Confirmed: Josh Rosen Will Be One of the Bills' 30 Pre-Draft Visits - At One Bills Drive Today (4-10)

26CornerBlitz

1 minute ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Nonsense. They essentially spent two days just to fly out there when they could have invested that time elsewhere. 

You don’t think they can work on the plane or in a conference room at the hotel?  

3 minutes ago, aristocrat said:

You don’t think they can work on the plane or in a conference room at the hotel?  

They could have been at OBD taking pre-draft visitors in or conducting private workouts elsewhere with other prospects.  But sure, it means nothing.  ;)

Edited by 26CornerBlitz
  • Haha (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

They could have been at OBD taking pre-draft visitors in or conducting private workouts elsewhere with other prospects.  But sure, it means nothing.  ;)

Man you really don’t read do you? Said everything and nothing. It could very well be meaningless. It’s not like guys aren’t back at the office and they took visitors for weeks.  Saying it’s some huge deal isn’t really that educated.  It could mean nothing 

4 minutes ago, aristocrat said:

Man you really don’t read do you? Said everything and nothing. It could very well be meaningless. It’s not like guys aren’t back at the office and they took visitors for weeks.  Saying it’s some huge deal isn’t really that educated.  It could mean nothing 

I read. Your agrument is weak and specious.   No way they take the time and effort to fly out to LA just for some meaningless purpose during this important two week period before the draft.  Saying it could be meaningless is just silly. 

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

3 minutes ago, aristocrat said:

26 already said it, but they wouldn't be going out to the other end of the country to meet a QB projected to go first overall with less than two weeks before the draft unless there was something to it. 

4 minutes ago, BillsEnthusiast said:

26 already said it, but they wouldn't be going out to the other end of the country to meet a QB projected to go first overall with less than two weeks before the draft unless there was something to it. 

The weather has been terrible on the east coast though.  Cali in April is an awesome place to be.

12 minutes ago, BillsEnthusiast said:

also, if i'm Darnold's agent i'm not setting up private workouts for every team that calls.  think about it.  if he's projected to go #1 and definitely in the top 5 then I'm not setting up workouts and wearing him out unless the team convinces me they are willing and able to move up to get him.  there's only so much time before the draft, you obviously aren't working out for all of the teams.  your arm would fall off

42 minutes ago, Derby Dan said:

Glad we are bringing him.  Great smoke screen.  Nfl ready but is fragile and one concussion away from retirement

Bringing him where?

This is like the telephone game.  

How are you going to provide insight of anything that will happen if you dont even get the basics of the factual circumstances correct??

Yikes

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, MrEpsYtown said:

Remember that Matt Miller wrote this in December:

With two first-round selections thanks to the 2017 draft-day trade with the Kansas City Chiefs, the Buffalo Bills are perfectly positioned to move up and select a quarterback. And they would have to, based on the most recent draft order that has them selecting No. 16 and No. 19 overall. All the way back in August, I started hearing from rival scouts that folks in Buffalo loved Sam Darnold. When rumors circulated that Darnold wouldn't want to go to Cleveland (which he squashed), a source connected to the Bills front office texted me to ask if the USC passer would rebuff the Bills. Darnold won't be on the board for long--in fact he might be the first pick, if he declares--but there is serious smoke connecting the Bills to him.

And Eric Galko reported this in February: 

They have aggressively scouting quarterbacks all year long. I think Josh Rosen is the apple of their eye. It'll be hard to go up and get him, but I think the tie between Buffalo and Giants GM David Gettleman kind of paints a picture of where they both might be thinking to go. They've traveled to see him multiple times. I've been told by people around the league that a lot of teams feel Buffalo covets Josh Rosen.... People consider that Buffalo and Josh Rosen are a match. It'll be difficult to get him, they'll need to get into the top two picks.

Both of these reports came out pre combine and really early in the process, which makes me believe them. Typically teams have a board set and then the combine and workouts and things of that nature kind of check boxes and confirm "they are you thought they were." Ownership gets a chance to meet these guys as well. Rumors like this are always the ones that are closest to the truth. To me, they are getting one of these two guys some way, which will make me happy. I think everyone knows we are getting a quarterback and so the smokescreen is to bring every single one of them in so we can sort of hide which guy we really want. 

