Benjamin Allbright - Bills Calling Around Looking for A Top 10 Pick

sven233

The mistake in this will be if we get the QB and don't use our other resources to fill in the gaps on offense.  Set this QB up for success by getting offensive lineman, a wide receiver and another running back.  If you are going to spend a ton of draft picks on getting the guy, you best be doing everything in your power to surround that guy with talent and give him the best opportunity to be successful.  It'd be a great disservice in my opinion to trade up for the QB and then go after defensive guys while leaving gaping holes on the offense.  I know the defense needs work but look at what Philly did with Carson Wentz...surrounded him with talents and he eased right in to success.  I repeat, if you are going to invest in the QB, really invest in him.

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Steptide said:

I know I'm late to this discussion, but I'd find it hard to believe if the bills are really trying that hard to get into the top 10 already. I know beane is the gm, but with McDermott being incredibly thorough about everything, I'd be surprised if they 100% had their guy before the combine or free agency even started. That woukd seem panicky to me and I don't see McDermott or beane being that way 

I don't think it's panicky.  I also don't think it's serious discussion at this point. 

It's more "we might have an interest in moving up, depending on the combine...have you thought about trading down?  what would you take?" stage of gauging interest.

• Like (+1) 1

52 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I don't think it's panicky.  I also don't think it's serious discussion at this point. 

It's more "we might have an interest in moving up, depending on the combine...have you thought about trading down?  what would you take?" stage of gauging interest.

It's all due diligence and to begin to put the plan together based on how the draft unfolds...

I for one will be astounded if we don't trade up for a QB...

5 hours ago, NastyNateSoldiers said:

I think its obvious he already had multiple concussions last yr alone. Plus the nerve issue in 2016.  This is a serious red flag in my opinion. 

Good then the Combine will medically red flag him as well wont it?

On 2/17/2018 at 9:26 PM, Logic said:

I agree that out of the top 5 QBs, Allen is the one I am most leery of. Big arm, great athleticism, bad accuracy. Losman and Manuel all over again.

I personally want Mayfield, but would be happy with Darnold or Rosen as well. Allen, though? Yuck.

Neither Rosen or Allen are worth trading up.  Only Darnold. Now if by some act of God Sam Darnold falls to 3/4, you push all your chips to the center of the table. Or wait till 21/22 and go Rudolph/Jackson back to back.

2 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

Neither Rosen or Allen are worth trading up.  Only Darnold. Now if by some act of God Sam Darnold falls to 3/4, you push all your chips to the center of the table. Or wait till 21/22 and go Rudolph/Jackson back to back.

Gross. All in on another USC QB? No way. Rosen is the real deal of this draft, hands down. If we end up trading up and go anybody else, i'll be sick. The kid is gonna be great at the next level. I will bookmark this and come back in 2 years. I'd bet the farm on it

51 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Mayfield is growing on me

If he was 2 inches taller, he would be the consensus #1 pick.

It's amazing what 2 extra inches can get you and being 2 inches to small can do to you...

Edited by Reed83HOF

53 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Mayfield is growing on me

Mayfield is the guy I want Buffalo to draft. I'll be fine with Darnold or Rosen, too, but Mayfield...

Oftentimes, when a quarterback prospect has that undefinable "it factor" of leadership, rallying guys around him, elevating the play of those around him, said player doesn't have the physical skills to match. Therefore he does not succeed in the big leagues. The Tim Tebows, if you will.

Mayfield, though? This guy has that quality AND the physical skills to get the job done. Go ahead and save this for #ColdTakes later on, but Mayfield is gonna be a stud in the NFL for a long time, and whichever QB-needy teams pass on him will regret it. Sadly, I have this gut feeling that the Bills don't feel the same way about Mayfield that I do. So be it. I just hope he doesn't go to the Jets, Dolphins, or Patriots instead. Heck, I hope he doesn't go to anyone in the WHOLE AFC if he doesn't become a Bill.

Last time I felt this passionate about a guy was Deshaun Watson last year. Good thing the Bills didn't agree with me on that one! Really dodged a bullet!

Edited by Logic
  • Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, Logic said:

Mayfield is the guy I want Buffalo to draft. I'll be fine with Darnold or Rosen, too, but Mayfield...

Oftentimes, when a quarterback prospect has that undefinable "it factor" of leadership, rallying guys around him, elevating the play of those around him, said player doesn't have the physical skills to match. Therefore he does not succeed in the big leagues. The Tim Tebows, if you will.

Mayfield, though? This guy has that quality AND the physical skills to get the job done. Go ahead and save this for #ColdTakes later on, but Mayfield is gonna be a stud in the NFL for a long time, and whichever QB-needy teams pass on him will regret it. Sadly, I have this gut feeling that the Bills don't feel the same way about Mayfield that I do. So be it. I just hope he doesn't go to the Jets, Dolphins, or Patriots instead. Heck, I hope he doesn't go to anyone in the WHOLE AFC if he doesn't become a Bill.

Last time I felt this passionate about a guy was Deshaun Watson last year. Good thing the Bills didn't agree with me on that one! Really dodged a bullet!

I heard somebody (maybe Herbstriet?) say 3-5 years from now we are going to wonder why it was so hard to see how good Mayfield would turn out to be. Time will tell.... Hold your thumb and forefinger 1.5- 2 inches apart, and ask yourself if that’s all the difference in the world. Sure, it IS one factor, out of many. 

On 2/17/2018 at 4:20 PM, McBean said:

All signs are pointing towards Josh Rosen.

I believe we've identified him as the face of this franchise for the next 10+ years..

This would be terrible, Rosen will is not a Buffalo type guy and would be a terrible face of the franchise.

On 2/17/2018 at 3:15 PM, BrooklynBills said:

This would be a setup to get to #2 IMO.

Something like 21, 53, Shaq Lawson to CHI for 8.

Then 8, 22, Glenn, 19 2nd for 2

I wouldnt doubt Beane has already talked to Gettleman and was told get a top 10 pick and we have the framework for a deal

That won't be enough for us to get to 7-10 range. Teams moving up rarely give up "even" value. Combined with everyone knowing we're moving up for a QB means we'll get taxed. I doubt anyone is coveting Shaq that much, theres pass rushing prospects that should be available to Tampa or Chicago like Davenport, and Edmunds(More of a swiss army knife than a pure pass rushing prospect but still) if they choose to stand pat.

Edited by Toua77