If Darnold doesn’t go #1

Dkollidas

2 minutes ago, Real McCoy said:

Rosen should be the top QB off the board come draft day.

I think he said he didnt wanna play there. 

The Browns could always trade out of #1 to a team going full Ditka on Rosen.

Link

http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/news/ucla-qb-josh-rosen-2018-nfl-draft-doesnt-want-to-play-for-browns-prefers-giants/10evc0o70y39g1qbnprje4myd8

The Browns will take Mayfield Darnold or Allen with their 1st QB pick.

Or

Browns take the RB Barkley with # 1 and take whatever QB is left at #4

Or

Browns trade out of #1 and take a top QB at #4 or vice versa. 

1 minute ago, White Linen said:

or ever will want to.

Were changing the culture now. We keep pushing into the playoffs while we build a winner well be good again. Draft our QB and build from the ground up at that position.

Give us a few years well have our own DT, Emmanuel Sanders, Booker, and CJ Anderson line up here.

Players will want to come here when we are perrenial contenders.

• Like (+1) 1

If Darnold doesn't go #1, the Browns should be closed by the league office.

2 hours ago, OldTimer1960 said:

Darnold is a good maybe very good QB prospect, but if you think you want to trade 21, 22 and at least another high pick for him, go watch his USC vs Notre Dame game last season.  I did not see him come remotely close to carrying USC in that game.  I get that it was only one game, but if you are giving up a great deal to get him, I think you are hoping that he can carry your offense.

Don't get me wrong, I'd be happy to have him for a reasonable price - heck I'd be happy with a QB that at least gives you a chance to win in most situation - it has been a long time since the Bills have had that.  

I am not opposed to trading up to secure a QB prospect in this draft.  I can even see the argument to trade 21 and 22 to move up for the right prospect, but I really am leery of giving up more than that.  Unfortunately, I don't think that is enough to get Rosen, Darnold or Mayfield.  I might be content to 21 and a 2nd to move up a little and take Jackson or Rudolph and still have pick 22 left.    I am also not as down on Josh Allen as many here?  

I haven't watched as many games as some here, but I think that both Jackson and Rudolph are better than they are generally being given credit for.

The game with 11 starters out and three 3rd stringers on the O line?

10 minutes ago, yungmack said:

If Darnold doesn't go #1, the Browns should be closed by the league office.

The game with 11 starters out and three 3rd stringers on the O line?

Extenuating circumstances for sure, but surely USC 3rd stringers are still better than the talent Josh Allen played with.  

Please don’t think I am trying to argue that Allen is a better prospect, but if Darnold gets a pass for that game, you have to at least consider giving Allen some credit for hanging in with what he had to work with.

15 hours ago, LABILLBACKER said:

Darnold is the ONLY QB worthy of a trade up. Not Rosen, Mayfield or Allen. But a lot will change after the combine.  I'd still consider Rudolph and the best DT at 21/22.

Darnold has top 10 arm talent, and that includes the NFL.   He is pretty special player.  They won't get him, but he should be very good in the NFL.  

1 hour ago, FearLess Price said:

I don't think any QB wants to come here.

I think you have it all wrong and are possibly thinking about how players used to think of Buffalo with the first owner. This franchise is not even close to what it was with the last owner even though he did sign Mario for 100 million. With Wilson, you needed to overpay to bring some elite players to Buffalo.

Making the playoffs this past year will be huge with players thinking of now coming to this city. Yes, it's a small market and so is Green Bay! Buffalo is not Cleveland which has never even been to a super bowl. Think of it, Cleveland, Detroit, Houston, and Jacksonville have never been to a super bowl. Cleveland just went 0-16 to tie Detroit for the worst record ever and hasn't had a winning record in 10 years. Head coach Hue Jackson is 1-31 at Cleveland over two seasons and how the guy kept his job this year is beyond me. 