I've read much the same. 

Yet if this is the guy, the one you wanted all along ... why is it that a couple of weeks before the draft there is a sudden announcement that you are going to have a private workout in California? I am not sure, but doesn't Sam Darnold have a trip planned to Cleveland and NYC at almost the same time? The Bills couldn't arrange a time for him to come to Orchard Park?

At the singularly busiest time of the year for the brain trust they are making a special, West Coast trip spending 6-7 hours in the air for this? 

The argument could be made that the meeting was set up a long time ago and we didn't know about it - I doubt that. We don't know why they decided to travel all of a sudden. But if Sam Darnold was the top choice from word one, well, that's some way to handle a billion dollar business. 

1 hour ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

I read. Your agrument is weak and specious.   No way they take the time and effort to fly out to LA just for some meaningless purpose during this important two week period before the draft.  Saying it could be meaningless is just silly. 

So you're saying the gm in what might be the most pivotal draft in bills history is going to telegraph is move to the world two weeks before the draft? Good lord if that's what he's doing we have the wrong gm

2 minutes ago, aristocrat said:

So you're saying the gm in what might be the most pivotal draft in bills history is going to telegraph is move to the world two weeks before the draft? Good lord if that's what he's doing we have the wrong gm

No. I'm not saying that at all. Man your interpretive skills are horrid. It's obvious they have interest in drafting a QB and of course they are legitimately interested in Darnold just as they are in the other top QBs in the 2018 draft. 

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

2 hours ago, Tyrod's friend said:

I've read much the same. 

Yet if this is the guy, the one you wanted all along ... why is it that a couple of weeks before the draft there is a sudden announcement that you are going to have a private workout in California? I am not sure, but doesn't Sam Darnold have a trip planned to Cleveland and NYC at almost the same time? The Bills couldn't arrange a time for him to come to Orchard Park?

At the singularly busiest time of the year for the brain trust they are making a special, West Coast trip spending 6-7 hours in the air for this? 

The argument could be made that the meeting was set up a long time ago and we didn't know about it - I doubt that. We don't know why they decided to travel all of a sudden. But if Sam Darnold was the top choice from word one, well, that's some way to handle a billion dollar business. 

Dont forget workout rules differ with a visit and going to see him..

5 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Please go away.  Either you are not legit and one sick puppy, or you are legit and put LAMP above the good of the team.

Completely agree. It is most likely the first one. It would be really lame if someone with knowledge of the Bills organization posted on a message board to boost their ego.

4 hours ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

They flew all the way to Los Angeles for a smokescreen?  :lol:

No, I don't think that.  But neither do I think it indicates that he's necessarily their choice IF they can get to the top-2 or that they're going to try.

They need to do their due diligence on everyone, what would it be if "oh, woaoa, the Browns really did take Allen #1, now what?  Do we go to #2 for Darnold?

Darnold or Rosen, Damn!  Wish we'd have arranged a private workout to answer a couple questions we had......."

Does anyone track the pre-draft visits we've had?  I know we only get 30, so it's possible we couldn't bring Darnold in, or we assumed we couldn't get him when we were scheduling them, filled the schedule, then said oh, hey.....

18 minutes ago, gobills1212 said:

Dont forget workout rules differ with a visit and going to see him..

I didn't know that, can you explain?

2 hours ago, gobills1212 said:

Last night weren't you talking about the browns as well??

Second pick, 1st or 4th pick, Semantics also.

3 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

No, I don't think that.  But neither do I think it indicates that he's necessarily their choice IF they can get to the top-2 or that they're going to try.

They need to do their due diligence on everyone, what would it be if "oh, woaoa, the Browns really did take Allen #1, now what?  Do we go to #2 for Darnold?

Darnold or Rosen, Damn!  Wish we'd have arranged a private workout to answer a couple questions we had......."

Does anyone track the pre-draft visits we've had?  I know we only get 30, so it's possible we couldn't bring Darnold in, or we assumed we couldn't get him when we were scheduling them, filled the schedule, then said oh, hey.....

