Trade down...move 21 or 22

LabattBlue

6 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

This is a bad class for OL, WR, Edge (all of which are needs). You can get your DT, RB and a LB without an issue with the picks that we have. Here’s an example:

- Trade 21,22, 53 and next year’s 2 for a top 5 pick. Draft QB

- Take Malik Jefferson at 56

- Package 3rd & a 5th to move up to take Tim Settle

- Draft Mark Walton in the 4th

- Draft DJ Chark with your other 5th

Something like that would be a better use of picks than adding more top 100 picks. They need to go up to get QB this year.

I agree with QB. Jefferson I like, but not in the first. Walton, Chark...pass! Give me Guice or Wadley and I'll take Miller or St.Brown over Chark. Both should be available in the 2nd, maybe even the 3rd

Edited by BuffAlone

8 minutes ago, BuffAlone said:

I agree with QB. Jefferson I like, but not in the first. Walton, Chark...pass! Give me Guice or Wadley and I'll take Miller or St.Brown over Chark. Both should be available in the 2nd, maybe even the 3rd

I’m not advocating necessarily for those guys. It was just an example of landing high end players while still getting a top QB. The Bills can get 3 starters (including a top QB), a #2 RB and a depth player. That’s a better strategy to me than trading down.

46 minutes ago, Teddy KGB said:

We have a lot of picks already.   No reason to trade back. 

The 2018 draft is deep in areas that the Bills have needs in.  I'm willing to give the current FO the benefit of the doubt in terms of using them wisely.  Imagine addressing OL, DL, LB, and RB and see our stats improve appreciably this fall.

2 hours ago, Rocky Landing said:

Despite the wishes of some around here, we didn't tank this year. We're not going to tank next year, either.

In this draft, we have more draft capital than I can ever remember having. There are at least seven teams ahead of us in the draft who need a QB. If there was a year to trade up for a QB, this is it. Otherwise, do we spend the the next decade rolling the dice on the likes of EJ Manuel, or Nate Peterman hoping for a "diamond in the rough?" I hope not. 

Why do you assume that if the Bills pass on the 2018 first round QBs that they won't draft one in 2019 or 2020?  Is 2018 the last year that QBs are going to be available in the NFL draft?

2 minutes ago, SoTier said:

Why do you assume that if the Bills pass on the 2018 first round QBs that they won't draft one in 2019 or 2020?  Is 2018 the last year that QBs are going to be available in the NFL draft?

You have to wonder the way some carry on about it.  I still believe that QB should be near the conclusion of a rebuild or overhaul.  I still think that the Bills are in secret leaning towards a weighted contract for Cousins that gets the bulk of the money done in 2019 and 2020.

27 minutes ago, SoTier said:

We have one of worst QB depth charts in the league.    I don’t think we can wait ANOTHER year.   

1 hour ago, Teddy KGB said:

We have one of worst QB depth charts in the league.    I don’t think we can wait ANOTHER year.   

I disagree about the Bills QB depth chart because Taylor is a serviceable starter, and the Bills easily could upgrade their backup QB with a rookie drafted after the first round in 2018 whom might turn into a serviceable starter.  Certainly drafting the wrong QB in the first round is infinitely worse than waiting a year or two to draft the right one.

20 minutes ago, SoTier said:

I disagree about the Bills QB depth chart because Taylor is a serviceable starter, and the Bills easily could upgrade their backup QB with a rookie drafted after the first round in 2018 whom might turn into a serviceable starter.  Certainly drafting the wrong QB in the first round is infinitely worse than waiting a year or two to draft the right one.

He passed for more yards than 1 QB last season.  That’s not serviceable when there’s good to elite QBs all over the league.    

Edited by Teddy KGB

7 hours ago, SoTier said:

My point is that we have enough draft capital to trade up this year into the top 5 without mortgaging the future the way we did for Watson. We're not likely to have that opportunity in 2019.

Generally, the more trades down they do, the better.

The exception is right now. They've got to get a QB. And it sure looks to me like they're going to have to trade up to do it.

But generally, yeah, trade down, get more picks.

3 hours ago, Rocky Landing said:

My point is that we have enough draft capital to trade up this year into the top 5 without mortgaging the future the way we did for Watson. We're not likely to have that opportunity in 2019.

This.

Except ... Watson? Do you mean Watkins? Or am I missing something?

But yeah, there'll be good QBs in the future. And we'll have an even smaller chance of being able to move up and get them. The best QBs, the ones who are obviously good, in those future drafts will be going very high, and unless you think we're going to be drafting first, the odds are good that the team that is drafting first will want him and if they don't we won't have enough ammo to move up to get him.

Edited by Thurman#1

6 hours ago, Rocky Landing said:

It doesn't matter how much draft capital the Bills have if the QBs available are only as good as the QBs taken in the first round between 2006 and 2012 not named Ryan, Newton, and Luck.

11 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

Generally, the more trades down they do, the better.

The exception is right now. They've got to get a QB. And it sure looks to me like they're going to have to trade up to do it.

But generally, yeah, trade down, get more picks.

This.

Except ... Watson? Do you mean Watkins? Or am I missing something?

But yeah, there'll be good QBs in the future. And we'll have an even smaller chance of being able to move up and get them. The best QBs, the ones who are obviously good, in those future drafts will be going very high, and unless you think we're going to be drafting first, the odds are good that the team that is drafting first will want him and if they don't we won't have enough ammo to move up to get him.

Yes, I meant Watkins

On 2/18/2018 at 10:26 AM, LabattBlue said:

If the Bills have a group of around 8 players they like in the last 1/3 of the first round, would you move 21 or 22, and trade down to somewhere late in the first round(27-30), and also pick up a 3rd from that team.