Going back to the OP post. I might be in the minority here but I feel giving up so many draft picks to get one of the first two QBs might be a fool's errand simply because they all have warts. None of these players are graded to the level of an Andrew Luck.

Darnold, with his (11) turnovers it leads to concern about hand size and how well will he play in cold weather!

Rosen, his durability with his shoulder, concussions and his personality as teams will really want to spend a lot of time talking to him. 

Mayfield, with his height issue and it didn't help to see ball batted down at the line in the senior bowl. Plus, he has some character issues.  

Allen has the highest upside with a rare combination of size, arm strength and athletic ability. BUT, he has some question marks in his poor play against top competition. He did play on a bad team last season and his receivers dropped a lot of balls. His play in the senior bowl really knocked down a lot of the bad marks against him.

Now, Mel Kiper has Josh Allen going #1 overall to Cleveland and Todd McShay has Darnold #1, Rosen #2 to the Giants, Mayfield #5 to Denver, Allen #6 to the Jets.

Should the NY Giants go QB with that 2nd pick I think it kills this entire discussion. Buffalo might need to trade up with Indy #3 or Cleveland #4 to get Allen or Mayfield. 

9 minutes ago, Nihilarian said:

Now, Mel Kiper has Josh Allen going #1 overall to Cleveland and Todd McShay has Darnold #1, Rosen #2 to the Giants, Mayfield #5 to Denver, Allen #6 to the Jets.

Should the NY Giants go QB with that 2nd pick I think it kills this entire discussion. Buffalo might need to trade up with Indy #3 or Cleveland #4 to get Allen or Mayfield. 

Right.  One team trading up for a QB could cause a bidding war to move up

7 hours ago, ndirish1978 said:

Yeah Rosen doesn't want to come here. People tend to view things in a light that confirms their personal feelings. This is a Bills board and most of the people live in NY, so when they hear people speak negatively about the town they think it's illogical and get offended, but weather and being a smaller market matters to people, especially "me first" players whose goal is to become famous. 

You're entitled to your opinion and that opinion is wrong. This is the mentality that kept us out of the playoffs for 17 years. 

And that is your opinion :P 

I think no one is wrong when considering possibilities.

2 hours ago, baskingridgebillsfan said:

Three first and Glenn could get it done.  It is a lot but the way they are talking about Glenn he doesn't factor into the long term plans.  

look at It like this over the course of the three drafts your get a top notch corner and a potential Franchise qb.  A lot of team would have less to show for three first rounder's

What I think will happened is The Broncos move to number 2 then the Jets move to number 3 .  Allen and Rudolph fall until the Cards or Bills make a move or wait.  

If one of the playoff team with an older vet or Bortles might want to trade up to 21 which would be interesting choice for the Bills  

There is already media speculation, namely CBS Sports, about Denver moving up.  Their cost to move up a few spots will be far less than us so they could afford to play a bidding war.  Buffalo is not in a position to give up a half dozen picks or players.

1 hour ago, White Linen said:

or ever will want to.

Not ever.

The Curse lives

1 minute ago, RochesterRob said:

There is already media speculation, namely CBS Sports, about Denver moving up.  Their cost to move up a few spots will be far less than us so they could afford to play a bidding war.  Buffalo is not in a position to give up a half dozen picks or players.

would not be surprised with Elway having a seeming lack of success so far ?
we are not likely to bid into the single digits. My opinion

15 hours ago, transplantbillsfan said:

Honest question... why isn't Mayfield the best of this bunch?

Is it height? He's still 6'1"... his behavior? McDermott seems like a coach who can channel that visceral competitive moxy... so what is it?

Mayfield please. He excites me the most. Then Darnold.

He is listed as 6'1" but the consensus is that this is totally distorted.

The popular guess is that he is 5'11" maximum.  People are anxious to measure his real height at the combine.

I think some people DO consider him the #1 prospect in the draft.  Darnold did not progress this last college season the way he should have and I think his stock has fallen as a result.  Still others may regard him as #1.

