Benjamin Allbright - Bills Calling Around Looking for A Top 10 Pick

sven233

18 hours ago, ColoradoBills said:

This guy is a co-host on a Denver Radio Sports show.

He has already talked about Denver moving up to guarantee the 2nd best QB.

If Denver doesn't get a FA QB, Donkey fans will be livid if Elway lets other teams jump them for the 2nd best in the draft.

Denver doesnt have the Draft Captital really to out bid us. Though

5 hours ago, CajunBillsBacker said:

If it’s top 10 and not top 2, I have a feeling the target is Josh Allen. Unless of course the plan is to trade up twice.

If the Bills trade up for Josh Allen, the countdown to the next regime begins immediately. That is pretty much the only move they could make that would guarantee to me they aren't the answer.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

2 hours ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

Every unpopular move that was made last year was thought to be done so that we can get our QB this year. At this point, I would be pissed if we don’t move up.

I’m becoming more and more frustrated that the Matt Ryan “fumble” wasn’t overturned and that Paganini didn’t try to get closer for the game winning FG.

22 minutes ago, bouds said:

Think he's right.  We're going to pay a ransom to move up inside the top 10.

We are not paying a ransom so we are not moving up.  Call it a gut feeling but depending on how any grievances play out (Cousins, McCarron) I feel we are going to get Cousins on a rich deal.  I'm thinking that the Pegula's are ready to give Cousins a contract weighted very heavy for 2019 and 2020 before anybody else comes due.  Incognito and Clay will be gone by then, too.

If its going to cost the Bills 2 firsts and 2 seconds, then hard pass.  We dont need to spend that much to go get a QB, at least one is going to start to slip now that Smith was traded to Wash and Cousins is going to fill someones need at QB.

Browns will take one in top 4.  Giants and Indy are not taking a QB, but quite possible they trade down.  Cousins likely goes to either Denver, Jets, or Cardinals.  I think its the Broncos, best overall situation for both sides.

Assuming its Broncos, that just leaves the Jets there to get a QB.  Would they even trade up?  I also think its quite possible Cardinals prefer Lamar Jackson the way Arians is gushing about him and thinks he is special and best QB in the draft.  That opinion was formed while scouting these QB's as a team while the HC of the Cardinals, so quite possible and likely the team feels strongly about Lamar too.  And AZ doesn't need to likely trade up to get him.  

So I dont think the market is going to be as "in demand" as people think.  All the talk is that Allen is the guy Browns prefer.  So if someone trades to #2 to get Rosen, and Allen goes #1 or #4, that leaves just one more team in the top 10 for both Baker and Darnold.  Next threat (without a trade up) is possibly Miami with some people guessing they may grab a QB (which I dont think they will personally).  

So its a lock that 2 QB's go top 10, but its not a lock that you need to be top 10 to get one of the 4.  And its possible only 2 go top 10 if Cousins goes to either Broncos or Jets.  So I think its going to be foolish to give 4 picks in the first 2 rounds this year when we can probably let the draft unfold and move up cheaper at a lower pick than 2 and grab one of the guys who are still on the board, probably Darnold or Baker. 

Baker is my favorite pick at QB in the draft.  And its not even out of the question to see him fall to us at 21 if Cousins goes to Broncos/Jets and AZ takes Lamar.

Edited by Alphadawg7

11 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

If its going to cost the Bills 2 firsts and 2 seconds, then hard pass.  We dont need to spend that much to go get a QB, at least one is going to start to slip now that Smith was traded to Wash and Cousins is going to fill someones need at QB.

Browns will take one in top 4.  Giants and Indy are not taking a QB, but quite possible they trade down.  Cousins likely goes to either Denver, Jets, or Cardinals.  I think its the Broncos, best overall situation for both sides.

Assuming its Broncos, that just leaves the Jets there to get a QB.  Would they even trade up?  I also think its quite possible Cardinals prefer Lamar Jackson the way Arians is gushing about him and thinks he is special and best QB in the draft.  That opinion was formed while scouting these QB's as a team while the HC of the Cardinals, so quite possible and likely the team feels strongly about Lamar too.  And AZ doesn't need to likely trade up to get him.  

