Mike White (WKU) the target?

PIZ

2 hours ago, FearLess Price said:

Right. I been saying this. Why are we still not realizing that we need to draft a QB high and invest in the most important position on the field.

Kirk Cousins, Jimmy Garropolo, Russell Wilson, Derek Carr, Dak Prescott, Drew Brees and Tom Brady might disagree.

I am not saying that it wouldn't be nice to get a top prospect, but:

1. Some good starting QBs can be found after round 1 (for sure a lower probability)

2. They are not getting high enough to get Rosen, Darnold or Mayfield -'after them I'm not sold enough on Allen, Jackson or Rudolph to trade up much for one of them.

Edited by OldTimer1960

This would be a Bills move. A draft loaded with interesting qbs and they settle on a 4th rounder as their guy. 

1 minute ago, OldTimer1960 said:

Kirk Cousins, Jimmy Garropolo, Russell Wilson, Derek Carr, Dak Prescott and Tom Brady might disagree.

RG3, Brady, Romo, Bledsoe.  Those were the qbs in front of those guys when they were drafted.  And Carr struggled as a rookie.  We have Nathan Peterman.

and what about the Bills history trust you to develop a mid round qb.  We need the most ready guy so we don't screw him up.

2 hours ago, FearLess Price said:

Right. I been saying this. Why are we still not realizing that we need to draft a QB high and invest in the most important position on the field.

Why not draft Mike White high? He is nothing like Peterman. He has an NFL arm and accuracy to make all of the throws. I will be very surprised if he doesn't go in the second round. 

1 hour ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

We already have Peterman.

LOL comparing Peterman to White. 6'2 QB with a very limited arm to a 6'5 QB that has an NFL arm. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, billspro said:

Why not draft Mike White high? He is nothing like Peterman. He has an NFL arm and accuracy to make all of the throws. I will be very surprised if he doesn't go in the second round. 

LOL comparing Peterman to White. 6'2 QB with a very limited arm to a 6'5 QB that has an NFL arm. 

Agree

• Thank you (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Paul Costa said:

White and Falk have pretty high ceilings. I’m in the keep TT for one more year and draft Jackson at 21 camp. But if they took BPA at 21&22 and took one of these guys or the Ok. St. QB in second or third would be solid too. ?TTP

why would we keep tt and draft the same guy? i'm saying this because success depends on a cerebral, accurate ,proven passer

not someone who can scramble if his 1st read isn't open. someone who has the smarts to audible. that's what we need.

White is not worth a 2nd round pick. Tall and big arm doesn't mean he can play football. 

White has tools, but they don't translate well to the NFL game. He doesn't read the field quickly, has poor pocket awareness and doesn't handle pressure very well. 

He's a guy you stash on the bench for a couple years hoping for the best, but he's not a 2nd round pick. Not even close. 

2 hours ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

People I'm sure said the same of Arron Rodgers and Tom Brady to name a couple.  Rodgers was a late #1, but  certainly not a talked about guy.

Did you watch the draft and the lead up to the draft that year? Based on what you said, you probably didn't.

Rodgers was highly talked about. A lot of people, including myself, felt he was the top QB in that 2005 draft. I didn't believe Smith would go No.1 until he was drafted.

This isn't just hindsight. I can show you articles showing Rodgers was regarded as a top 10 player.

http://walterfootball.com/draft2005.php

Had Rodgers going 5th overall

http://blackandgold.com/saints/7872-march-6-2005-mel-kipers-mock-draft.html

Kiper had him going 3rd overall

Nothing about those mocks indicates "certainly not a talked about guy"...unless you weren't listening.

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, KelsaysLunchbox said:

QBs that are smart with no obvious weakness don't typically get drafted in the 2nd. Don't get me wrong, he's a nice prospect, but I don't see a really high ceiling here. 

And great NFL QBs sometimes get overlooked. Especially when they play at lower level schools.

5 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

And great NFL QBs sometimes get overlooked. Especially when they play at lower level schools.

All I'm saying is if the plan is to unearth an overlooked QB the plan is bad. Very bad. Identify your guy and get him. Is it Rosen at 2? Mayfield at 5? Sit tight or slide up for Jackson? Wonderful...team has the draft capital to get whoever they want this year. No excuses. And no reason to select a lower tier prospect and "hope" you stuck gold.

