Baker Mayfield won’t attend NFL draft

YoloinOhio

19 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I probably wouldn’t go either. With that being said it gets uncomfortable when they go down the list to have enough guys there and then they don’t get drafted until halfway through the next day.

I wouldn't want to go unless I was concerned universally a Top 10 guy where at least I knew I wouldn't fall out of the first round. Although in general I would rather be with family and friends rather then the draft anyway.

1 hour ago, WhitewalkerInPhilly said:

I see what you did there :P

I honestly felt bad for him. At the time, he was considered a lock for the first round, and they kept cutting back to him. And of course, over the course of many hours, as you anxiously wait about your future, you don't feel great.

Now, I loved pounding him as a Jet, but until he got taken, I couldn't hate on him too much. It's just a sad monkey's paw wish I got when I hoped EJ would be better than him.

I was surprised he attended as it was possible he could slip into the 2nd.

2013 has to be in the running for the worst QB draft class of all time.  EJ, Geno, Glennon, Barkley, Nassib, Tyler Wilson, and Landry Jones.

Of course that's the year we decide to draft a QB in the 1st round.

• 1 month later...
1 minute ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Not sure why its "interesting" as some are labeling it...I would stay home myself to be around the friends and family who supported me all the way to that point in my life too.  

I get that. But its like being nominated for a Grammy, or Emmy, or whatever...and not attending. It's as much to do with accomplishment and recognition as it is a future job

On 2/20/2018 at 12:29 PM, Alphadawg7 said:

Totally agree with everything you said.  I would think AZ would be interested in Cousins too, but I don't know they have enough Cap flexibility to compete with a team like Jets for instance (or even us for that matter as its still possible Bills explore it).  I would think Cousins would prefer a team like Denver or AZ, especially with less media garbage to deal with, but also better overall rosters than where the Jets are starting with.  However, if the reports are true about Jets going all in on Cousins, nobody is probably going to be able to match, or even want to, the type of deal Jets can/will offer.

I can definitely see AZ going after a good FA QB to be at the very least a bridge while a young guy sits like you said.  All the guys you mentioned also make sense.  And if they do get one they are pretty confident in, that might take a first round QB off the board all together for AZ and instead look to add more around the team to make a win now push.  

But since FA hasn't happened yet nor has any off season workouts or combine, AZ is the place I still lightly pencil in Lamar.  Like you, I would be great with us staying put and taking him at 21 and would prefer it over Mason personally.  I wouldn't hate drafting Mason, but I think Lamar has a higher upside.  Here is my actual preference of the QB's I want in order in this draft (keep in mind, this can and will change as we go through combines and workouts)

1. Baker
  2. Rosen
  3. Darnold
  4. Lamar (but I have him REAL close to Darnold who I have used to love but lost a lot of allure with him this season)
  5. Allen
  6. Mason

I think Baker is the best QB prospect in this draft personally.  I also used to love Darnold, but man it was maddening watching him every week.  I found myself always trying to make excuses to validate so many of his mistakes every week.  I am quite intrigued by Lamar and think he is a better passer than he is given credit for.  But his offseason will either move him up my list or down...right now I have him at 4 closely behind Darnold.  

All that being said, I would excited to get any of these guys, some more than others.  I wouldn't hate picking any of them in terms of them as a prospect.  If we make a big trade up, its possible I won't like what we give up if we over pay, but I will still be excited about the QB prospect none the less.

Let me update my list from this above post I made back in February now that we have gone through combine and workouts.

1. Baker (unchanged)
  2. Darnold (up 1)
  3. Allen (biggest gain of 2 spots)
  4. Lamar (same)
  5. Rosen (biggest drop of 3 spots...Bradford body meets Cutler personality has me concerned)
  6. Mason (same)

5 minutes ago, kdiggz said:

^Haha Rosen personality concerns. Are you dating him or do you need a QB?

You want a QB who will be a leader, rally the troops, get the best out of the people around him.  His Cutler-esque likability is a concern.  Doesnt mean he will be just like him, but he's made of glass and doesnt seem very likable even by his coach.  Not exactly someone that screams trade the farm for me.  

