Marcus Peters to Rams - '18 4th & 19 2nd round picks

Reed83HOF

Adam SchefterVerified account @AdamSchefter
FollowingFollowing @AdamSchefter
Chiefs are expected to trade CB Marcus Peters to the Los Angeles Rams, sources tell ESPN. Teams are in final stages of talks and barring an unexpected snag, the trade is expected to be agreed to as early as today.
Edited by Reed83HOF

Not really sure how the Rams plan to afford him. 

They've already got to pay Aaron Donald the richest contract for a defensive player in NFL history and find a way to keep Lamarcus Joyner, Sammy Watkins, Mark Barron, and Robert quinn. After THAT, they're going to have to pay Todd Gurley and Jared Goff. 

I just don't see where they're getting all this money.

2 minutes ago, dneveu said:

They also lost Trumaine Johnson.  Peters is probably an upgrade, but he must be a bit of a diva for them to move him on his rookie deal.

Ya think?  This is the dude who picked up a penalty flag and threw it into the stands then walked back to the locker room because he erroneously assumed he was ejected.

They can tag watkins if they want... then the first priority will be donald.  Who will want more money than Suh, and likely won't play under a 5th year option if he can prevent it.  Not paying him will just result in more headaches down the line and rough negotiations.  

The 2nd priority becomes extending peters/gurley.  Peters will want to be the highest paid CB in the NFL.  Ditto for Gurley wanting to be the highest paid RB in the NFL in 2019.  Gurley may also not want to play under a 5th year option, as he plays the position where players seem to be hurt the most.

Then you have Watkins, who i'm not sure will sign there in 2018 unless he's tagged.  He knows he can go to SF or something and be the #1 and get like 90 catches (assuming he's healthy).  Could be a tag/trade candidate so that they can recoup some 2018 draft capital.

They have the cap room to make it work, but Donald already held out once, so he's very likely to do it again.  If Peters is being traded on his rookie contract as a 2x All-pro corner, then I assume he's also likely to hold out of his 5th year option.  

After all this, you have the problem of having the highest paid DT, CB, and RB in the NFL.  And a QB who's rookie contract will be expiring.  Will be interesting to see what they do.

I have a feeling the Rams could be trading a player with the picks. The other teams who were trying to get him, Browns and niners, have more draft capital that the Rams. And that is also what put the Redskins over the top on the Alex Smith deal. Just a hunch. 

Edited by YoloinOhio

Bucky BrooksVerified account @BuckyBrooks 2m2 minutes ago
One more point on #Chiefs Peters.. Vet DB coach told me when he was coming out that you need a strong-willed coach to get the most out of a strong personality like Peters..."It takes a wolf to coach a wolf" #LARams W.Phillips has no problems w/those kinds of players.(See A.Talib)
Ian RapoportVerified account @RapSheet 25s26 seconds ago
At one point, the #Chiefs were pushing to trade for DE Robert Quinn, along with a draft pick. But sounds like now it’ll be just draft picks going over to KC for Marcus Peters.

What are the Rams doing?? They have $40 million in cap space, about half of which will go to Aaron Donald. They have multiple pending free agents who were starters last year. They only have 2 picks in the first 100 this year. What could they possibly give up for Peters without sacrificing the future of the team?

1 minute ago, HappyDays said:

What are the Rams doing?? They have $40 million in cap space, about half of which will go to Aaron Donald. They have multiple pending free agents who were starters last year. They only have 2 picks in the first 100 this year. What could they possibly give up for Peters without sacrificing the future of the team?

Donald is on the final year of his rookie deal.  They can wait to extend him.

1 minute ago, HappyDays said:

I love the scheme fit of Peters with Wade Phillips. The player himself makes sense. But les Snead often appears to me to fly by the seat of his pants on a year to year basis with no long term vision. 

Just now, HappyDays said:

The future of the team is ....on their roster. It's stacked. This was a move to sacrifice draft capital to avoid paying Johnson and still have a legit number one corner.

If I was a Rams fan I wouldn't be excited about Les Snead handling all the upcoming decisions but this looks smart on the surface. It keeps the tag available, saves money short term, I expect them to use whatever picks they do have on oline.

2 minutes ago, Reed83HOF said:
Sal Capaccio  ?Verified account @SalSports 26s26 seconds ago
I know we debate the term and it's impact a lot, but whether you believe in it or not, this was clearly a #culture trade for the Chiefs. They feel they are better off without a fantastic young talent than with him.

Which is pretty damning since Andy Reid has happily coached a lot of knuckleheads in his career 

1 minute ago, YoloinOhio said:

Which is pretty damning since Andy Reid has happily coached a lot of knuckleheads in his career 

This is certainly true. To trade a talented player like this, tells you that there had to be so many issues that they decided they were better off without him...

Just now, aristocrat said:

i would worry more about what the chiefs were doing then the rams. the rams got a cost controlled top db in the league. 

Chiefs know they plateaued and are making changes to reshape their roster...I'm curious to see what they get for picks out of this, if it is this year or next year or a combo...

3 minutes ago, aristocrat said:

i would worry more about what the chiefs were doing then the rams. the rams got a cost controlled top db in the league. 

Chiefs are in rebuild mode with a RS rookie qb and will be moving on from guys like tamba hali, Derrick Johnson and Justin Houston 

Edited by YoloinOhio

5 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Well this just popped up...

Joe Banner Retweeted Dan Hatman

Andy Reid does not like coaching knuckleheads, and they rarely last long, even if he signs them

• Haha (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

I love the scheme fit of Peters with Wade Phillips. The player himself makes sense. But les Snead often appears to me to fly by the seat of his pants on a year to year basis with no long term vision. 

Reminds me of Doug Whaley. No question Peters is a great player, and the move allows them to tag Sammy and let Johnson walk. But they have no draft picks to fill the pipeline.

2 minutes ago, Reed83HOF said:

Well this just popped up...

Joe Banner Retweeted Dan Hatman

Andy Reid does not like coaching knuckleheads, and they rarely last long, even if he signs them

Lol. He signed Mike Vick right out of prison.  TO anyone? Chip cleaned house of Shady, Deshaun Et al. He drafted Tyreek Hill. So...

he is  just known to be a very player friendly coach 

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Haha (+1) 1

Chiefs probably understand cornerbacks dont win games for them.  And this guy, even though he can cover, cant tackle worth a darn and is a complete and utter head case.

They traded away a guy who they may have only had for another year for one or more players they will have for four.   They picked up a couple cornerbacks, he was expendable. 

2 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Reminds me of Doug Whaley. No question Peters is a great player, and the move allows them to tag Sammy and let Johnson walk. But they have no draft picks to fill the pipeline.

But they already have their franchise qb.  That was the only thing that separate Whaley from being a good GM.

and it's a good trade for both teams. Peters is a moron but getting traded might be the best thing for him.

im jealous of the talent on the Rams now.  It's funny because their GM was so awful for a lot of years. Their patience with him is paying off.

4 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Chiefs are in rebuild mode with a RS rookie qb and will be moving on from guys like tamba hali, Derrick Johnson and Justin Houston 

you'd think a 25 year old top cb would be part of the rebuild. all the other guys are older and on their way out. still waiting on what they got which should be a decent haul

3 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Lol. He signed Mike Vick right out of prison.  TO anyone? Chip cleaned house of Shady, Deshaun Et al. He drafted Tyreek Hill. So...

he is  just known to be a very player friendly coach 

You're right but I guess the difference is Peters was a moron on the field.