It will be interesting to see how the pecking order plays out on draft day.

The Bills need to do what it takes to get up there and grab one of the good guys.  Stop screwing around!

15 minutes ago, 3rdand12 said:

Not ever.

The Curse lives

would not be surprised with Elway having a seeming lack of success so far ?
we are not likely to bid into the single digits. My opinion

I would guess as everybody puts their cards on the table regarding their intentions that it will cost 6-7 high picks to get up to 2 or 3.  Subtract one 2nd round type pick if Glenn is worked in.  

• Haha (+1) 1

15 hours ago, KingRex said:

It makes far more sense to this football fan for the Bills to follow the Pitts model they used to build a team and then go after a QB (who turned out to be Big Ben to win an SB.  Look, we have one of the oldest rosters in the NFL and now having to find a stud center, it seems even more obvious to  use the 2- 1st rounders and 2 nd rounders to rebuild this TEAM rather than invest all resources to put a formula 1 engine in our VW bug team.

Trading up for the next Andrew Luck (or worse the next Ryan Leaf) would be a disaster for this team.

I also feel that we need to fill all those empty holes while we have the draft choices to do it. If we could field a well coached team with a strong defense and an offense tht can run the ball we don't need to give up a bunch of picks for a qb who could easily turn out to be another Losman or Manuel. Another consideration is that a bunch of rookie contracts for players filling those empty holes will give us the cap space to grab a proven free agent gb a yr down the road. 

3 hours ago, FearLess Price said:

Youre being a homer and thats cool.

Cousins and Beane? Based on what? Common interests?

If you want to win you go to the team you think gives you the best pieces to win with. 

Guarantee you Cousins doesnt come here. Without using my "inside sources" and #HLBMs.

Cousins and McD is what I wrote.  You need to actually read what posters write before criticizing.  Read the si article and you'll see how he and McD would be a great match.

2 hours ago, Fadingpain said:

He is listed as 6'1" but the consensus is that this is totally distorted.

The popular guess is that he is 5'11" maximum.  People are anxious to measure his real height at the combine.

I think some people DO consider him the #1 prospect in the draft.  Darnold did not progress this last college season the way he should have and I think his stock has fallen as a result.  Still others may regard him as #1.

It will be interesting to see how the pecking order plays out on draft day.

The Bills need to do what it takes to get up there and grab one of the good guys.  Stop screwing around!

He was measured at the senior bowl.

6'1"

not 5'11"

4 hours ago, Nihilarian said:

I think you have it all wrong and are possibly thinking about how players used to think of Buffalo with the first owner. This franchise is not even close to what it was with the last owner even though he did sign Mario for 100 million. With Wilson, you needed to overpay to bring some elite players to Buffalo.

Making the playoffs this past year will be huge with players thinking of now coming to this city. Yes, it's a small market and so is Green Bay! Buffalo is not Cleveland which has never even been to a super bowl. Think of it, Cleveland, Detroit, Houston, and Jacksonville have never been to a super bowl. Cleveland just went 0-16 to tie Detroit for the worst record ever and hasn't had a winning record in 10 years. Head coach Hue Jackson is 1-31 at Cleveland over two seasons and how the guy kept his job this year is beyond me. 

Going back to the OP post. I might be in the minority here but I feel giving up so many draft picks to get one of the first two QBs might be a fool's errand simply because they all have warts. None of these players are graded to the level of an Andrew Luck.

Darnold, with his (11) turnovers it leads to concern about hand size and how well will he play in cold weather!

Rosen, his durability with his shoulder, concussions and his personality as teams will really want to spend a lot of time talking to him. 

Mayfield, with his height issue and it didn't help to see ball batted down at the line in the senior bowl. Plus, he has some character issues.  

Allen has the highest upside with a rare combination of size, arm strength and athletic ability. BUT, he has some question marks in his poor play against top competition. He did play on a bad team last season and his receivers dropped a lot of balls. His play in the senior bowl really knocked down a lot of the bad marks against him.

