1st Round Trade DOWN?

nikuman

If they pickup a QB in free agency (not an impossibility) I could easily see them trading down with 21, then making a selection with 22.

Having said that, I hope they trade up for Darnold/Rosen/Mayfield.

1 hour ago, nikuman said:

Every single discussion of a 1st round trade that I've seen out there has the Bills moving up in the first round.  But given the number of holes we have to fill, I think we pick at #21 then see if there's anyone who wants to move up for the #22 pick.  Based on the value chart, it looks like we could pick up an extra 2nd or 3rd round pick by dropping back 10-15 places.  Arguments for or against?

I’m all for it. We have a TON of holes to fill. 

Edited by Seanbillsfan2206

Every team in the league wants to trade down ~10 spots and pick up an extra 2nd or 3rd.

The vast majority of 1st round trades are for QBs (look at the list last year, you don't see a 1st round move for a non-QB until pick 26, and then it's using late 3rd or 4th rounders to move a handful of spots).

The book is out, every team in the league wants to maximize draft capital.

54 minutes ago, artmalibu said:

At the end of the day 1 sure thing is better than 2  maybes.....

Your logic here is valid but the the reality of draft picks is that there are no sure things; an untrue but valid argument.  

1 hour ago, artmalibu said:

Way too many moving parts.  If moving back to not get a difference maker does not make sence.  If a deal can get don to trade back like last year then get it done.  

At the end of the day 1 sure thing is better than 2  maybes.....

Moving back might get you a difference maker because it gives you more picks - more chances to win the draft lottery.  

1 minute ago, hondo in seattle said:

Moving back might get you a difference maker because it gives you more picks - more chances to win the draft lottery.  

The old Quality vs Quantity argument. 

Take Quality of those Lottery Tickets every time over Quantity of them 

1 hour ago, nikuman said:

Every single discussion of a 1st round trade that I've seen out there has the Bills moving up in the first round.  But given the number of holes we have to fill, I think we pick at #21 then see if there's anyone who wants to move up for the #22 pick.  Based on the value chart, it looks like we could pick up an extra 2nd or 3rd round pick by dropping back 10-15 places.  Arguments for or against?

It all depends.  There are 2 QB who are predicted to draft high that I'm interested in - Rosen and Mayfield.  That may not be the Bills 2 QB, but the principle is the same - there shouldn't be 4 QB the Bills love equally because they all have different =/-.  Only 1 or 2 they think are good.

Then there are probably 1-3 QB they have slotted in as a low 1st round grade, or a high 2nd round grade.  So if one of those QB is there, they could either take him or trade back, depending on who they can land in FA.  QB you draft after the top 2-4 picks have significantly lower probability to succeed and typically take longer to develop, so you really want to have a QB you're comfortable with as serviceable signed for 2 years if you try that.

Trading back is a dangerous game unless there are really at least 2 guys you like equally.

2 hours ago, MrEpsYtown said:

If we can't trade up this is something that I would consider. I think it makes a lot of sense. People like to trade up into the bottom of the first all of the time. I think it really depends who is on the board at the time. 

I totally agree.  If our top guy is gone by our pick, and we get a call, trade and pickup another second and 3rd.  We still have the OTHER 1st round pick, so heck, even if our guy is there, there could be a drop off in our draft board between 21 and 22.  I'd def consider this.  

• Like (+1) 1

I have been saying this ALL offseason if the guy we want is gone at 21 and 22 trade both of them down for later first round and early second round picks.   We need talent on this roster than next year go all in at rookie QB and the Kid from NC State looks like he has the arm and poise and stayed one more year to develop.

Trade up AND Trade down?

Just ran some numbers off the value chart. Hypothetical (approx)...

Trade #21 up to ~#7 (top 10), and give up #21, #53, #56

Then,

Trade #22 down to ~#32 (bottom 10),  and receive #32 and #64 (a low 2nd round).

NET:

Original Picks: #21, #22, #53, #56

Trade UP/Down Scenario: #7, #32, #64

May be something creative like that?

1 hour ago, sleeby said:

Your logic here is valid but the the reality of draft picks is that there are no sure things; an untrue but valid argument.  

1 hour ago, hondo in seattle said:

1 hour ago, MAJBobby said:

The old Quality vs Quantity argument. 

Take Quality of those Lottery Tickets every time over Quantity of them 

Again it’s moving parts. All drafts are different. Just think if the bills traded back twice last year they likely would have missed a very good corner. Yes they could have gotten more picks but a true starting corner like they got it better than moving back and gaining a pick. 

if you love a a guy when you are up make the pick. If not sold on a guy trade away and gain chances. 

There is no hard and fast rules.  If the 2 or 3 guys you want are gone trade is great. If  a couple of guys are there that you thought would be gone pick them.

Just too many different things could happen between now and when the daft is going on to make any hard calls. 

I do have faith in the guys in charge. I don’t think they will risky because there are  in position to lay the ground work for a good future. Had a good draft last year and with good usage of the resources this year they could have a good core to build on. 

• Like (+1) 1

If you feel there isn't any sure fire franchise QB's at 21, I'd be OK with moving back and doing like last year trade the #22 to a team for another a 2nd and next years 1st.  That would give the Bills 5 picks in the first three rounds, enough to fill many holes. Next year then wouldn't mind trading two 1st, plus a 2nd  and/or 3rd to move up to the top as then wouldn't have as many holes to fill overall. 

Preferably I'd try and make the trade with a team not expected to do that well next season, so lets assume the Bills again finish 9-7 and get the 21st  pick, plus the 1st from a 5-11 team which would likely be around #10  Those two picks plus 2nd, 3rd could get you up pretty close to the top.

8 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

They are trading up and doing it for a Quarterback.  What will be interesting is how they approach the rest of the draft after that point.

If they do, you won't have to worry about the rest of the draft.  There will be no decent picks left. 

Edited by Loosh