So I dont think the market is going to be as "in demand" as people think.  All the talk is that Allen is the guy Browns prefer.  So if someone trades to #2 to get Rosen, and Allen goes #1 or #4, that leaves just one more team in the top 10 for both Baker and Darnold.  Next threat (without a trade up) is possibly Miami with some people guessing they may grab a QB (which I dont think they will personally).  

So its a lock that 2 QB's go top 10, but its not a lock that you need to be top 10 to get one of the 4.  And its possible only 2 go top 10 if Cousins goes to either Broncos or Jets.  So I think its going to be foolish to give 4 picks in the first 2 rounds this year when we can probably let the draft unfold and move up cheaper at a lower pick than 2 and grab one of the guys who are still on the board, probably Darnold or Baker. 

Baker is my favorite pick at QB in the draft.  And its not even out of the question to see him fall to us at 21 if Cousins goes to Broncos/Jets and AZ takes Lamar.

...good assessment...my wild hunch is that McBeane plays his draft capital closely and isn't moving up......also plays his FA dollars wisely with no "all in moves" in either arena for ONE player....he has assembled a formidable personnel staff on Pegula's dollar and I think they'll shop for maximum value/body count......not realistic to expect them to plug EVERY hole in this, their 1st draft, but they CAN make a significant dent IMO......agree that Jackson seems like a good fit in 'Zona and maybe a similar styled backup ala TT fits as well....or they re-sign UFA Stanton again who has been around for 10 years for 2 years/$8 mil ($4 mil) guaranteed to mentor Jackson or let him walk....are the Browns STILL hot after McCarron now that he is a UFA as a Kizer mentor if he is their eventual guy?.....tons of questions out there....hard to envision Mayfield falling to 21 and I'm not sure if he fits the McBeane/McD/Daboll mold (whatever the hell that is going to be) for 2018......wouldn't surprise me much if Rudolph is McBeane's safe pick at 21......he may slip at which time longer shots like White, Lauletta or Falk are in play, but I doubt he waits......

• Like (+1) 1

TBH, I think the Giants would be mad to pass up the opportunity to take a QB. Too much available talent, and too high a pick, to use on another position. Doesn't matter if they see Eli having another 3 good years, either, as you are talking about positioning yourself (i.e. franchise), for a further 12 years or so of success.

If the Bills were in that same position, I would be telling the GM to get a QB, if I was the Owner, and I rather suspect that Mara will be doing the same.

Truth be told, if you are picking in the top 2, and there are 2 top QB prospects, you probably should be taking one of them regardless. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Buddo said:

TBH, I think the Giants would be mad to pass up the opportunity to take a QB. Too much available talent, and too high a pick, to use on another position. Doesn't matter if they see Eli having another 3 good years, either, as you are talking about positioning yourself (i.e. franchise), for a further 12 years or so of success.

If the Bills were in that same position, I would be telling the GM to get a QB, if I was the Owner, and I rather suspect that Mara will be doing the same.

Truth be told, if you are picking in the top 2, and there are 2 top QB prospects, you probably should be taking one of them regardless. 

...interesting.....Casserly was on NFLN saying it would "be a waste for Gettleman to pick Rosen and have him sit two years behind Eli because he is the most NFL ready QB in the draft".....

9 hours ago, purple haze said:

Cousins said winning is the most important thing he's looking for.  Won't be the Browns if that's the case.  He will make a lot of money wherever he goes. 

Don’t be surprised if the Browns are MUCH better in 2018.  They have some talent now and have picks 1, 4, 33, 35, 65.  They could add Cousins, Saquon Barkley and some trench help and be pretty good pretty quick.

3 hours ago, MAJBobby said:

Denver doesnt have the Draft Captital really to out bid us. Though

This isn’t true.  It would take the Bills’ two 1sts and both 2nd round picks to beat Denver’s 1, 2 & 3.

• Like (+1) 1

47 minutes ago, par73 said:

To ensure they get the QB they want, the Bills need to get to the two spot-- top ten won't cut it.

Then , I'm out.

Not enough of a supporting cast and they still need the bridge QB. and the Bills have NEVER developed a qb, (IMHO)

Too soon.

They should work this seasons draft to try to move up in next years draft.

Bills should still draft one for sure. But one that falls nearer to them at 21, 22.