Sure changed the perception of the Browns after they made the playoffs in 2002.

Dudes were kicking down the door to sign there.

• Haha (+1) 1

3 hours ago, RochesterRob said:

I would guess as everybody puts their cards on the table regarding their intentions that it will cost 6-7 high picks to get up to 2 or 3.  Subtract one 2nd round type pick if Glenn is worked in.  

Cocaine’s a hell of a drug :D

Edited by JaCrispy

30 minutes ago, SouthNYfan said:

Cleveland is on a level all to themselves as no player usually ever wants to play there anymore. That team hasn't been relevant since the 1980s and Marty Schottenheimer.

In the past under the late owner Ralph Wilson, the FO couldn't even get certain coaches to even interview with the team much less coach in Buffalo. That was as little ago as in this past decade. In the 1970's Buffalo got a national bad rep for bad air, bad weather, no jobs and most of all the love canal. The way Wilson got Chuck Knox to coach in Buffalo was to make him one of the highest paid in the league. Most of that is now forgotten.

Most everything bad from the past has changed with new ownership and most of the today's players don't care about a small market as they would rather live in a family atmosphere over a party town. The only thing that players would now think twice about playing in Buffalo is the weather and if you ask any of the 90's Bills players they relished playing in the snow in Nov, Dec, Jan.         

Right now with this coaching staff, owner this team is more enticing than Bills fans think. I think Cousins would pick Buffalo over the NY Jets, Denver, and Arizona as those coaching staffs didn't have a winning season in 2017. 

Edited by Nihilarian

3 minutes ago, JaCrispy said:

Cocaine’s a hell of a drug :thumbsup:

It's called out bidding the other guy in an auction setting.  If these guys grade out as top material to us then they should grade out as top material to other teams as well.  Nobody is obligated to use Jimmy Johnson's trade guide or any other guide.  If you really want pick 2,3,4, or whatever it means raising your hand until  the other guys stop bidding.  I don't get the mentality here that our supposed high rating of these QB's is going to be some sort of secret or that we are the only team that decides that it thinks that it is in need of a QB.  Never mind that some think (not me) that 40 plus year old QB's can will themselves to play at previously productive levels.  I am sorry that some here are bothered by what myself and others have to say about the matter.

4 minutes ago, RochesterRob said:

It's called out bidding the other guy in an auction setting.  If these guys grade out as top material to us then they should grade out as top material to other teams as well.  Nobody is obligated to use Jimmy Johnson's trade guide or any other guide.  If you really want pick 2,3,4, or whatever it means raising your hand until  the other guys stop bidding.  I don't get the mentality here that our supposed high rating of these QB's is going to be some sort of secret or that we are the only team that decides that it thinks that it is in need of a QB.  Never mind that some think (not me) that 40 plus year old QB's can will themselves to play at previously productive levels.  I am sorry that some here are bothered by what myself and others have to say about the matter.

I hear ya- I just don’t think it will take 6-7 high picks as you suggest...remember other teams don’t have the capital to match what we can offer...what other team can offer 3 1st round picks if need be...that would be their top pick for 3 straight drafts...but it would only be 2 drafts for us...throw in an extra 2nd rounder if need be and that is only 4 high picks...it would be very difficult for other teams to compete with what we can potentially offer imo...therefore I’m not at all concerned whether we can do it...I just wonder if McBeane has the balls to do what needs to be done.

25 minutes ago, Nihilarian said:

Cleveland is on a level all to themselves as no player usually ever wants to play there anymore. That team hasn't been relevant since the 1980s and Marty Schottenheimer.

In the past under the late owner Ralph Wilson, the FO couldn't even get certain coaches to even interview with the team much less coach in Buffalo. That was as little ago as in this past decade. In the 1970's Buffalo got a national bad rep for bad air, bad weather, no jobs and most of all the love canal. The way Wilson got Chuck Knox to coach in Buffalo was to make him one of the highest paid in the league. Most of that is now forgotten.

