How to build the Bills into a Champion

Tatonka68

25 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

The issue here is that there is no debate that should be happening here.  We both seem to agree on the value of OL and QB play.  

OP stated what is needed to build a champion.  I pointed out he left out a critical part of that, OL upgrade, because our OL is awful at pass protection.  I cited the big turnarounds that both teams and players experienced in recent years behind great Offensive Lines which they don't get enough fan credit for.

Players:

Foles went from being a guy given up on by 2 teams as a failed starter  to a SB MVP behind the best OL in football.

Keenum went from being given up on by 2 teams as a failed starter, to the NFC Championship game and likely a nice new contract as a starter next year behind a good OL in Minny.

Bradford went form being a struggling starter to quality starter once he left Rams for Philly, and then again in Minny...all behind better OL's.  

Getting worse:

Dak regressed this year when he had to be leaned on as the OL play slipped and so did the run game.

Cousins play declined behind a declining OL this year.

Teams:

Rams - After heavily revamping the OL worst to 3rd best in NFL, the Rams went from worst offense and terrible run game to a great offense with a lethal run game.

Redskins - With the OL play falling off and struggling, so did the team and Cousins.

Cowboys - Again the OL declined and so did the team and Dak.  

These are just examples of the last 2 years.  Offensive Line isnt exciting or sexy, but a path to a CHAMPIONSHIP means we need to address it along with our QB.  You asked me some questions like I dont understand the value of getting a QB.  Of course I do, and nothing I have said at any point is advocating to not getting the right one.  I am all for doing what it takes to get said QB.  Once again though, this thread is not about who will play QB, its about the path to a championship and the OP left off a critical need of this team, ESPECIALLY if we draft a high QB...a better OL who can actually pass block for that QB.

Its not about one or the other, its about the need to do both...get the QB and improve the OL. 

The original post I disagreed with was the one wherein you claimed the Eagles and Rams' turnaround had nothing to do with Goff and Wentz. Everything you posted after that we pretty much see eye to eye.

12 hours ago, Tatonka68 said:

1. Sign free agents CB Vonte Davis, DT Dontari Poe and WR Paul Richardson. Resign DT Kyle Williams and CB Leonard Johnson.

2. Trade both 1st round picks, the 3rd round pick from this year and a 2nd from 2019 to NY GIants for there 1st round pick.

3. Draft QB Josh Rosen in the 1st round, in the 2ns round draft ILB Josey Jewell and OLB Tegray Scales, 4th round pick RB Bo Scarbrough.

DONE

Not bad at all. I'll try

FA signings.... 

WR John Brown- He's missed 8 games the past 3 season but when healthy he's dangerous, the missing deep threat.

QB Josh McCown- Excellent veteran leader, would be a perfect teacher for any young QB we draft.

ILB Christian Jones- The market value on brown is 8.4M per season, for a guy who had 0 sacks, fumbles, FR or INT that is way too high. Jones will be reasonable.

CB E.J. Gaines- He will be our FA splash at 9.3M per season on average, that's alot but not when you have Tom Brady in your division throwing it all over the field.

Draft

I think both picks 1 and 2 are locks being Darnold and Rosen but the Bills should trade up and select Mayfield if both are off the board. He looks like a winner to me exactly how I felt about Deshaun Watson a year ago. This is the year of the deep class for QB but they will go quickly, we need to be one of the teams to get one finally and i would be happy with Mayfield, Allen or Jackson but I don't see any of them falling to 21. I'm pretty sure it will cost us both 1st and our 2019 1st but I'm good with that.

20 hours ago, Virgil said:

Would you seriously give that up to get the #2 pick?

I don’t care who is there, no rookie QB is worth that risk. 

Yep. Ask Eagles and Rams fams think they care what they gave up to get their QBs 

17 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

We eat a bunch of it.  If he's on the roster the 2nd day of the new league year, we eat his roster bonus and his salary becomes $9.25M for the next 3 years.

That's like #15 for LTs in the league, and he's arguably better than that if healthy.

That's about what I think it would take.

Well, but think about how that would work.  If you offer someone compensation they consider truly enticing, wouldn't that encourage them to go for the compensation instead of the player?

Beane: "we'll trade you Cordy Glenn, our #21, our #22, our 2018 2nd and 3rd, and our 2019 2nd for your #2 pick this year"

Gettleman: "Good, but Glenn just had surgery - what if he's not healthy?"

Beane: "we'll give you more compensation - IF Glenn fails, #21, #22, our 2018 1st and 3nd, and our 2019 2nd for your #2 "

Gettleman: "I'm sorry to tell you Glenn failed our physical"

Beane: "but you've only looked at his picture!"

Gettleman: "I picture him failing."

Could be. I am not sure how draft dat trades work with the physical thing. I know i dont recall any player or trade involved in a draft day trade voided because of a failed physical. 

I am sure the team involved ie Giants probably have seen his medical documents already

20 hours ago, Virgil said:

Would you seriously give that up to get the #2 pick?

I don’t care who is there, no rookie QB is worth that risk. 

...of course not.....and McBeane is a helluva lot smarter than that.......THAT bounty would put "Ditka's entire draft for Ricky", "Boy Danny Snyder's kings ransom for RG II 7/8" and "Vikes boatload for Herschel" deals to shame.......

Just now, kdiggz said:

They made it to the AFC championship game before Luck got hurt. People tend to forget that

And he is still on the team.   And the team sucks.    Last time the Bills played Indy while Luck was starting QB - the Bills manhandled them.     It takes a lot more than a QB.

Indy is perfect proof of that.