I will back him and be excited about him or any QB we land, but he's down on my list of preference for those 2 reasons.  And when you are dealing with 5 closely graded prospects, those things factor in.  

4 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

And he is nothing like Cutler. 

Your right, Cutler is richer and slightly more durable.  lol

Edited by Alphadawg7

Josh is far brighter than Jay. He is clever. I am totally in favour of clever people making their opinions known. The world has enough stupid people. 

Rosen is the best Quarterback in the class. The concusions - fine... that's a concern but beyond that the rest is all noise. 

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Let me update my list from this above post I made back in February now that we have gone through combine and workouts.

1. Baker (unchanged)
  2. Darnold (up 1)
  3. Allen (biggest gain of 2 spots)
  4. Lamar (same)
  5. Rosen (biggest drop of 3 spots...Bradford body meets Cutler personality has me concerned)
  6. Mason (same)

Sssoooo.... I although i dont agree, I'll pick my battles and leave the Bradford body alone... but Cutler? 

Why knock someone for a perception that perhaps you've over exaggerated? 

I changed my mind on the Bradford thing...

Another unfair perception.  We dont personally know this kid. The 2 reasons you've knocked him are just kinda sterotypical. I mean if that's the road ya wanna go - feel free. It just seems a bit dismissive. Then again, you are essentially saying his knee will become concussed and he will need to wear a head brace...

4 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Josh is far brighter than Jay. He is clever. I am totally in favour of clever people making their opinions known. The world has enough stupid people. 

Rosen is the best Quarterback in the class. The concusions - fine... that's a concern but beyond that the rest is all noise. 

I like his play, but I hate to bet the farm with the concussion history. But I want him. But he scares me everytime he goes to the ground. But he throws a great......yeah, I’m a mess here. Glad it’s not my decision and hope people smarter than me get it right. 

On 2/19/2018 at 8:26 PM, whatdrought said:

It makes sense... I've thought for a while now that bringing 20 of those guys there is silly. Should be more business and less entertainment. If I'm a guy like Mayfield, I don't want the camera looking at me as pick after pick passes without my name being called (not to say that will happen to him, but he is one who could surprising fall, and if he does then its all going to be about his "character issues"). 

The NFL is an entertainment enterprise. 

6 minutes ago, gobills1212 said:

Sssoooo.... I although i dont agree, I'll pick my battles and leave the Bradford body alone... but Cutler? 

Why knock someone for a perception that perhaps you've over exaggerated? 

I changed my mind on the Bradford thing...

Another unfair perception.  We dont personally know this kid. The 2 reasons you've knocked him are just kinda sterotypical. I mean if that's the road ya wanna go - feel free. It just seems a bit dismissive. Then again, you are essentially saying his knee will become concussed and he will need to wear a head brace...

I live in LA, lots of stuff here about how he rubs people the wrong way to often.  Doesnt mean its true, but when I am mortgaging the future to go up and trade to get a QB, and I have several to choose from, then nit picking concerns matter.  

I already said I wont hate landing him,  but I don't care what anyones opinion of this guy or that guy is, the facts are that Baker, Darnold, Allen, and Rosen are all very closely graded and likely all early picks.  So you need to find ways to separate them and durability and personality question marks make me less comfortable in a very expensive trade up.  Kid could be the next great thing, and I will 100% back him if we draft him...but going into the draft, he is down now on my preferred targets.

And some of you are taking the Bradford and Cutler references waaaaay to literally.  Its not like I am saying he has the same injuries as Bradford.  I am simply pointing out, that durability and staying on the field in general is a concern.  Then the Cutler reference is simply stems from the concerns personality wise where Cutler seems to rub people wrong his whole career.  Right now, even Rosen's coach wouldn't take him #1 overall over Darnold, and I don't care what back pedaling Mora is trying to do to change that, he knows exactly what he said and that it would be damaging to Josh ahead of the draft.  Yet he said it anyway, then doubled down to explain why he said it.  

So once again, I have moved him down and the big winner was Allen who has impressed in combine and workouts.  But my top guy still hasn't changed, and thats Baker.  Darnold has moved back up a spot with his strong offseason too.

• Thank you (+1) 1