Parley some for next season's draft and solidify the core with this years.

31 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...good assessment...my wild hunch is that McBeane plays his draft capital closely and isn't moving up......also plays his FA dollars wisely with no "all in moves" in either arena for ONE player....he has assembled a formidable personnel staff on Pegula's dollar and I think they'll shop for maximum value/body count......not realistic to expect them to plug EVERY hole in this, their 1st draft, but they CAN make a significant dent IMO......agree that Jackson seems like a good fit in 'Zona and maybe a similar styled backup ala TT fits as well....or they re-sign UFA Stanton again who has been around for 10 years for 2 years/$8 mil ($4 mil) guaranteed to mentor Jackson or let him walk....are the Browns STILL hot after McCarron now that he is a UFA as a Kizer mentor if he is their eventual guy?.....tons of questions out there....hard to envision Mayfield falling to 21 and I'm not sure if he fits the McBeane/McD/Daboll mold (whatever the hell that is going to be) for 2018......wouldn't surprise me much if Rudolph is McBeane's safe pick at 21......he may slip at which time longer shots like White, Lauletta or Falk are in play, but I doubt he waits......

bolded liked

16 minutes ago, Buddo said:

Yes I expect the Giants to pick a shiny new QB for the the regime.

Manning would be a great mentor. They might trade out feeling they will still get their guy though.

7 minutes ago, OldTimer1960 said:

Don’t be surprised if the Browns are MUCH better in 2018.  They have some talent now and have picks 1, 4, 33, 35, 65.  They could add Cousins, Saquon Barkley and some trench help and be pretty good pretty quick.

This isn’t true.  It would take the Bills’ two 1sts and both 2nd round picks to beat Denver’s 1, 2 & 3.

Browns. yep

• Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...interesting.....Casserly was on NFLN saying it would "be a waste for Gettleman to pick Rosen and have him sit two years behind Eli because he is the most NFL ready QB in the draft".....

Probably why Casserly is no longer employed by a team.....

You could also then argue, that they could pick Allen there, as he's got the most upside, yet needs to sit for a couple.

The other side to that, is that if injuries happen, the older you get, the longer it takes to recover from them, so having someone who can step in at a moments notice, is a good thing.

The Giants shouldn't be expecting to draft this high again, in a hurry. They have got lucky, in that an unusually bad season for them, has coincided with one of the best QB classes for a while. (FWIW, last time they were in the top 5, they drafted Rivers @ #4)

Just now, Buddo said:

Probably why Casserly is no longer employed by a team.....

You could also then argue, that they could pick Allen there, as he's got the most upside, yet needs to sit for a couple.

The other side to that, is that if injuries happen, the older you get, the longer it takes to recover from them, so having someone who can step in at a moments notice, is a good thing.

The Giants shouldn't be expecting to draft this high again, in a hurry. They have got lucky, in that an unusually bad season for them, has coincided with one of the best QB classes for a while. (FWIW, last time they were in the top 5, they drafted Rivers @ #4)

....LMAO...I was trying to be respectful........he did get Mario right AND stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night...:thumbsup:

• Like (+1) 1

I hope they do move up to 2 and get the best QB otb... Get our franchise QB and be done with it. Beane and McDermot did a pretty good job last season with the talent they had on hand. Even better than most of us expected. A solid QB from the draft could really push them to the next level.

I think if they can land say Rosen... They'll have plugged a big hole and can sort through the rest later. I honestly think they can afford to give up some draft capital if they are confident the QB they move up for is a long term anwser to the position.

Its been awhile since our Bills have had the ammo in the draft to pull off a move like this. I'm all for it... Take the gamble Beane!

1 hour ago, Buddo said:

Very good point.

But for the sake of argument say that the Giants do not pick a QB.

What are their thoughts of acquiring one next year.

If it is out of the draft they will need a lot more high picks to increase their odds.

So, if NYG don't pick a QB the smartest thing they could do is make sure they get another 1st round pick in 2019.

A lot of pundits saying give Eli at least another year.

What if they do and go 8-8 +/- 1 game and don't make the playoffs.

Now all they got is a mid level 1st round pick and a need for a QB.

What the Giants do this year is going to be very interesting!