Most everything bad from the past has changed with new ownership and most of the today's players don't care about a small market as they would rather live in a family atmosphere over a party town. The only thing that players would now think twice about playing in Buffalo is the weather and if you ask any of the 90's Bills players they relished playing in the snow in Nov, Dec, Jan.         

Right now with this coaching staff, owner this team is more enticing than Bills fans think. I think Cousins would pick Buffalo over the NY Jets, Denver, and Arizona as those coaching staffs didn't have a winning season in 2017. 

My thing about the browns was a joke.

The rest of your post I agree with, except for the last paragraph.

I think it's presumptuous to say they are ahead of us based on one season.

Denver has a recent Superbowl victory, and another appearance.

Arizona has recent success as well.

The Jets are a larger market, so maybe he likes that? I don't think so with them though.

I think Denver and Arizona are higher than us, then us, then the Jets.

1 minute ago, SouthNYfan said:

My thing about the browns was a joke.

The rest of your post I agree with, except for the last paragraph.

I think it's presumptuous to say they are ahead of us based on one season.

Denver has a recent Superbowl victory, and another appearance.

Arizona has recent success as well.

The Jets are a larger market, so maybe he likes that? I don't think so with them though.

I think Denver and Arizona are higher than us, then us, then the Jets.

Denver went 5-11 last year with a new coaching staff and wouldn't be all that enticing as they are more than just a QB away from being a SB contender.  As for Arizona new HC Steve Wilks was the Panthers DC for only one season and an assistant coaching DB's the last 11 years. Both regimes haven't proved a thing as to if they can field a winning team. 

Looking at the NY Jets last season they had a decent QB in Josh McCown that threw for nearly three thousand yards with 18 TDs, 9 INTs. The Jets have bigger problems than just a QB as their coaching staff stinks and I kinda doubt Cousins would even help that team.  

I would think Cousins might look at Buffalo and see a good coaching staff, good defense that should improve and most importantly a top RB, rushing attack that will help take pressure off him. 

The thing is I highly doubt Buffalo would want to pay him 34 mill per should Washington franchise him and he signs. Even if things don't go that far Buffalo only has 31.4 in cap space and it would take some creative wrangling to get Cousins under contract with the Bills. They might be more interested in Bradford, Bridgewater or even Foles. 

8 hours ago, Nihilarian said:

Denver went 5-11 last year with a new coaching staff and wouldn't be all that enticing as they are more than just a QB away from being a SB contender.  As for Arizona new HC Steve Wilks was the Panthers DC for only one season and an assistant coaching DB's the last 11 years. Both regimes haven't proved a thing as to if they can field a winning team. 

Looking at the NY Jets last season they had a decent QB in Josh McCown that threw for nearly three thousand yards with 18 TDs, 9 INTs. The Jets have bigger problems than just a QB as their coaching staff stinks and I kinda doubt Cousins would even help that team.  

I would think Cousins might look at Buffalo and see a good coaching staff, good defense that should improve and most importantly a top RB, rushing attack that will help take pressure off him. 

The thing is I highly doubt Buffalo would want to pay him 34 mill per should Washington franchise him and he signs. Even if things don't go that far Buffalo only has 31.4 in cap space and it would take some creative wrangling to get Cousins under contract with the Bills. They might be more interested in Bradford, Bridgewater or even Foles. 

Denver's QB situation was horrible.

Turnover city.

Their defense is still a top flight unit, as good or better than ours.

I'm not impressed with their coach much, but they have a significantly better receiving corps and their running game is solid too.

Their OLine is a dumpster fire though.

They are instantly one of the top AFC teams with a QB, just like we are.

Their front office and ownership has recent success on not only winning, but in turning around a poor team rather quickly.

It's presumptuous to claim we are the definite favorites when pretty much nobody outside Buffalo seems to think so.