PS This is assuming the Bills don't make a bold move and jump up to grab Mayfield.

Yes, this is actually a pretty good and deep draft, so making a small move down and grabbing an extra 3rd or even a 2nd would be great unless there is some stud prospect that slipped to us at that pick that would be better to just take.  That extra pick could really help the OL or grab one of the talented RB's to be both the compliment and heir apparent to McCoy who is 30 this season.

For instance, if Bakery Mayfield slips to 21 I would flip out in a bad way if the Bills traded down with someone who then took Baker.  And before anyone says that wont happen, its actually possible.  If Broncos or Jets sign Cousins, then there will only be two teams definitely taking a QB in the top 10 currently, Browns and who ever doesn't sign Cousins between Broncos/Jets.  A 3rd QB would probably still go possibly where someone traded up to get a guy.  The other needy team is AZ, so they could trade up.  But Arians loves Lamar as since retiring has raved about him and called him both special and the best QB prospect in the draft.  That opinion was most likley formed while scouting with the Cardinals, so quite possible that is an opinion still shared by the team.  So they could stay where they are in the draft and probably get Lamar if they want him.  

So if Allen goes to the Browns, then Rosen and Darnold go in the top 10, Baker could keep sliding down to us if AZ prefers Lamar.  So not a crazy thought, and if that happened I would be pissed if the Bills then traded back and passed on Baker.  

So yes, I would be good with a trade down ONLY if it means we already got our QB somehow.

On 2/18/2018 at 9:14 PM, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...so does your crystal ball yet show who is this year's "Brady Quinn" stuck in the Green Room?.....NOBODY has a clue what will happen with the first 12 to 15 slots and the effects on OBD's Big Board..........probably why 32 guys are HIGHLY paid to do the pickin' and we're stuck her postin'.......

I was thinking of posting who's that guy this yr. I think it can possibly be any one of the top 4 QBs . 

Rosen- because of his ego and injury history especially the concussions. 

Mayfield the off field stuff and lack of height 

Allen well because he's really just a project with great attributes. 

Darnold although i believe he's the least likey of the 4 its because of his mechanics and decision making and turnovers. 

On 2/18/2018 at 2:16 PM, KingRex said:

This team definitely needs to reload due to the age of our roster and to replace losses like Wood.  The Bills need to follow the model Pitts used to get Big Ben of build a TEAM first and then get your franchise QB to make your team an SB winner.  Trading up to give away our reload the TEAM option would be like putting a race car engine in a VW bug.  To trade up for some alleged franchise QB in the draft likely starts this team on a new miss the playoffs streak.

i disagree . pitt drafted big ben and didn't necessarily have a loaded roster. they have drafted very well each year. as far as the race engine in the bug, i disagree again. we all knew ej was a project and didn't show much promise but yet we gave up way too much for watkins and some other moves along with it. at the time , i likened it to putting a paint job and fancy wheels on a car with engine problems.

with an avg. qb last year we could have been 10-6 or better. we have what we need to contend for the most part now, but we're missing a qb who can play the position. i myself am against trading the draft away to get one of the top 3, but would respect/ expect a decent effort at getting mayfield.

while my preference would be to get cousins ,foles or a.j. so we could kill it in the draft, if that can't happen, we gotta do something. i would rather take vea and rudolph vs. overspending, but if they package both firsts to move up, i won't complain....as long as we don't have to do anything but include a player. i wouldn't make any deal that involves next year's 1st or takes away from our 2nd and 3rd this year.

On 2/18/2018 at 2:30 PM, Buddo said:

I wouldn't be at all surprised if we did miss the playoffs this coming year. There's still a lot of work to be done to get this team right, and it wasn't helped by Wood getting injured, and being forced into an eventual retirement.

Part of the need, is for a legitimate passing QB. Tyrod can get you to the playoffs, but that's about it, and his style of QB play, hampers the development of your WRs. Because he don't throw to 'em. We get a guy like Matthews in trade, who put up big numbers for the Eagles the previous year, who disappears without a trace, with Tyrod not throwing to him - and that was before he got injured.

There will be good opportunities to get a decent QB prospect, without giving up the earth in picks, because this draft has more decent QB prospects than we've seen in a fair few years.

tyrod did not/ has not gotten us to the playoffs. andy dalton did...and tyrod was an embarrassment in the playoff game.

On 2/18/2018 at 2:12 PM, LabattBlue said:

I didn't say trade both picks.  I said move one.  If you look at the holes on this team, and knowing that you don't hit on every pick, I'm all in favor of picking up an extra 3 to move down a few spots in the first round...assuming their is a group of players the Bills have graded close to the same, and you know one of those 6-8 guys will still be there in a trade down. 

You aren't going to score a major haul for pick 21 or 22 unless you move down way past the early 2nd round. I think if you land Cousins you can then spend those draft picks differently. I think if some team falls in love with a player around pick 21 I think you can be comfortable trading down to the late 1st or early 2nd for either a 3rd and 6th round pick or a swap of a 2nd for a 4th or 5th. 

On February 18, 2018 at 1:26 PM, LabattBlue said:

If the Bills have a group of around 8 players they like in the last 1/3 of the first round, would you move 21 or 22, and trade down to somewhere late in the first round(27-30), and also pick up a 3rd from that team.

PS This is assuming the Bills don't make a bold move and jump up to grab Mayfield.

I would, but it assumes:

1) We have exhausted all options for moving way up to get a QB and we just couldn't make it happen

2) We have our eye on specific guys to get with those picks and think we can get them

3) Our scouting department knows what the hell it is doing