I didn't know that, can you explain?

Second pick, 1st or 4th pick, Semantics also.

http://buffalonews.com/2018/04/12/beane-bills-pre-draft-visitors-get-first-class-treatment/

2nd point Rosen example explains it best!

• The 30-player limit does not apply to prospects whose college or hometown is in the same metropolitan area as the team’s facility. If a club provides transportation or lodging to such a player, he would count toward the total.
  • A physical examination is the only permissible reason for a team to bring a draft-eligible player to its city and/or training facility before the draft. Players cannot be put through any physicals drills or timed. They are allowed to take written tests. For example, when the Bills visit UCLA quarterback Josh Rosen in California for a workout, Rosen can throw for Bills' personnel. When Rosen comes to One Bills Drive, he can't. However, players who attend college or whose hometown is in the same metropolitan area can be timed and otherwise put through drills.

1 minute ago, gobills1212 said:

http://buffalonews.com/2018/04/12/beane-bills-pre-draft-visitors-get-first-class-treatment/

2nd point Rosen example explains it best!

• The 30-player limit does not apply to prospects whose college or hometown is in the same metropolitan area as the team’s facility. If a club provides transportation or lodging to such a player, he would count toward the total.
  • A physical examination is the only permissible reason for a team to bring a draft-eligible player to its city and/or training facility before the draft. Players cannot be put through any physicals drills or timed. They are allowed to take written tests. For example, when the Bills visit UCLA quarterback Josh Rosen in California for a workout, Rosen can throw for Bills' personnel. When Rosen comes to One Bills Drive, he can't. However, players who attend college or whose hometown is in the same metropolitan area can be timed and otherwise put through drills.

Oh, very interesting! 

So for Rosen, we know he can throw, we want to have team physicians examine him and have him talk to coaches and FO/maybe test him on his knowledge of NFL offense and defense.  Ditto Mayfield.

For Darnold, maybe we have more concerns about his funky throwing motion and we want to ask him to perform specific drills other than his pro day.

Interesting thanks!

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Just a note Cover1 is quoting a SI article from 2016

Who cares about SI? #FAKENEWS

I read that Chris Carter says he is going to have problems and Thurmanator 1234567 doesn't like his F-Trump hat...#alternativefacts

1 hour ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Intelligent and confident.  Two great traits for a QB. 

I hesitate to say this because I like Rosen as a potential pick and i also don't want to feed the trolls. But after reading a number of interviews with him, it seems to me that he has some real narcissism in his makeup. That's not a great trait. 

Edited by dave mcbride
  • Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, dave mcbride said:

I hesitate to say this because I like Rosen as a potential pick and i also don't want to feed the trolls. But after reading a number of interviews with him, it seems to me that he has some real narcissism in his makeup. That's not a great trait. 

I like his self-assuredness.

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

All of the best QB's have that. It's called confidence

36 minutes ago, kdiggz said:

All of the best QB's have that. It's called confidence

I'm not even talking about the football stuff - I'm talking about his seeming belief that his essentially banal views on religion, society, etc. are worthy of being considered serious and of public import. They aren't. Honestly, he doesn't seem particularly well educated or curious to me.  That's ok for a football player, of course, but he really should stop laying it on so thick. Incidentally, he lies above (shades of Trump!) to make himself look better. He very much wanted to go to Stanford but the coach didn't want him. UCLA was definitely not his first choice.

I'd still take him in a heartbeat. 

Edited by dave mcbride

1 minute ago, dave mcbride said:

I'm not even talking about the football stuff - I'm talking about his seeming belief that his essentially banal views on religion, society, etc. are worthy of being considered serious and of public import. They aren't. Honestly, he doesn't seem particularly well educated or curious to me.  That's ok for a football player, of course, but he really should stop laying it on so thick. Incidentally, he lies above (shades of Trump!) to make himself look better. He very much wanted to go to Stanford but the coach didn't want him. UCLA was definitely not his first choice.

