he does come to Buffalo in the first? I mean, it'd be like double the punishment for me. More importantly, can I eat my underwear to prevent him from coming to Buffalo?

lol  i'm with you.  if i'm sitting there and jackson is the last suggested 1st rounder, i'm trading that spot for picks and taking rudolph.

if they pick lamar in the 1st, i will have a mcflashback. it would be such a mcwhaley pick.

it would set this team back 3 mcyears.

.....and if eating my underwear is what it takes, i will start wearing them pronto.

Edited by billsredneck1

1 hour ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

i would out bid the browns for mc carron and give him a 3-4 yr. deal. why would he want to go somewhere and be a one yr. bridge. he just fought to get out from behind dalton.

going to the browns to play until darnold is ready would be like a kick in the nuts. welcome to buffalo a.j.!