Trade down...move 21 or 22

LabattBlue

On 2/18/2018 at 1:26 PM, LabattBlue said:

If the Bills have a group of around 8 players they like in the last 1/3 of the first round, would you move 21 or 22, and trade down to somewhere late in the first round(27-30), and also pick up a 3rd from that team.

PS This is assuming the Bills don't make a bold move and jump up to grab Mayfield.

I was thinking about this the other day actually but slightly differently. Somebody from the top/middle of the second looking to move back into the first. Picking up their first next year, and another second this year. Heading into the 2019 draft with 2 or 3 first round picks again. It is a little Madden-esque, I will admit it, and only if the Bills think they can find similar value with another player in the 2nd, and not in love with anybody left in the 1st. 

On 2/18/2018 at 2:16 PM, KingRex said:

This team definitely needs to reload due to the age of our roster and to replace losses like Wood.  The Bills need to follow the model Pitts used to get Big Ben of build a TEAM first and then get your franchise QB to make your team an SB winner.  Trading up to give away our reload the TEAM option would be like putting a race car engine in a VW bug.  To trade up for some alleged franchise QB in the draft likely starts this team on a new miss the playoffs streak.

No, no thank you.

Been there, done that, it doesn't work.

• Like (+1) 1

On 2/18/2018 at 1:45 PM, Kirby Jackson said:

This isn’t a good draft class. I would rather go up in this particular draft. Quality over quantity 

I disagree that it isn't a good class.  Some areas have a lot of talent.  DT has a lot of talent, RB, QB,  interior OL, a lot of linebackers in the second to third round...I think this class has more talent in different areas.  It doesn't have a lot of talent in the flashy positions like WR and CB.  This is more of a trenches draft IMO.  

the more i think about it, the more i hope that we address the qb in fa. cousins is not out of the question. foles is not out of the possibility and a.j. would be a great fit and the most affordable. then if we can get a vita vea, we can trade 22 for extra picks and really kill it.

obviously foles would take one of the 1sts, but that's fine by me. we can still get vea or hurst and still have a great draft. other than gaines , there shouldn't be a high priced fa that we need to worry about. i hope we keep preston brown and most of the others will remain on one year deals. free agency is going to change this whole draft upside down.

5 minutes ago, Buffalo30 said:

I disagree that it isn't a good class.  Some areas have a lot of talent.  DT has a lot of talent, RB, QB,  interior OL, a lot of linebackers in the second to third round...I think this class has more talent in different areas.  It doesn't have a lot of talent in the flashy positions like WR and CB.  This is more of a trenches draft IMO.  

No edge talent either though. Trading up should still allow you to get 2 starters in the front 7 and a #2 RB.

15 hours ago, Rocky Landing said:

My point is that we have enough draft capital to trade up this year into the top 5 without mortgaging the future the way we did for Watson. We're not likely to have that opportunity in 2019.

The wealth in draft picks isn’t that great.  They *might* get to the top 5 with both firsts and both seconds.  Price is too steep for my tastes because I don’t think that Darnold, Rosen, Mayfield, Allen are such sure things that I would be willing to give that much up.  

I am inclined to hope that Rudolph, Jackson and Allen make it out of the top 10.  If they really like one of those 3 better than the others, a trade from 21 to maybe 12 would be interesting.  If they leave round 1 without a QB, I think you will see an aggressive move up in round 2 to get a prospect like Mike White or Kyle Lauletta.

It makes sense that the plan regarding the move-down last season centered on the acquisition of the extra 2018 1st round pick and the possibility that this extra pick would provide the team with the necessary capital to move up and take a bona fide franchise QB in the draft.

However, it is unlikely that OBD really thought they would be picking in the 20's with their own pick in 2018, which makes the ability to move up THAT high much more difficult than expected.

If we assume that they do everything they can to move up to get the guy of their choice -- and rumors are that they are already working the phone lines as we speak -- and they are UNABLE to finding a willing trade partner, then I am OK with the team essentially trading one of those first rounders to move back into the 2nd round AND get an extra 1st rounder next year. Essentially they would be postponing what they planned to do in 2018 for one more year. Meanwhile, these trades are very common as teams picking in the 2nd round try to get into the first to gain that extra year of eligibility before the player hits free agency.

4 minutes ago, 2003Contenders said:

It makes sense that the plan regarding the move-down last season centered on the acquisition of the extra 2018 1st round pick and the possibility that this extra pick would provide the team with the necessary capital to move up and take a bona fide franchise QB in the draft.

However, it is unlikely that OBD really thought they would be picking in the 20's with their own pick in 2018, which makes the ability to move up THAT high much more difficult than expected.