It's a F'n INTERVIEW, man.   Like a reporter asking him what his views are on religeon, society, etc.    And then remind me how many 20-year old kids get to be interviewd by SI.    

smh...

16 minutes ago, Lurker said:

It's a F'n INTERVIEW, man.   Like a reporter asking him what his views are on religeon, society, etc.    And then remind me how many 20-year old kids get to be interviewd by SI.    

smh...

I'd agree with you if it was one interview. But it's not. There are now a whole raft of such interviews. Again, on balance I like him (recognizing that no one is perfect) and would be thrilled to get him.

Edited by dave mcbride

On 4/15/2018 at 11:16 AM, dave mcbride said:

Maybe it's just the population I know - it's pretty common in slightly nerdy/geeky kids, especially the boys, to take themselves and their views too seriously.  Most of them grow out of it by their mid-twenties.  Some of them don't and join Red Pill Reddit.

And maybe I'm just a touch sensitive here, Dave, but I think folks should be a bit more careful about tossing around conclusions like "he lies".  In the full article (which took me 5 seconds to look up) this is what Rosen says about Stanford.  There is no lying above.  He knew the summer before his Jr year that Stanford wasn't going to take him, he admits he was devastated, and he's talking about UCLA as his choice of the schools he looked at after Stanford didn't take him:

"Four years earlier, on his visit to Bosco, Rosen had asked the coaches and academic officials if coming out of their school he'd be able to get into Stanford. Growing up the son of Penn and Princeton graduates, Rosen saw Stanford as a football Ivy. He attended a camp in Palo Alto the summer before his junior year but returned without a scholarship offer, heartbroken. Rosen recalls that he didn't click with the mild-mannered Cardinal coach David Shaw, who appeared put off by questions about the depth chart. Shaw says the Cardinal coaches simply decided to not take a quarterback in that class because of roster numbers.

Rosen returned to Bosco devastated but now calls the snub "probably the best thing that ever happened to me," he says. "I'm not Stanford, and I would have hated it. It was good for me because it killed my ego a little bit." "

Edited by Hapless Bills Fan
  • Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Maybe it's just the population I know - it's pretty common in slightly nerdy/geeky kids, especially the boys, to take themselves and their views too seriously.  Most of them grow out of it by their mid-twenties.  Some of them don't and join Red Pill Reddit.

And maybe I'm just a touch sensitive here, Dave, but I think folks should be a bit more careful about tossing around conclusions like "he lies".  In the full article (which took me 5 seconds to look up) this is what Rosen says about Stanford.  There is no lying above.  He knew the summer before his Jr year that Stanford wasn't going to take him, he admits he was devastated, and he's talking about UCLA as his choice of the schools he looked at after Stanford didn't take him:

"Four years earlier, on his visit to Bosco, Rosen had asked the coaches and academic officials if coming out of their school he'd be able to get into Stanford. Growing up the son of Penn and Princeton graduates, Rosen saw Stanford as a football Ivy. He attended a camp in Palo Alto the summer before his junior year but returned without a scholarship offer, heartbroken. Rosen recalls that he didn't click with the mild-mannered Cardinal coach David Shaw, who appeared put off by questions about the depth chart. Shaw says the Cardinal coaches simply decided to not take a quarterback in that class because of roster numbers.

Rosen returned to Bosco devastated but now calls the snub "probably the best thing that ever happened to me," he says. "I'm not Stanford, and I would have hated it. It was good for me because it killed my ego a little bit." "

I guess people would be happier if he wrote "Stanford" on a list, because that is so edgy and shows grit. 

• Haha (+1) 1

• 2 weeks later...

Pegula: Hey Josh, welcome to Buffalo! !@#$ trump, amirite?

Rosen: Well, sir, I was young then and I regret that decision. I have really matured since then and...

Pegula: Awe come on, !@#$ trump! I called New Era and had a !@#$ Trump hat with a standing buffalo made for you, and only you. Did you know my daughter plays professional tennis? 

Rosen: Yes sir. I mean, why?

Pegula: Why what?

Rosen: Just, why? I need to know why she plays tennis. And why you made me a hat. 

Pegula: Do you like yachts?

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 3