AFC Team offered a 2nd to the Eagles for Foles - Mort update - want more than 1 and 4

2 minutes ago, Stank_Nasty said:

I personally think foles was in the perfect situation on that team and with those coaches. that's a dream staff to work with if you are a qb..... and a really good team all around. 

I agree with this to a point but Foles was also on fire for the whole playoffs. The system there was great and he had a lot of help from his teammates, but none of that would have mattered if he hadn't given one of the best QB performances in Super Bowl history. Saying it out loud I think we'd be crazy to not offer a 1st rounder for him. Wasn't his first time playing well either, he had one of the best QB seasons of all time in 2013.

5 minutes ago, KelsaysLunchbox said:

The way I see it, it's called needless squandering of a draft pick. Like I said you could potentially get the same productivity from a Keenum and not have to give up the pick. 

When you look at his Super Bowl performance it's real easy to get caught up in how well he played. It's easier to forget that the Pats for some reason benched Malcolm Butler and Patrick Chung missed a chunk of time in the game. Gilmore was locked on Alshon and the rest of the receivers played against replacement level talent.  

Keenum is going to command a big contract with a lot of money guaranteed over the next few years and he has the same question (whether or not he will revert to his pre-2017 status) so that is another side of the conversation, though I wouldn't mind Keenum.

Talk to me about the best defense in the NFL getting shredded in the championship with all their guys there?  Not to mention, look at the throws from the SB, not the coverage. The guy can throw the ball very well. 

I don't disagree that Foles comes with a risk. But what percentage of QB's drafted in the top three rounds become legitimate starters in the NFL? Is it even as high as 50? My point is that there isn't a signal QB in this years class that isn't just as much of a risk as Foles. That is why finding a legitimate QB is so darn hard in the NFL. 

Also, I do not think that Foles is the only option, nor do I even believe he is the best option. But to act as if any other QB in the draft is more of a sure thing than Nick Foles is just stupid. 

Edited by whatdrought
  • Like (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, whatdrought said:

Keenum is going to command a big contract with a lot of money guaranteed over the next few years and he has the same question (whether or not he will revert to his pre-2017 status) so that is another side of the conversation, though I wouldn't mind Keenum.

Talk to me about the best defense in the NFL getting shredded in the championship with all their guys there?  Not to mention, look at the throws from the SB, not the coverage. The guy can throw the ball very well. 

I don't disagree that Foles comes with a risk. But what percentage of QB's drafted in the top three rounds become legitimate starters in the NFL? Is it even as high as 50? My point is that there isn't a signal QB in this years class that isn't just as much of a risk as Foles. That is why finding a legitimate QB is so darn hard in the NFL. 

Also, I do not think that Foles is the only option, nor do I even believe he is the best option. But to act as if any other QB in the draft is more of a sure thing than Nick Foles is just stupid. 

Foles only has 1 year left of cost-control, then he gets his huge raise.  

Foles also won't get traded unless Philly has some sort of contingency plan in place.  Wentz might not be ready for camp/preseason so you need to have someone else.  

1 minute ago, dneveu said:

Foles only has 1 year left of cost-control, then he gets his huge raise.  

Foles also won't get traded unless Philly has some sort of contingency plan in place.  Wentz might not be ready for camp/preseason so you need to have someone else.  

Right, but that's a cheap year to discover if he is worth the money. With Keenum you pay the money right now. 

Typically when the idea of trading Foles is brought up it's included with the statement that the Eagles really like Nate Sudfield. Who knows if that's accurate, but that is a big factor. 

• Like (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, BillsFan4 said:

Absolutely ZERO INETREST in Nick Foles if Philly wants a 1st, let alone a 1st + 4th + something else. 

Hes is a bridge QB who needs the right talent/system/playcalling and even then he's not great. He had an amazing Super Bowl game,  a good playoff game (or two) and a good season waynback in 2013. You don't pay a 1st + for that. 

Also - both times he had success at QB, it was in very innovative offense's. Chip Kelly's 1st year, and Doug Pederson's brilliant and creative play calling last year. 

Do we have that type of offense and playcalling here? Or are we going to be a comservativr run first team again this year? My guess is the latter. 

I wouldn't advocate giving up a first. I think he goes for less than that. As for playcalling, do we know that the Bills coaches are incapable of building a system around what a guy CAN do well? They have Tyrod Taylor. Doesn't shock me they want to run first and hold their breath when it's time to pass. We know what Foles did in the SB. Can you envision plugging in Tyrod to that game and seeing him do ANY PART of what Foles did? I can't. 

Edited by Boatdrinks

7 minutes ago, whatdrought said:

I never said any other QB in the draft is more of a sure thing and insinuating I did is just stupid.