2 hours ago, JMF2006 said:

Might as well keep TT,why waste a pick on V2.

What?

Cmp Att Pct Yds Y/A AY/A TD Int Rate
Taylor 495 865 57.2 7017 8.1 8.1 44 20 137.5
Jackson 619 1086 57 9043 8.3 8.5 69 27 142.9

Pretty similar from a completion, avg yards, and rating perspective.  Jackson had more completions and attempts, had a way better TD:INT ratio and a marginally better rating.

Then when you consider it took Taylor 4 years to compile those stats and Jackson has played 3, and won a friggin' Heisman. Your statement makes even less sense.

• Thank you (+1) 1

32 minutes ago, KelsaysLunchbox said:

All I'm saying is if the plan is to unearth an overlooked QB the plan is bad. Very bad. Identify your guy and get him. Is it Rosen at 2? Mayfield at 5? Sit tight or slide up for Jackson? Wonderful...team has the draft capital to get whoever they want this year. No excuses. And no reason to select a lower tier prospect and "hope" you stuck gold.

You should be happy that McBeane seem to have Plan Bs, Cs and Ds. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, FearLess Price said:

Because we don't. Look no further than the 2012 draft.  Where were Foles, Wilson, and Cousins drafted in relation to Luck, Griffin, Tannehill, Weeden, Osweiler,  How about Garropolo and Carr in 2014?  All of these so called top six guys have different problems.  None are worth spending extra picks to move up and get.  We can get a franchise guy at 21 easily.

3 hours ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

We already have Peterman.

I do not see Petemeister as having much of a ceiling.
 How do you compare White to Peterman ?
I think White should be on their list if the first round does not give them a fair shot at QB. Plenty of immediate starters and likely impact players for us at 21 22.

and yes i want Bills to find that QB of the future sooner than later.

• Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, KelsaysLunchbox said:

They really don’t have as much draft capital as many think.  Because both 1sts and both 2nd are in the bottom 1/3 of the respective rounds, it will be very difficult to out-bid Denver or the Jets at the top for any of the top 3.

i am sure that the plan is not to try to unearth an overlooked prospect.  But none of know how they have graded the QBs.

Scenario: Vikings sign Cousins, Browns take Rosen 1st, Giants take Darnold and Denver or the Jets trade a 2nd or 3rd rounder with Colts and take Mayfield.

They would have to think very hard before giving up both 1sts to move up for Allen or Jackson.  Now, if those guys drop to where maybe 21 & 53 get them there, maybe OK.  

But, none of us know what they think of any of these QBs.  It is not too much of a stretch to think that they might not like Allen, Jackson or Rudolph any better than they might like Mike White.  For sure Allen’s arm and Jackson’s running are elite traits, but they are risky guys in that you don’t really know if either will ever be accurate enough.  White has a strong arm, maybe better than Rudolph’s.  Maybe they think White is that cerebral pocket passer that they are looking for.

Just because the draft analysts see things one way, it doesn’t mean that some pro scouts don’t see thing differently.

1 hour ago, OldTimer1960 said:

Kirk Cousins, Jimmy Garropolo, Russell Wilson, Derek Carr, Dak Prescott, Drew Brees and Tom Brady might disagree.

I am not saying that it wouldn't be nice to get a top prospect, but:

1. Some good starting QBs can be found after round 1 (for sure a lower probability)

2. They are not getting high enough to get Rosen, Darnold or Mayfield -'after them I'm not sold enough on Allen, Jackson or Rudolph to trade up much for one of them.

reality sets in

4 minutes ago, OldTimer1960 said:

They really don’t have as much draft capital as many think.  Because both 1sts and both 2nd are in the bottom 1/3 of the respective rounds, it will be very difficult to out-bid Denver or the Jets at the top for any of the top 3.

i am sure that the plan is not to try to unearth an overlooked prospect.  But none of know how they have graded the QBs.

Scenario: Vikings sign Cousins, Browns take Rosen 1st, Giants take Darnold and Denver or the Jets trade a 2nd or 3rd rounder with Colts and take Mayfield.

They would have to think very hard before giving up both 1sts to move up for Allen or Jackson.  Now, if those guys drop to where maybe 21 & 53 get them there, maybe OK.  