20 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Either way, the OL is awful and its imperative that we ALSO address the pass protection this offseason to help keep whatever new QB we have upright this year or it will be a long year for them.

Edite

we should go find the best fa rt that we possibly can and draft a center. dawkins/richie/groy/miller/vet rt  is not an awful line.

as a matter of fact they could probably shoot way up the rankings if they don't have to pass pro for 5+ seconds wondering where the hell the qb is.

that being said , with a good ota and camp, i think peterman can give us a goff type performance.

• Haha (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, PolishDave said:

And he is still on the team.   And the team sucks.    Last time the Bills played Indy while Luck was starting QB - the Bills manhandled them.     It takes a lot more than a QB.

Indy is perfect proof of that.

He hasn't been healthy in 2 yrs and when he was healthy they were a game away from the super bowl. And that was with a horrible team around him. We actually have a decent defense. Just add a QB of Luck's caliber and we are a super bowl contending team too

20 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

No I get it.  But it's still two late-round #1s and even correcting for them being in the same year, it just seems out of scope with what people have had to give to move up just a few slots.  I mean, it cost us a 1st and a 4th the following year to just swap up 5 spots.  Swapping up 19 spots seems like both firsts and at least a first the subsequent year might be involved.

I thought the stopping of Elliot was performed on behalf of the Cowboy's opponents by Roger Goodell.  At least for like, 1/3 of the season with questions on how effective the stress and distraction of appeals and being out of "game shape" rendered the rest.

It was a while ago so I'm not 100% sure. Maybe someone else can confirm... 

But I swear that I remember hearing/reading that the Browns would have taken our 2014 2nd but Whaley wanted to keep all of his picks in 2014 so he gave them the 1st in 2015 instead. 

3 minutes ago, BillsFan4 said:

It was a while ago so I'm not 100% sure. Maybe someone else can confirm... 

But I swear that I remember hearing/reading that the Browns would have taken our 2014 2nd but Whaley wanted to keep all of his picks in 2014 so he gave them the 1st in 2015 instead.

I never heard that or saw it in the swirls of discussion at the time.  It's water under the bridge now.

The point is, thoughts we can just take #21 and #22 and a talented but IR'd LT who just underwent surgery, and swap them on draft day to go from #21 to #2, are probably unrealistic based upon past deals....even considering that two 1st round picks this year have a higher value than a 1st this year and a 1st next year.

3 hours ago, MAJBobby said:

Yep. Ask Eagles and Rams fams think they care what they gave up to get their QBs 

Could be. I am not sure how draft dat trades work with the physical thing. I know i dont recall any player or trade involved in a draft day trade voided because of a failed physical. 

I am sure the team involved ie Giants probably have seen his medical documents already

.......our team sent his medical documents across the country to another team without Glenn's knowledge?  Something off there.....

I have asked in its own thread, and in this one, for anyone to give me examples of DRAFT DAY player trades for high rounds - 1st or 2nd.

So far not getting anything much.

Edited by Hapless Bills Fan

Sign Star and Marquise Lee. Keep Cordy and have him and Dawkins as bookends

Draft Lamar or Allen at 21, trade down from 22 for 45 and 68.  (800 on Draft value chart for 550 and 250).

round 2+3

45 Ronald Jones RB

53 Isiah Wynn G

56 Harold Landry DE

68 Ogbonnia Okoronkwo OLB

On ‎2‎/‎16‎/‎2018 at 3:48 PM, SoCal Deek said:

Well that's pretty frightening!  The Eagles were better at 'every level' and yet they still needed a late strip sack and a batted down Hail Mary to beat Tom Brady.  We are DOOMED!

Brady (perhaps the GOAT) played the game of his life in that Super Bowl. He was unstoppable.

And it still wasn't enough.

Why?

Because the Eagles had enough talent all over to keep up and make 1 play when they needed to on defense.

We've seen Brady have games like that against Bills teams and it usually ends in a 37-7 type score because with Tyrod the offense is all about running the ball and setting up a favorable punt.

Edited by TheFunPolice

On 2/17/2018 at 9:06 PM, Pete said:

Sign Star and Marquise Lee. Keep Cordy and have him and Dawkins as bookends

Draft Lamar or Allen at 21, trade down from 22 for 45 and 68.  (800 on Draft value chart for 550 and 250).

round 2+3

45 Ronald Jones RB

53 Isiah Wynn G

56 Harold Landry DE

68 Ogbonnia Okoronkwo OLB

I'd be surprised if Wynn drops that far.  Possible but I expect him to go in the 1st.  Landry I could see dropping out of the 1st but I think he has a very good chance to go late first or the first 10 picks of the 2nd.  

On 2/16/2018 at 9:00 AM, Virgil said:

1 - Trust the Process

2 - Complain about the process on here

3 - Celebrate Super Bowl win

:beer: you have my vote for post of the day, one a worth a little, from a guy in probation...:D

Edited by BuffaLoko

On ‎02‎/‎16‎/‎2018 at 9:45 AM, Tatonka68 said:

1. Sign free agents CB Vonte Davis, DT Dontari Poe and WR Paul Richardson. Resign DT Kyle Williams and CB Leonard Johnson.

2. Trade both 1st round picks, the 3rd round pick from this year and a 2nd from 2019 to NY GIants for there 1st round pick.

3. Draft QB Josh Rosen in the 1st round, in the 2ns round draft ILB Josey Jewell and OLB Tegray Scales, 4th round pick RB Bo Scarbrough.

DONE

It would take a 2019 1st, not just a 2nd, to move from 21 to 2.