A coup for Beane

gjv001

34 minutes ago, Commonsense said:

Really? Are you sure they didn't need the extra picks so they could trade for another wideout heading towards FA? 

Well that's exactly what they did when they shipped a 3rd and a 7th for a guy with an injury history that rivals Watkins. In fact he was a tully injured at the time of the trade. 

So what are you talking about? Lets stop acting like a late 2nd round pick is the back breaker in moving up for a QB. If they want to get into the top 5 the phone call goes like this 21,22 next years first and....

That 2nd round pick could very easily be a key part in a tradeup for a QB. 

And no, Benjamin's injury history isn't anything near as bad as Sammy's. Sammy's had a bunch of different injuries, never very often seeming fully healthy, while Benjamin has essentially had one injury. It was a bad one, but he hasn't been often injured.

Sammy = high risk http://sportsinjurypredictor.com/player/sammy-watkins/6937

Benjamin = low risk http://sportsinjurypredictor.com/player/kelvin-benjamin/6952

And yeah, the Bills gave up a 3rd and a 6th for Benjamin. And while the 3rd could theoretically come back to haunt them with it's absence, we had two thirds at the time and still have one. And a 3rd is simply worth less than a 2nd. And they made that net gain for a guy who has been just about as prolific as Sammy, game for game but will cost around $10 million less next year and who last year saved the Bills nearly $2 mill on the cap compared to what Sammy would have if they'd kept him.

Benjamin is under contract to the Bills for another year at $8.459 mill while Sammy may either be let go or franchised at around $17 mill. He saved money against the cap last year, he will be kept with major savings next year, they still have the 2nd they acquired for Sammy to trade for a QB and it looks like it could well be an integral part of the deal, assuming there is one. And he has a much less consistent history of injury.

So, yeah, really.

Edited by Thurman#1

4 minutes ago, Thurman#1 said:

That 2nd round pick could very easily be a key part in a tradeup for a QB. 

And no, Benjamin's injury history isn't anything near as bad as Sammy's. Sammy's had a bunch of different injuries, never very often seeming fully healthy, while Benjamin has essentially had one injury. It was a bad one, but he hasn't been often injured.

Sammy = high risk http://sportsinjurypredictor.com/player/sammy-watkins/6937

Benjamin = low risk http://sportsinjurypredictor.com/player/kelvin-benjamin/6952

And yeah, the Bills gave up a 3rd and a 6th for Benjamin. And while the 3rd could theoretically come back to haunt them with it's absence, we had two thirds at the time and still have one. And a 3rd is simply worth less than a 2nd. And they made that net gain for a guy who has been just about as prolific as Sammy, game for game but will cost around $10 million less next year and who last year saved the Bills nearly $2 compared to what Sammy would have if they'd kept him.

Benjamin saved money against the cap including major savings next year, they still have the 2nd they acquired for Sammy to trade for a QB and it looks like it could well be an integral part of the deal, assuming there is one. And he has a much less consistent history of injury.

So, yeah, really.

Why didn't they trade away Shady? Why didn't they release 2 or 3 fringe players so they could get the third round comp pick? Oh that's right they said they were going to change the culture while competing. Exactly what they did. McD is recreating what BB has in NE, no nonsense team first culture. Heck even the Boston media praised him for it. No idea how you are missing that.

You only accept nickels back on a dollar because you don't value the dollar. Concern about Sammy's injury...hah...his Jones Fracture process was the same as all the other freak high profile athletes who had the procedure/procedures done. The concern was his attitude. The same one he spoke of after leaving and the same attitude that left him apologizing for quitting on plays in LA.

So they ditched a healthy Watkins for a draft pick, then traded for an injured KB and in the meantime kept fringe players which cost them a third round compensatory pick. It seems pretty clear with the timing of the trade and their in season decisions that they were focused on winning not just accumulating picks. 

Earlier you said no one made a comment about Sammy leaving? That is also untrue. All this stuff has been discussed up and down, Sammy himself has admitted to his own faults. Those faults are why he is gone. I'm done with it! Agree to disagree. 

15 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Agreed.  Sammy is on his way into the history books as a touted 1st round pick who didn't live up to his billing. 

He gets the asterisk that he hasn't had an ideal situation - QB, injury, and scheme problems.

I'm Sammy, I go for a lower, but short "prove it" deal with the very best QB and team I can get with, in the hopes that I light up the place and rejuvenate my career.

Sammy to the Patriots!

2 hours ago, MAJBobby said:

Yeah I dont think he leave Rams actually. They will tag him, trade or Cut Austin and then re-sign Sammy to a LTD 

I don't understand the "tag" talk.

Sammy was #4 in receiving yardage for the Rams, #4 in targets, #4 in receptions - that's with Woods playing 3 fewer games. 

Meanwhile you've got Woods playing for $5M next year.

I don't see how you can tag your #4 guy without causing hard feelings towards the team from guys who are earning less and doing more.

• Like (+1) 1

17 hours ago, gjv001 said:

Would be quite a coup for Beane to get Sammy Watkins back from Los Angeles. 

Not to mention he would be a huge upgrade over Mathews and be the sorely needed

deep threat in our WR corp. Watkins, Benjamin, and Jones , not too shabby. 

It seems like we have some posters around here of late that must be smoking some really good ****. I mean like next level ****.  

giphy.gif

17 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Agreed.  Sammy is on his way into the history books as a touted 1st round pick who didn't live up to his billing. 

He gets the asterisk that he hasn't had an ideal situation - QB, injury, and scheme problems.

I'm Sammy, I go for a lower, but short "prove it" deal with the very best QB and team I can get with, in the hopes that I light up the place and rejuvenate my career.

Who the Bills paid two firsts and a fourth from a GM who watched too many highlight films on the guy. This and the fact that the kid caught most of his college passes in screen plays. 

From what I see Watkins isn't even a #1 WR on a team that needs a #1 WR as he had 14 game starts in 2017 with not even 600 yards total. Although he did have 8 TD catches does that make him worth a franchise tag with more than 16 mill per or as Spotrac holds him at 6 mill per. I think he is going to want 10-12 mill and he isn't worth that amount considering his injury history.  Let the Rams attempt to sign him.  

18 hours ago, gjv001 said:

Would be quite a coup for Beane to get Sammy Watkins back from Los Angeles. 

Not to mention he would be a huge upgrade over Mathews and be the sorely needed

deep threat in our WR corp. Watkins, Benjamin, and Jones , not too shabby. 

It would almost vindicate not (even attempting to) resigning J. Matthews and would definitely be an almost unprecedented  win on the Rams trade in particular.

I know this is a stretch (I am being a homer) but if we resigned Watkins and Gaines (albeit more unlikely after Vontae), we would have then traded Sammy to the Rams for a second and Gaines and still ended up with both under contract and their second. IF and that is a HUGE IF, this were to take place, I would imagine it is very very rare. In fact, I would love to know, as I am unsure as to how often something like that goes down in the NFL.

I mean literally it would be trading a player to be rented for one season (at 800yds, 8tds(ish)) in exchange for a more than plus starter (when healthy) and a second rd pick... Only to come back and resign the same player that they traded earlier.... That would be like twilight zone GM moves. But then again, it's Friday and I am in a very lofty mood.

Sammy Owes us production. He was oft injured and even when semi healthy he disappeared allot during games. I'm not saying we had the highest caliber of QB throwing too him. Even with Goff he wasn't exactly lighting it up he was still streaky and Woods outplayed him almost every game. 

Edited by buffalobloodfloridahome