Bills last in league in snaps by home grown talent in 2017

Logic

This was very interesting to me. It told me three things:

1.) The Bills need to build through the draft and do it well the next few years, as they've done an awful job at it of late. (This was obvious any way, right?)
2.) It's downright amazing that the Bills made the playoffs last year with the band-aided together roster they fielded. 
3.) Even if you DO draft well and your homegrown talent gets a lot of snaps, it's no guarantee of success. Cincinnatti, Cleveland, Dallas, and Green Bay missed the playoffs, despite being in the top 6.

Not surprised by this. I recently commented on a Doug Whaley post that he actually drafted pretty decently until 2016 and that last years roster was buoyed by vets/2017 draft class big time.

Here is the list of starting caliber players we drafted (2012 on) that are gone:

Sammy Watkins, Robert Woods, Marquise Goodwin, Nigel Bradham, Ross Cockrell, Kiko Alosno (traded for Shady so wash), Ronald Darby, Reggie Ragland, Stephon Gilmore, and if you reach back one year further Marcell Dareus also.

Obviously you cannot pay all of them, but we reshuffled the deck for a 3rd head coaches scheme again and lost talent. Now it worked out a lot better I like McD a ton, but Rex is a direct reason why Bradham isn't here and Ragland was drafted which shows how much changing coaches impacts your lineup especially with how much Bradham could be used now. By the way the 2016 draft is case and point what happens when you miss big time on your picks only Adolphus Washington and Shaq Lawson are even left on the roster.

So yea the Bills have work to do but the positives are the 2017 draft went incredibly well with White, Dawkins, & Milano as a strong base and they have a lot of picks this year even if they trade for a QB to add more depth.

Edited by corta765
  • Like (+1) 2

I think (though I don't know for sure, just speculating) this is partly skewered, because McDermott and Beane went to pretty extreme lengths it seemed, to purge the roster of Whaley players...I wonder where the Bills would have ranked in 2015, when it became Rex Ryans' show

Edited by Buftex

6 minutes ago, Buftex said:

I think (though I don't know for sure, just speculating) this is partly skewered, because McDermott and Beane went to pretty extreme lengths it seemed, to purge the roster of Whaley players...I wonder where the Bills would have ranked in 2016.

2015 is the better example offense started Woods, Watkins, Glenn, Wood, and J. Miller on opening day 5 of 11 all drafted by the Bills. Defense started Dareus, Bradham, P Brown, Gilmore, Darby, McKelvin, and A Williams on opening day 7 of 11 drafted by Bills. Rex in year 1 didn't lose much from the Bills D or O. After that he purged a lot/Whaley's contract extensions hit the team hard. The 2015 Bills were without a doubt the most talented team they've had since 1999 IMO performance just never matched thanks to Rex.

Edited by corta765

It’s interesting but I’m not sure that it means anything. What would be interesting, to corta’s point is how snaps rank across the league by team that drafted guys (or originally signed them as UFAs)? Basically, which front offices produced the most snaps in 2017?  

I suppose it would be altered some by a team like Cleveland that has selected more players. It would still be interesting to see.

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, corta765 said:

2015 is the better example offense started Woods, Watkins, Glenn, Wood, and J. Miller on opening day 5 of 11 all drafted by the Bills. Defense started Dareus, Bradham, P Brown, Gilmore, Darby, McKelvin, and A Williams on opening day 7 of 11 drafted by Bills. Rex in year 1 didn't lose much from the Bills D or O. After that he purged a lot/Whaley's contract extensions hit the team hard. The 2015 Bills were without a doubt the most talented team they've had since 1999 IMO performance just never matched thanks to Rex.

Yes, I changed my comment to 2015, for the reasons you mention.  Personally, I think Whaley was a good drafter. I thnk, had Marrone not left when he did, the "drought" would have ended a few years earlier.  Rex Ryan was the de-facto GM...

Yeah, this is not surprising considering we are on our 3rd head coach in just 4 seasons (each guy wanting his own players/changing schemes, etc.). 

It is pretty sad actually, that (not including interim HCs Fewell and Lynn), since 2000, we are on our 8th head coach in 18 seasons. That averages to 2.25 years per coach. And in that same time (since John Butler moved on in 2000), we have had 6 GMs (2 at least that weren't even qualified for the job). That's 3 years per GM on average. When you are changing your coach every two years and your GM every 3 years, on average, you can't hope to ever build anything.

Let's hope McDermott/Beane stick around for a while!

Edited by folz
  • Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Fadingpain said:

This isn't a surprise; we've been terrible at retaining drafted talent.

This is why I don't mind giving away the farm for a top QB prospect. 

We give away all our draft picks anyway, while never getting the QB in return for them!

Yep.

When they finally made the playoffs.....after 18 years of having mostly mid-to-high first round picks....and drafting many pro-bowlers along the way........ they had only one of their own orginal first rounders on the field.........the most recent one......Tre White.:lol:

5 hours ago, Logic said:

1.) The Bills need to build through the draft and do it well the next few years, as they've done an awful job at it of late. (This was obvious any way, right?)
2.) It's downright amazing that the Bills made the playoffs last year with the band-aided together roster they fielded. 
3.) Even if you DO draft well and your homegrown talent gets a lot of snaps, it's no guarantee of success. Cincinnatti, Cleveland, Dallas, and Green Bay missed the playoffs, despite being in the top 6.

In one offseason we released, traded or didn’t resign a solid 4 years of 1st/2nd round draft picks

sammy (x2), dareus, ej, Gilmore 

kujo, Darby, Ragland, woods, aaron Williams 

I’m not arguing you keep all of them but it’s a truly astonishing volume when put into context and it’s not all busts by any means 

This is so stupid...

Where have some of yall been this year? McBeane replaced 1/3 of the roster, and some of you guys are acting like this is a suprise?

This is like discovering the sky's blue color and then having the people around you act amazed. 

I mean, I'm sick and peeing out of my butt, right now... I'm going to leave this thread and enjoy peeing out of my butt. 

Edited by Paulus

6 hours ago, Logic said:

6 words:

Doug Whaley is and was awful.