But, none of us know what they think of any of these QBs.  It is not too much of a stretch to think that they might not like Allen, Jackson or Rudolph any better than they might like Mike White.  For sure Allen’s arm and Jackson’s running are elite traits, but they are risky guys in that you don’t really know if either will ever be accurate enough.  White has a strong arm, maybe better than Rudolph’s.  Maybe they think White is that cerebral pocket passer that they are looking for.

Just because the draft analysts see things one way, it doesn’t mean that some pro scouts don’t see thing differently.

as i have mentioned here and there. We probably should trust Bills use the draft to what they see is the best outcome. Long and Short term. I am sure the equation of FA comes into play at the beginning of the Process.

adjust as needed in the draft.

Hope they have spotted the QB and are lucky/skilled enough to get him. But who knows what they are thinking.OBD has really improved on the loose lips thingie we enjoyed over the years.

30 minutes ago, 3rdand12 said:

reality sets in

as i have mentioned here and there. We probably should trust Bills use the draft to what they see is the best outcome. Long and Short term. I am sure the equation of FA comes into play at the beginning of the Process.

adjust as needed in the draft.

Hope they have spotted the QB and are lucky/skilled enough to get him. But who knows what they are thinking.OBD has really improved on the loose lips thingie we enjoyed over the years.

In 2014, Blake Bortles, Jonny Manziel and Teddy Bridgewater were all rated higher than Derek Carr (and were drafted before Carr).  Yet, most would say that. Carr is the best QB from that draft.

in 2012, Andrew Luck, Robert Griffin 3, Ryan Tannehill, Brandon Weldon and Brock Osweiler were the top QB prospects and all but Osweiler went in round 1and Osweiler round 2.  Russell Wilson went in the 3rd, Kirk Cousins in the 4th and Nick Foles also went in the 3rd.

Edited by OldTimer1960
  • Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

This would be a Bills move. A draft loaded with interesting qbs and they settle on a 4th rounder as their guy. 

RG3, Brady, Romo, Bledsoe.  Those were the qbs in front of those guys when they were drafted.  And Carr struggled as a rookie.  We have Nathan Peterman.

and what about the Bills history trust you to develop a mid round qb.  We need the most ready guy so we don't screw him up.

Bills’ don’t need the “most ready to play” guy.  They need the guy who will be best over the long-haul.  But, just to play along, if they can’t get Rosen or Mayfield, do you think Darnold, Allen or Jackson are really ready to play immediately?

7 hours ago, RyanC883 said:

Wouldn't mind him in the 2nd round at all.  I think he's a better prospect than Rudolph, IMO.  

My ideal draft/QB scenario: 

1.  Veteran (Cousins, Bradford, Keenum).  

2.  Draft DL/pass rusher at 21, 22.  Instantly have a top D with a pass rush and our secondary. 

3.  Draft QB in second, trading up if necessary to grab Luke Falk, Mike White, etc.  Jump to top of second if L. Jackson is somehow still there.  

I am all over this....cept the Randolph part, but I digress....stay pat - get the players needed and not for nothing but we BE needing them - get a QB in later rounds.....none of those guys are gonna meet "Kelly like" expectations so seriously - why bother?.....honestly do you see ANYONE meeting the bar this year, ANYONE??  ANYONE you know that DEEP in YOUR heart is going to be worth 2 Firsts this year another first next year and god only knows what else to maybe just maybe have a QB that will be sorta OK for us?  Not for nothing none of these guys wanna make me break the bank....  none.  of.  them.

2 hours ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

LMFAO!!!!  Best laugh I had in awhile.......worst part - sadly it it most likely true! 

Damn....being a Bills fan ain't easy..............

Edited by Kwai San

7 hours ago, KelsaysLunchbox said:

Talent and tape mean more than location. If he was as talented as the rest he would be ranked among the others. White, Lauletta, Falk ect are the "little brothers" of this draft.

They also played at " small " schools, so the reporters i.e.  Kiper , Schrecter and so on just give them the. brush and hope like hell they don't set the league on fire in the first year because by the second year nobody cares 

Bills’ don’t need the “most ready to play” guy.  They need the guy who will be best over the long-haul.  But, just to play along, if they can’t get Rosen or Mayfield, do you think Darnold, Allen or Jackson are really ready to play immediately?