But I do know this...each of those QBs, even the Whites and Laulettas of the draft have the potential to be just as good. Or, and here's a wild thought...better than Nick Foles. Sometimes you need to try for greatness. Taking Nick Foles and calling that good enough for now would be terribly uninspiring. 

You say Keenum would require a hefty investment and you're likely correct there. But Foles comes here I can almost promise you that he will get an extension. Maybe even "Case Keenum money". 

Eagles either need to trade what they can get for Foles or start him next year. He just delivered the Eagles their first Superbowl... He deserves to start. Eagles can't be selfish here... It would be a huge slap in the face if they don't trade him cause they don't like the offer and keep him on the bench. Take the 2nd rounder.

I'd be okay with a 2nd, but I don't see him as better than Keenum.  He's a backup who had a great run in 2 playoff games after floundering prior to that.   Reich had to redo parts of the offense to fit him. 

1 minute ago, Kmart128 said:

Eagles either need to trade what they can get for Foles or start him next year. He just delivered the Eagles their first Superbowl... He deserves to start. Eagles can't be selfish here... It would be a huge slap in the face if they don't trade him cause they don't like the offer and keep him on the bench. Take the 2nd rounder.

I see your point.  But on the other hand, when you can have Wentz and Foles as your backup, I'd want that.  You just won a SB with that combo, and it would be a slap to the fans to trade Foles perhaps unless you can get a haul in return.   Foles signed a multi-year deal with Philly, so he can't be too surprised if he's a backup there again.  

2 minutes ago, KelsaysLunchbox said:

I never said any other QB in the draft is more of a sure thing and insinuating I did is just stupid.

But I do know this...each of those QBs, even the Whites and Laulettas of the draft have the potential to be just as good. Or, and here's a wild thought...better than Nick Foles. Sometimes you need to try for greatness. Taking Nick Foles and calling that good enough for now would be terribly uninspiring. 

You say Keenum would require a hefty investment and you're likely correct there. But Foles comes here I can almost promise you that he will get an extension. Maybe even "Case Keenum money". 

Fair enough. Though the first post of mine that you responded to was my stating that those lower tier QB's do not have NFL stats to compare to Foles and thus are as much of a risk. 

And so does Nathan Peterman. That's the problem. It's all risk and the goal is to make the best decision based on the risk and expected reward. I personally think that using a second round pick for Nick Foles would be more inspiring than taking one of those guys with the same pick because with Foles there is proven capacity for success. He is more of a sure thing (not that he is at all mind you) because there is precedent for him to succeed. As for trying for greatness.... Super Bowl MVP. 

I don't know that that's the case. His is a unique situation where in he cannot demand a certain price because he is under contract. Keenum has the luxury of setting his number because he's a free agent. 

1 minute ago, RyanC883 said:

I'd be okay with a 2nd, but I don't see him as better than Keenum.  He's a backup who had a great run in 2 playoff games after floundering prior to that.   Reich had to redo parts of the offense to fit him. 

I see your point.  But on the other hand, when you can have Wentz and Foles as your backup, I'd want that.  You just won a SB with that combo, and it would be a slap to the fans to trade Foles perhaps unless you can get a haul in return.   Foles signed a multi-year deal with Philly, so he can't be too surprised if he's a backup there again.  

Normally I agree about the Foles signed the deal. But usually the backup doesn't come in and win a Superbowl... I'm sure he didn't in his life imagine that would happen. He signed the deal so he could make a living to provide for his family... But now he won a Superbowl. Imagine how he would feel if he got stuck on the bench... He brought the team to the highest level of achievement and he still doesn't get playing time. He deserves to see the field.

This shouldn't come as any surprise to anyone and it's exactly what was reported right after the Super Bowl by Peter King and others.   The Eagles have about $15M invested in the QB position between Wentz and Foles.  If you add in the uncertain status of Wentz heading into the season, they should be in no hurry to send Foles off to another team. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, whatdrought said:

Fair enough. Though the first post of mine that you responded to was my stating that those lower tier QB's do not have NFL stats to compare to Foles and thus are as much of a risk. 

And so does Nathan Peterman. That's the problem. It's all risk and the goal is to make the best decision based on the risk and expected reward. I personally think that using a second round pick for Nick Foles would be more inspiring than taking one of those guys with the same pick because with Foles there is proven capacity for success. He is more of a sure thing (not that he is at all mind you) because there is precedent for him to succeed. As for trying for greatness.... Super Bowl MVP. 

I don't know that that's the case. His is a unique situation where in he cannot demand a certain price because he is under contract. Keenum has the luxury of setting his number because he's a free agent. 

Joe Flacco, Malcolm Smith, Santanio Holmes, Deion Branch, Dexter Jackson, Desmond Howard, Larry Brown, Mark Rypien, Otis Anderson. All Super Bowl MVPs.