Last year's Round One Trade Down - What if

19 minutes ago, FearLess Price said:

If the trade worked out like that i wonder if they wouldve took Mahomes instead of Watson.

With the Bills' luck, it probably wouldn't have worked out any better.  And might have changed how the season went.  So I'm fine with how things turned out and am not looking back.

1 hour ago, IgotBILLStopay said:

Many of us wanted a trade down and are happy with Tre, 3rd and this year's first for moving down .. but..

I just wish we had done the trade with Houston instead of the Chiefs. Would have been the 4th pick this year ......

I don't know, let's play our next season and then I can answer!:rolleyes:

20 minutes ago, frostbitmic said:

I would've just picked Watson and we'd be set with a franchise QB.

It's possible that they could've moved back into the 1st or up in the 2nd for Tre or that he would have dropped to us.

It didn't happen so we'll never know.

Love that idea except i would of taken Mahomes instead.

50 minutes ago, Real McCoy said:

Did Houston offer us a trade? 

I personally would have drafted Watson at 10. It's a done deal though

The story is, no. Houston had Watson as their #1 guy but were very sweet on Mahomes too so while both were on the board they were willing to bide their time. Once their fallback option was off the table they immediately called Cleveland. Who knows how true that is but I have read it that way on Texans blogs. 

Likewise I know Badol believes it was entirely predictable that KC was better than Houston in 2017. I have to say before the injuries I'd have gone the other way and had Houston winning more games. That judgment might have been wrong but I don't think it was clearcut. I think you could have made the argument either way. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

This is the Houston war room when they picked Watson.....lots of reports Mahomes was their guy and that they HAD no choice but to go up and get Watson (reported the owner told them to make it happen)  Does anyone besides GM Rick Smith look happy about getting Watson there?  That's a war room that is disappointed that Mahomes got sniped in front of them.  (On a side note, professional golfer Justin Speith, was a guest in the New Orleans war room, and he flat out said Mahomes was the Saints pick at 11 if he was there)

C-qOzn6V0AAvWWo.jpg

44 minutes ago, Zerovotlz said:

This is the Houston war room when they picked Watson.....lots of reports Mahomes was their guy and that they HAD no choice but to go up and get Watson (reported the owner told them to make it happen)  Does anyone besides GM Rick Smith look happy about getting Watson there?  That's a war room that is disappointed that Mahomes got sniped in front of them.  (On a side note, professional golfer Justin Speith, was a guest in the New Orleans war room, and he flat out said Mahomes was the Saints pick at 11 if he was there)

C-qOzn6V0AAvWWo.jpg

Okay now I am sure you are jeffismagic

The story is, no. Houston had Watson as their #1 guy but were very sweet on Mahomes too so while both were on the board they were willing to bide their time. Once their fallback option was off the table they immediately called Cleveland. Who knows how true that is but I have read it that way on Texans blogs. 

(On a side note, professional golfer Justin Speith, was a guest in the New Orleans war room, and he flat out said Mahomes was the Saints pick at 11 if he was there)

Thanks I did not know these two bits of info. Amazing how well our KC deal worked out for NO, Cleveland and Houston then. NO got the rookie of the year, Cleveland got #4 and Houston got their franchise QB. Jury is still out on Mahomes. - maybe will work out for KC as well. IF we get a franchise QB this year, I will be happy too (I am happy with Tre too).

10 hours ago, HappyDays said:

Okay now I am sure you are jeffismagic

Yep.  He has just given himself away.  

11 hours ago, Zerovotlz said:

This is the Houston war room when they picked Watson.....lots of reports Mahomes was their guy and that they HAD no choice but to go up and get Watson (reported the owner told them to make it happen)  

That is absolutely not the way that the Texans blog community tells the story, not the way the Houston Chronicle tells the story (and John McClain is one of the very best beat writers for ANY team in the country) and is not the way SI told the story either.  The Texans did like Mahomes, but Deshaun Watson was their guy all along.  McClain's scoop was actually that earlier in the process when the Texans were not sure Watson made it out of the top 10 they talked to the Jets about moving up to number 6 for him.  

The "Texans wanted Mahomes over Watson" rumours came from Walterfootball.  Long time readers know my view on the accuracy of rumours that come from that site. They are the ultimate throw enough mud at the wall and hope some sticks site.  

Edited by GunnerBill

Holy Captain Obvious

The Chiefs had won 9, 11, & 12 games per year up to last year ... so where did you think the pick was gonna land??

The bigger surprise was the Bills record / playoffs in 2018 ... yes we played in a game after New Years .. that I'm happy about .. but many on this board (me included) probably has us in the six win stage so our pick is the one that is later than most expected (especially after the trades of Sammy, Dareus, etc.).

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

Yep.  He has just given himself away.  

That is absolutely not the way that the Texans blog community tells the story, not the way the Houston Chronicle tells the story (and John McClain is one of the very best beat writers for ANY team in the country) and is not the way SI told the story either.  The Texans did like Mahomes, but Deshaun Watson was their guy all along.  McClain's scoop was actually that earlier in the process when the Texans were not sure Watson made it out of the top 10 they talked to the Jets about moving up to number 6 for him.  

The "Texans wanted Mahomes over Watson" rumours came from Walterfootball.  Long time readers know my view on the accuracy of rumours that come from that site. They are the ultimate throw enough mud at the wall and hope some sticks site.  

I am going purely off that picture.  Does that look like a group of folks that are excited about trading up to get Watson?  I am sure the sources close to the team all say it was Watson from the beginning....what else would they say after drafting him?  Watson has looked really good so far.  I am sure they are delighted to have him, as are the Saints to have Lattimore and the Bills to have White.  The big loser in all this appears to be the Cleveland Browns....shocking.

Second...I really am a guy from Kansas City (who now lives in Ft. Worth, TX) and joined the board to observe over time, how the Bills fanbase sees the trade.  I do think it is a bonus that you think I am another guy who apparently isn't here anymore, that had been a big Mahomes supporter.  

Third.  In the short time I have been on this board, I have mentioned this in another thread somewhere, but I really enjoy just the general football talk here, or even just reading about what you all have to say about your team.  I joined a Browns board for the same reason, and I often go read Broncos boards and now with smith traded to Washington, I cruise some redskins sites.  This place has the best and most inteligent conversations....that includes the Chiefs groups I am a part of.  (Kansas City fans are very homerish and don't take well to constructive criticism of the home town team and players)  

Glad to be here...hope to be here for a good long while if you all can put up with me interjecting here and there.

That picture means absolutely jack nothing. 

EDIT: it is of course possible that Billy O preferred Mahomes. But Billy O does not set the Texans draft board. If McClain says Watson was their #1 QB you can take that to the bank as far as I am concerned. 

And I was not surprised Mahomes went high. I spent the whole run up to last draft season telling people on this board to ignore the talking heads - the league was higher on the 2017 QB class than the talking heads were. And for good reason in my opinion. I said at one points 3 in the top 10 would not have shocked me. 3 in the top 12 was the eventual outcome. 

Edited by GunnerBill