Nope nope they aren't - imo none of the 5 of 6 you throw out there is ready to play right away.....bit of time effort and energy needed for most if not all of them,  imo.

8 hours ago, RyanC883 said:

Wouldn't mind him in the 2nd round at all.  I think he's a better prospect than Rudolph, IMO.  

My ideal draft/QB scenario: 

1.  Veteran (Cousins, Bradford, Keenum).  

2.  Draft DL/pass rusher at 21, 22.  Instantly have a top D with a pass rush and our secondary. 

3.  Draft QB in second, trading up if necessary to grab Luke Falk, Mike White, etc.  Jump to top of second if L. Jackson is somehow still there.  

If you are grabbing a guy in the top of the second, I'd push hard to get him at 32...There are no 5th year options on 2nd rounders, but if you are getting a QB at 33-36, you might as well spend a little more to get up to 32.

• Like (+1) 1

I agree on your first comment for sure - BUT I am worried about the media hyped "guys" and what the Bills NEED. 

I have an awful lot of hope in the hope that Bills Brass knows this too.  Be smart......the QB's are good but are they blowing potentially the next 4-5 years away good???  Cuz thats where we are gonna be - smack the mofo deep in the crap pit w the other AFC East teams moving by us, while we hope and pray some amazing awesome crazy good QB that we supposedly select THIS year is gonna pan out quick before our lack of anything allows him to win.  We need to the build a team, we are SERIOUSLY too thin at too many spots on the field.....see EAGLES 2017.  Those type of injuries??? Hell, the Bills wouldn't beat SU!

Bottom line, IMO - no QB's here in this draft that NEED to be blowing the whole thing up and trying to fill in it afterwards.......I am hoping that Bill Brass has the same thing in mind.

Is this what it's come down to with this fanbase?  Are we so desperate for a QB that some nobody from freaking WESTERN KENTUCKY UNIVERSITY is seen as worth spending a 2nd round pick on?!?!!?!!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!!!!!?!?  WHY!??!?!?!?!   "Because Russell Wilson in the 3rd and Nick Foles in the 4th"!?!!??!!?!?!?!?!?!??!?!?!?!?!!?

3 minutes ago, Buffalo Bills Detective said:

Is this what it's come down to with this fanbase?  Are we so desperate for a QB that some nobody from freaking WESTERN KENTUCKY UNIVERSITY is seen as worth spending a 2nd round pick on?!?!!?!!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!!!!!?!?  WHY!??!?!?!?!   "Because Russell Wilson in the 3rd and Nick Foles in the 4th"!?!!??!!?!?!?!?!?!??!?!?!?!?!!?

Carson Wentz went to Freaking North Dakota State, Derek Carr went freaking Fresno State and Ben Roethlisberger is from freaking Miami of Ohio.  Some small-school prospects do ok.

Edited by OldTimer1960

1 minute ago, OldTimer1960 said:

Carson Wentz went to Freaking North Dakota State, Derek Carr went freaking Fresno State and Ben Roethlisberger is from freaking Miami of Ohio.  Some small-school prospects do ok.

Hate to break it to you, but Wentz and Roethlisberger were projected to be high 1st round picks and Carr was projected to be a late 1st, early 2nd round pick.  This Mike White is projected to be a mid to late rounder, at best, and possibly an undrafted free agent.

Just now, Buffalo Bills Detective said:

Hate to break it to you, but Wentz and Roethlisberger were projected to be high 1st round picks and Carr was projected to be a late 1st, early 2nd round pick.  This Mike White is projected to be a mid to late rounder, at best, and possibly an undrafted free agent.

Again, projected by whom?  Some NFL scouts may be a lot higher on White than the draft pundits.  I am not saying that is necessarily the case, but it might very well be true. 

3 minutes ago, OldTimer1960 said:

Again, projected by whom?  Some NFL scouts may be a lot higher on White than the draft pundits.  I am not saying that is necessarily the case, but it might very well be true. 

