NFL Combine - Measurements, Times, and Other News

thebandit27

15 hours ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

....funny how people drool or puke over 40 times....when the hell does a guy get to run 40 yds unimpeded during the real deal?......Jesus, Slo Mo Jerry Rice ran a 4.73 and yes, he eventually "sucked".....

Jerry rice running a 4.73 is a pretty well known myth.

Bill Walsh was quoted as Jerry running a 4.59 in the 40, and rice himself has always said he was not above 4.6.

He wasn't the fastest wr, but he was not a 4.73 either.

Here's a good link btw, with some excerpts from Walsh regarding the draft, rice, 40 times, etc

http://www.sportsxchange.com/DS97/walsh/walsh3.htm

6 minutes ago, BuffaloRebound said:

Any reason Gesicki not getting more buzz around here?  Guy blew up the combine and was hugely productive at Penn State.  Carolina had an elite TE in Olsen when McBeane was there.  

There is a Gesicki thread on college forum. He’s a hybrid TE i think. More of a big WR. Can’t block. Great contested catch guy. Just throw it up to him. Been watching him since HS.  I like him in the 3rd or later. 

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Like (+1) 1

MMQB:

• Top 10? Asked several GMs/scouts/coaches for their top 10 in the draft as of today. Here’s the consensus, in an order close to this:

Barkley,

USC QB Sam Darnold,

North Carolina State pass-rusher Bradley Chubb,

Allen, Oklahoma QB

Baker Mayfield, UCLA QB

Josh Rosen,

Notre Dame G Quenton Nelson 

Alabama DB Minkah Fitzpatrick 

Ohio State CB Denzel Ward

Georgia LB Roquan Smith

https://www.si.com/nfl/2018/03/05/nfl-combine-2018-news-josh-rosen-shaquem-griffin-mmqb-peter-king

Edited by Reed83HOF

11 minutes ago, BuffaloRebound said:

Any reason Gesicki not getting more buzz around here?  Guy blew up the combine and was hugely productive at Penn State.  Carolina had an elite TE in Olsen when McBeane was there.  

I like him, and I've seen some scouts compare him to Gronk. Another Penn State guy to keep an eye on is Christian Campbell, 6th or 7th round CB with really long arms and better playing off-man/zone. I think McDermott will draft one of these Penn State guys.

Just now, joesixpack said:

He was also a DE. Don't need a 49 as a DE. DO as a QB.

49 on the wonderlic is damn impressive.  And Mamula used his brains to outsmart Eagles.  He knew there was an emphasis on the combine results, so he specifically trained all year for the underwear olympics and got paid.  BTW he played 6 years and was pretty good

3 hours ago, SouthNYfan said:

Jerry rice running a 4.73 is a pretty well known myth.

Bill Walsh was quoted as Jerry running a 4.59 in the 40, and rice himself has always said he was not above 4.6.

He wasn't the fastest wr, but he was not a 4.73 either.

Here's a good link btw, with some excerpts from Walsh regarding the draft, rice, 40 times, etc

http://www.sportsxchange.com/DS97/walsh/walsh3.htm

...thanks.......appreciate clarification.......

6 hours ago, Commonsense said:

Vander Esch

98 percentile for height

95 for weight 

96 for wingspan

3 cone under 7 seconds

4.66 40 yard dash

2 best shuttle 

This kid is a beast!

Id Take McCray from Michigan over him anytime.

1 minute ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...thanks.......appreciate clarification.......

No problem

By the way I agree with you commitment about 40 times being overblown

Rice was a great example of that, his 4.59 dash was #13 for wr in his draft class

The Walsh article I linked goes into great detail about how combine times aren't as important, but the drills/events are still very good at determining things, such as a OL or DL running the 40, they look at his running mechanics, how his balance looks, etc