Trade down...move 21 or 22

LabattBlue

If the Bills have a group of around 8 players they like in the last 1/3 of the first round, would you move 21 or 22, and trade down to somewhere late in the first round(27-30), and also pick up a 3rd from that team.

PS This is assuming the Bills don't make a bold move and jump up to grab Mayfield.

Edited by LabattBlue
  • Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, LabattBlue said:

If the Bills have a group of around 8 players they like in the last 1/3 of the first round, would you move 21 or 22, and trade down to somewhere late in the first round(27-30), and also pick up a 3rd from that team.

PS This is assuming the Bills don't make a bold move and jump up to grab Mayfield.

I think I would if they could also pick up a 2nd

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, LabattBlue said:

I would even move as far back as #40 in the the 2nd round

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, John from Hemet said:

We have enough fricken picks

Were gonna pass on a DT like Vea if he is there?

I didn't say trade both picks.  I said move one.  If you look at the holes on this team, and knowing that you don't hit on every pick, I'm all in favor of picking up an extra 3 to move down a few spots in the first round...assuming their is a group of players the Bills have graded close to the same, and you know one of those 6-8 guys will still be there in a trade down. 

11 minutes ago, John from Hemet said:

We have enough fricken picks

Were gonna pass on a DT like Vea if he is there?

...so does your crystal ball yet show who is this year's "Brady Quinn" stuck in the Green Room?.....NOBODY has a clue what will happen with the first 12 to 15 slots and the effects on OBD's Big Board..........probably why 32 guys are HIGHLY paid to do the pickin' and we're stuck her postin'.......

This team definitely needs to reload due to the age of our roster and to replace losses like Wood.  The Bills need to follow the model Pitts used to get Big Ben of build a TEAM first and then get your franchise QB to make your team an SB winner.  Trading up to give away our reload the TEAM option would be like putting a race car engine in a VW bug.  To trade up for some alleged franchise QB in the draft likely starts this team on a new miss the playoffs streak.

12 minutes ago, KingRex said:

This team definitely needs to reload due to the age of our roster and to replace losses like Wood.  The Bills need to follow the model Pitts used to get Big Ben of build a TEAM first and then get your franchise QB to make your team an SB winner.  Trading up to give away our reload the TEAM option would be like putting a race car engine in a VW bug.  To trade up for some alleged franchise QB in the draft likely starts this team on a new miss the playoffs streak.

....if I read correctly, Bflo cap space is 80 something mil in 2019......first, I like this McBeane guy.......passed on a paying job to take an UNPAID intern position in 1998 to learn his craft, a ground up grass roots guy.....he has also assembled a formidable staff of NFL personnel execs paid out of Pegula's checkbook......must be respected if they wanted to work for him (detractors will say no one else would hire them I'm sure)....Bflo has NOT had this type of draft capital in YEARS.....again just my hunch, but McBeane & company play this draft capital wisely as well as FA dollars.....imagine IF they hit a home run in both categories for 2018 (I'd take a three bagger) and have similar success in 2019, this club could be well set for the long term and then some...

Edited by OldTimeAFLGuy
  • Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, KingRex said:

I wouldn't be at all surprised if we did miss the playoffs this coming year. There's still a lot of work to be done to get this team right, and it wasn't helped by Wood getting injured, and being forced into an eventual retirement.

Part of the need, is for a legitimate passing QB. Tyrod can get you to the playoffs, but that's about it, and his style of QB play, hampers the development of your WRs. Because he don't throw to 'em. We get a guy like Matthews in trade, who put up big numbers for the Eagles the previous year, who disappears without a trace, with Tyrod not throwing to him - and that was before he got injured.

There will be good opportunities to get a decent QB prospect, without giving up the earth in picks, because this draft has more decent QB prospects than we've seen in a fair few years.

44 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

This isn’t a good draft class. I would rather go up in this particular draft. Quality over quantity 

By all accounts, this is as deep a class as any for what we need..ala Dt, Rb,and even Lb. Not sure what position groups you see as not a good class....

• Like (+1) 2

Despite the wishes of some around here, we didn't tank this year. We're not going to tank next year, either.