" Team sources haven't been excited about him and say he is just a guy.  They are grading White as a very late-rounder or undrafted free agent. They think he has good size and accuracy, sees the field pretty well, and is smart. They also believe, however, that his arm strength and below-average athleticism give him a ceiling as a third-string quarterback in the NFL."
- Walter Football

4 minutes ago, Buffalo Bills Detective said:

" Team sources haven't been excited about him and say he is just a guy.  They are grading White as a very late-rounder or undrafted free agent. They think he has good size and accuracy, sees the field pretty well, and is smart. They also believe, however, that his arm strength and below-average athleticism give him a ceiling as a third-string quarterback in the NFL."
- Walter Football

“Team sources” also said that Cordy Glenn couldn’t play OT.

Teams throw out all sorts of misinformation about prospects.

To be clear, I am NOT saying that I know any scouts think of him as a 1st or 2nd round pick, but it would not surprise me given his arm, size and experience as a starter.  Mike Mayock praises his knowledge of the game.

i would not use an anonymous quote posted on Walter Football as evidence of how the NFL views any player.

Edited by OldTimer1960
  • Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Art in RTP said:

The talking heads have him in the 3rd , I have no idea what the scouts( BILLS ) think.

Exactly.  Any actual NFL scout is not divulging real information to any media person even if that media person was the scout's room mate from college.

2 minutes ago, OldTimer1960 said:

“Team sources” also said that Cordy Glenn couldn’t play OT.

Teams throw out all sorts of misinformation about prospects.

To be clear, I am NOT saying that I know any scouts think of him as a 1st or 2nd round pick, but it would not surprise me given his arm, size and experience as a starter.  Mike Mayock praises his knowledge of the game.

i would not use an anonymous quote posted on Walter Football as evidence of how the NFL views any player.

Whatever. I give up.  SAVE US, MIKE WHITE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

37 minutes ago, dulles said:

If you are grabbing a guy in the top of the second, I'd push hard to get him at 32...There are no 5th year options on 2nd rounders, but if you are getting a QB at 33-36, you might as well spend a little more to get up to 32.

Yes, if there was a QB prospect there that the Bills strongly felt good about then they could take one of their seconds and maybe combine it with 2019 second round pick to move up to get him at 32.  The risk/reward factor would be in balance here.

3 hours ago, jrober38 said:

White is not worth a 2nd round pick. Tall and big arm doesn't mean he can play football. 

White has tools, but they don't translate well to the NFL game. He doesn't read the field quickly, has poor pocket awareness and doesn't handle pressure very well. 

He's a guy you stash on the bench for a couple years hoping for the best, but he's not a 2nd round pick. Not even close. 

Who says he doesn’t read the field well - Mike Mayock thinks he is impressive mentally and is one the best anticipation passers this year.

26 minutes ago, Buffalo Bills Detective said:

There is much, much more to Mike White than your summarized sentence. It would behoove you to do a little background information on him....he’s a very intriguing prospect with a MLB quality fastball. I prefer Rudolph but I would take White with the Bills second 2nd rounder only because I don’t think he’ll last until the final pick of the 3rd round. 

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, BigBuff423 said:

There is much, much more to Mike White than your summarized sentence. It would behoove you to do a little background information on him....he’s a very intriguing prospect with a MLB quality fastball. I prefer Rudolph but I would take White with the Bills second 2nd rounder only because I don’t think he’ll last until the final pick of the 3rd round. 

I do thank God you are not the one making decisions for this team.

57 minutes ago, BigBuff423 said:

....sad isn't it?.....the lad should know OBD has fared "ok" with players from megapowers like Kutztown, Coe or Chadron State......although not a Bill, Mississippi Valley State sent some guy to the NFL who I think turned out to be decent, but his name escapes me.....

• Like (+1) 2

Per Mike Mayock:

"

New England Patriots

After trading QBs Jimmy Garoppolo and Jacoby Brissett, the AFC champs need to insert another young quarterback into an understudy role behind Tom Brady. But if the first round is too rich to do so (New England picks at No. 31 overall), potential options, per Mayock, include Oklahoma State's Mason Rudolph, Washington State's Luke Falk and Western Kentucky's Mike White. Other quarterback possibilities who Mayock called "a notch below that" include Richmond's Kyle Lauletta and Logan Woodside of Toledo".

Mike White sees himself as the number 1 QB in draft:

http://www.nbcsports.com/washington/video/wku-qb-mike-white-sees-himself-no-1-qb-2018-nfl-draft

Edited by PIZ
  • Like (+1) 1