Coach McD - “We are not as far along as people may think”

The money quote that gives you hope we have finally found the right guy who can look at the situation, analyze the numbers and not just rest his ego on bottom line results.

in someways when you say “we aren’t as good as you think we are” he is basically saying yeah we are 9-7 WC team but in several key stats we were worse in 2017 than we were in 2026 and the WC is largelt based on a missed call on a Matt Ryan fumble, a missed Adam Vineteri FG, and Andy Dalton.

so do not expect that we are moving toward our window.  In fact this quote leans toward preparing the fans for things to go slowly in season 2 and perhaps even backwards record wise (should it be with a rookie QB)

Either way...recognizing the limitations and allowing that to influence your decisions is sound.

sigh of relief!

Edited by RalphWilson'sNewWar
  • Like (+1) 6

6 minutes ago, RalphWilson'sNewWar said:

That is the quote.  The money quote that gives you hope we have finally found the right guy who can look at the situation, analyze the numbers and not just rest his ego on bottom line results.

in someways when you say “we aren’t as good as you think we are” he is basically saying yeah we are 9-7 WC team but in school me key stats we were worse in 2017 than we were in 2026 and the WC is largelt based on a missed call on a Matt Ryan fumble, a missed Adam Vineteri FG, and Andy Dalton.

so do not expect that we are moving toward our window.  In fact this quote leans toward preparing the fans for things to go slowly in season 2 and perhaps even backwards record wise (should it be with a rookie QB)

Either way...recognizing the limitations and allowing that to influence your decisions is sound.

sigh of relief!

a relief that we may go backwards? Not for me. You are supposed to build on your previous season...not go backwards

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, RalphWilson'sNewWar said:

The money quote that gives you hope we have finally found the right guy who can look at the situation, analyze the numbers and not just rest his ego on bottom line results.

in someways when you say “we aren’t as good as you think we are” he is basically saying yeah we are 9-7 WC team but in several key stats we were worse in 2017 than we were in 2026 and the WC is largelt based on a missed call on a Matt Ryan fumble, a missed Adam Vineteri FG, and Andy Dalton.

sigh of relief!

Whaley seemed to always overrate his roster and make moves to get over the hump. McBeane seems to have a plan and blueprint to build a roster. The Bills were very fortunate to make the playoffs. At best they were a middle of a road team. I'm on board with this regime's multi-year plan to build a more sustainable roster. In the long run strategic thinking is better than short term tactical thinking. Without a doubt a thoughtful organization is better than a scrambling organization. 

• Like (+1) 5

agree, they're not. Dline needs to be bolstered. Oline, mainly a center and definitely need the most important position filled with a competent QB.

hopefully they meet most of those needs this off season, especially the QB position?

Edited by DaBillsFanSince1973
  • Like (+1) 3

3 minutes ago, JohnC said:

Whaley seemed to always overrate his roster and make moves to get over the hump. McBeane seems to have a plan and blueprint to build a roster. The Bills were very fortunate to make the playoffs. At best they were a middle of a road team. I'm on board with this regime's multi-year plan to build a more sustainable roster. In the long run strategic thinking is better than short term tactical thinking. Without a doubt a thoughtful organization is better than a scrambling organization. 

Very true.  A middle of the road team exactly. That benefited from several breaks which literally swung games.

i don’t want to see the Bills be like the 10-6 Jets who became the next season fell off the cliff or the Dolphins who in ‘16 were the WC and in ‘17 fell off cliff.

18 minutes ago, RalphWilson'sNewWar said:

sigh of relief!

Is there ANYTHING I can do to convince you to give me a ride in your time machine? Pretty please?? I just think that d be SSSSOOOOO cool!!:)

12 minutes ago, nucci said:

a relief that we may go backwards? Not for me. You are supposed to build on your previous season...not go backwards

That's how I feel too.  No more going backwards.  We need to get better each and every year.  We've all suffered enough.

9 minutes ago, JohnC said:

Agree.  There were certainly positive signs last year, particularly the way they prepared, the competitiveness, the team first attitude, etc.  I liked the way the defense played down the stretch, buckling down and getting the Bills in the playoffs. They still have a long way to go to consistently compete with the best.  He has the program established and they now need to build a better roster, and this will take some time, but I am confident he will have them competitive along the way.

Edited by MDFan

He's 100% correct in that there are people out there that expect, after a playoff season, for the Bills to be a Super Bowl contender. This team has a lot of holes to fill and remains a team that went on a horrible 4 game downturn mid-season and had horseshoes galore to make the playoffs. However, he may not be insinuating to expect a digression in 18/19, but just a reality check for those with meteoric expectations. With improved play calling on offense alone, the Bills assuredly would not have needed those horseshoes to break the drought. 

• Like (+1) 1

Then the whole mindset of winning now and winning later was just happy talk.  (EDIT: They) did "win now" by going 9-7 last season, but it sounds as though McD wants to set the bar low and hope to surpass those expectations.

There's no doubt Whaley left this team in a massive whole. A top heavy and aging roster with no real answer at QB among other things. That said, the old expectation is it took 3-4 years to rebuild is garbage. McD may not be saying that here, but going 6-10, 7-9 in 2018 ain't getting the job done. 

Edited by BillsVet

I appreciate his honesty in regards to the team evaluation. I don't read anything into it other than the team needs to drastically improve in a number of areas. It's not earth shattering and it's not revelatory other than to indicate he's willing to admit deficiencies despite a modicum of recent success. Well done Coach, now you and Beane go assemble the team we deserve and have long pined for since the greatest days of the Buffalo Bills football era! Go Bills! 

• Thank you (+1) 2