If we assume that they do everything they can to move up to get the guy of their choice -- and rumors are that they are already working the phone lines as we speak -- and they are UNABLE to finding a willing trade partner, then I am OK with the team essentially trading one of those first rounders to move back into the 2nd round AND get an extra 1st rounder next year. Essentially they would be postponing what they planned to do in 2018 for one more year. Meanwhile, these trades are very common as teams picking in the 2nd round try to get into the first to gain that extra year of eligibility before the player hits free agency.

Agreed.  Especially if they let Taylor go, they could be picking much higher next year.

15 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

No edge talent either though. Trading up should still allow you to get 2 starters in the front 7 and a #2 RB.

The talent isn't in the flashy players this year.  It's in the trenches and the RBs and QBs.  For some reason, we are in an age where the trenches are overlooked and flashy players get all of the attention.  Gotta have the big boys up front.  Not a bad class at all IMO

Just now, joesixpack said:

Have you SEEN next year's QB class :sick:

If they don’t take a QB in the 1st, I would strongly hope that they could somehow nab Mike White or Kyle Lauletta in round 2 - likely with trade up.  Both are intriguing.  I’ve watched what I can find an White and he has talent, but it is a big step up.

Just now, OldTimer1960 said:

If they don’t take a QB in the 1st, I would strongly hope that they could somehow nab Mike White or Kyle Lauletta in round 2 - likely with trade up.  Both are intriguing.  I’ve watched what I can find an White and he has talent, but it is a big step up.

Losmania runnin' wild!

Just now, Buffalo30 said:

The talent isn't in the flashy players this year.  It's in the trenches and the RBs and QBs.  For some reason, we are in an age where the trenches are overlooked and flashy players get all of the attention.  Gotta have the big boys up front.  Not a bad class at all IMO

The trenches aren’t good though. The offensive tackles and edge guys are really weak. 

5 minutes ago, joesixpack said:

Have you SEEN next year's QB class :sick:

Totally agree here too. This is the class and the time to strike. Don’t mess around with the lesser guys. Pay the price and get a top guy.

1 minute ago, Kirby Jackson said:

The trenches aren’t good though. The offensive tackles and edge guys are really weak. 

I disagree with the tackle spot.  The tackle spot has depth in my opinion, maybe not a lot of top 10 guys but plenty in the 2nd to 3rd round area.  The edge on defense doesn't have a ton of talent but it does have potential.  The interior lines in this class is what I was talking about.  There are a plethora of guys on both sides of the ball both early and late in this class.  

6 minutes ago, joesixpack said:

Losmania runnin' wild!

So, who is the sure-fire star that they could get if they trade the majority of their draft to get someone early?

i think the best of theses prospects is at best a 50-50 prospect.  I am not enamored with trading 4 high picks to get someone who is a coin flip to be a good starter.  I would be fine with Rudolph at 21 if he gets there AND one of the 2nds on another QB prospect.

i haven’t given up on Peterman, but he is a long-shot and his presence should not dictate draft selections in any way.

Beyond Cousins, I don’t think any of the available FA QBs are long-term answers and I would not want to trade more than the Bills’ 3rd round pick (96) for Nick Foles - he isn’t the answer (IMHO).

7 minutes ago, Buffalo30 said:

I disagree with the tackle spot.  The tackle spot has depth in my opinion, maybe not a lot of top 10 guys but plenty in the 2nd to 3rd round area.  The edge on defense doesn't have a ton of talent but it does have potential.  The interior lines in this class is what I was talking about.  There are a plethora of guys on both sides of the ball both early and late in this class.  

There are good interior guys on both sides. I agree. The QBs and RBs are strong and LB is okay. In general though this is a weak draft class. The talent last year was well above the talent this year. The silver lining is that the Bills need QB, RB, DT, & LB for sure. 

1 hour ago, NastyNateSoldiers said:

I was thinking of posting who's that guy this yr. I think it can possibly be any one of the top 4 QBs . 

Rosen- because of his ego and injury history especially the concussions. 

Mayfield the off field stuff and lack of height 

Allen well because he's really just a project with great attributes. 

Darnold although i believe he's the least likey of the 4 its because of his mechanics and decision making and turnovers. 

...interesting assessment.......thanks bud.........

8 minutes ago, OldTimer1960 said:

So, who is the sure-fire star that they could get if they trade the majority of their draft to get someone early?

i think the best of theses prospects is at best a 50-50 prospect.  I am not enamored with trading 4 high picks to get someone who is a coin flip to be a good starter.  I would be fine with Rudolph at 21 if he gets there AND one of the 2nds on another QB prospect.

i haven’t given up on Peterman, but he is a long-shot and his presence should not dictate draft selections in any way.

Beyond Cousins, I don’t think any of the available FA QBs are long-term answers and I would not want to trade more than the Bills’ 3rd round pick (96) for Nick Foles - he isn’t the answer (IMHO).

Darnold, Rosen and Mayfield. In that order.