In this draft, we have more draft capital than I can ever remember having. There are at least seven teams ahead of us in the draft who need a QB. If there was a year to trade up for a QB, this is it. Otherwise, do we spend the the next decade rolling the dice on the likes of EJ Manuel, or Nate Peterman hoping for a "diamond in the rough?" I hope not. 

7 minutes ago, Buddo said:

I wouldn't be at all surprised if we did miss the playoffs this coming year. There's still a lot of work to be done to get this team right, and it wasn't helped by Wood getting injured, and being forced into an eventual retirement.

Part of the need, is for a legitimate passing QB. Tyrod can get you to the playoffs, but that's about it, and his style of QB play, hampers the development of your WRs. Because he don't throw to 'em. We get a guy like Matthews in trade, who put up big numbers for the Eagles the previous year, who disappears without a trace, with Tyrod not throwing to him - and that was before he got injured.

There will be good opportunities to get a decent QB prospect, without giving up the earth in picks, because this draft has more decent QB prospects than we've seen in a fair few years.

....c'mon bud, you're a HELLUVA lot smarter and more astute than that..........absolutely there is a lot of work to do, but I think Beane & his gang are the right guys to produce.....think about the TBD "panic" when the pre-season strength of schedule rankings come out.....do "we're screwed....doomed....6-10, 5-11, see your next year" etc sound familiar?......injuries, cuts, trades, etc are clearly in whose crystal bawls?......how many teams did we beat last year that the majority (JUST GUESSING) had penciled in as "L's" initially?.....two back to back draft/FA home runs (hell, I'd take three baggers) set this club up nicely for the long term WITHOUT needing to miss the playoffs in 2018....stay tuned...........

1 hour ago, Kirby Jackson said:

This isn’t a good draft class. I would rather go up in this particular draft. Quality over quantity 

Maybe so. I think if we sit tight we can get some really good players at 21-22 (Taven Bryan, Vita Vea, Derrius Guice, Mason Rudolph, Lamar Jackson, Josh Allen, Christian Kirk, Courtland Sutton and Roquan Smith)

The 2nd round and beyond is outside of my knowledge but at 21 and 22 there should be some really good players available.

44 minutes ago, BuffAlone said:

By all accounts, this is as deep a class as any for what we need..ala Dt, Rb,and even Lb. Not sure what position groups you see as not a good class....

This is a bad class for OL, WR, Edge (all of which are needs). You can get your DT, RB and a LB without an issue with the picks that we have. Here’s an example:

- Trade 21,22, 53 and next year’s 2 for a top 5 pick. Draft QB

- Take Malik Jefferson at 56

- Package 3rd & a 5th to move up to take Tim Settle

- Draft Mark Walton in the 4th

- Draft DJ Chark with your other 5th

Something like that would be a better use of picks than adding more top 100 picks. They need to go up to get QB this year.

• Like (+1) 2

25 minutes ago, Rocky Landing said:

Despite the wishes of some around here, we didn't tank this year. We're not going to tank next year, either.

In this draft, we have more draft capital than I can ever remember having. There are at least seven teams ahead of us in the draft who need a QB. If there was a year to trade up for a QB, this is it. Otherwise, do we spend the the next decade rolling the dice on the likes of EJ Manuel, or Nate Peterman hoping for a "diamond in the rough?" I hope not. 

I think trading away resources we need to use to acquire 4 early draftees to move up to get a hoped for franchise QB would be one of the quickest ways to tank this season.

Remember, the Colts used a first day pick to get a franchise QB in the form of Peyton Manning.  Great pick that worked out EVENTUALLY.  however, even with a stud like Peyton this rookie FRANCHISE  QB elevated their record from 3-13 up to.... 3-13.

If the Bills draft a QB like Rosen or Darnold by trading away 20 and 21 (and more likely) it would likely result in us missing the playoffs again next year (and actually likel begin a new 17 year playoffless streak if we end up with a Ryan Leaf instead of a Peyton.

Even worse, at least Indy did not have to mortgage the future in trading away picks to move up.  We on the other hand would be throwing Rosen or Donald into a line-up that badly needs to use our draft picks to reload.

Trading up to get an alleged FRANCHISE  QB seems to be tanking to this football fan.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, LabattBlue said:

I'd be all for trading down one 1st rd pick.