We are in the running, with a decent enough shot, assuming we will pay him$$$,  but you are acting like it's a foregone conclusion.

I'm being realistic, you're being Buffalo biased.

Edited by SouthNYfan
Auto correct fix
  • Like (+1) 1

12 hours ago, oldmanfan said:

Cousins and McD is what I wrote.  You need to actually read what posters write before criticizing.  Read the si article and you'll see how he and McD would be a great match.

I wasnt criticizing anything other than the belief that we are a perrenial playoff team rite now, a few more seasons and playoff births and we will be. Im just telling you Cousins wont play here. I didnt need to read about Cousins and McDerm being faith buddies either. I didnt mean to poop on your Cousins in a Bills uniform fantasy but it is what it is. This regime is drafting a QB this year, new OC, and stock pile of picks in case we need to go full Ditka, its the perfect time.

10 hours ago, SouthNYfan said:

Boom. Bomb dropped.

9 hours ago, JaCrispy said:

I hear ya- I just don’t think it will take 6-7 high picks as you suggest...remember other teams don’t have the capital to match what we can offer...what other team can offer 3 1st round picks if need be...that would be their top pick for 3 straight drafts...but it would only be 2 drafts for us...throw in an extra 2nd rounder if need be and that is only 4 high picks...it would be very difficult for other teams to compete with what we can potentially offer imo...therefore I’m not at all concerned whether we can do it...I just wonder if McBeane has the balls to do what needs to be done.

We will have to offer quantity as we do not offer quality.  Namely, the 5th overall pick in the case of Denver.  So we have to offer quantity to make up for it.  It's like a Craigslist list ad that says "rare car, will consider trades" and "make offer" for what is for sale in the ad.  Denver with the 5th is like a 5 year old pickup with around 75,000 miles valued at 15,000 dollars while us with the 21st is like offering a 10 year old Toyota Corolla with 125,000 miles worth 7,000 dollars.  One for one we do not match Denver at all in terms of value.  We have to keep offering things such as the John Deere garden tractor and hope Denver does not offer things as well.  If we have the big box store D140 tractor and Denver has a X530 then we have to dig around in the house or garage to out do what Denver just put out.  

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, JaCrispy said:

But several other teams don't have to move up as far so they won't need to offer as much.  Just going by one of the common draft value charts, Denver's 1st and 2nd pick are worth more than the Bills' two 1sts.

On 2/10/2018 at 12:02 AM, Dkollidas said:

If Cleveland doesnt take the USC QB #1 overall, Is it pretty much guaranteed McDermott & Beane try to move Heaven & Earth in order to get Darnold?

Could see a deal directly with the Giants... #21, #22, 2019 1st Round Pick, 2019 4th Round Pick & OT- Cordy Glenn for #2.

Or could we see two deals? Trade to say, #7 with Tampa (#21 & 2019 1st Round Pick), and then Trade #7 plus Glenn plus #22 for #2?

Regardless, I just think they have been rumored to really like Darnold. If Cleveland takes a different guy, I could see the Bills making the move for Darnold.

If Darnold is taken #1? I honestly see them staying put and taking Rudolph. 

Please don't ... agree this is full Ditka .. don't punt that much

3. Redskins trade up for RGIII

Redskins receive: 2012 first-rounder (No. 2: QB Robert Griffin III) 

Rams receive: 2012 first-rounder (No. 6: Traded to Cowboys), 2012 second-round selection (No. 39: CB Janoris Jenkins), 2013 first-rounder (No. 22: Traded to Falcons), 2014 first-rounder (No. 2: OT Greg Robinson) 

2. Packers acquire Hadl

Packers receive: QB John Hadl 

Rams receive: 1975 first-rounder (No. 9: DT Mike Fanning), 1975 second-rounder (No. 28: DB Monte Jackson), 1975 third-rounder (No. 61: C Geoff Reece), 1976 first-rounder (No. 8: Traded to Bears), 1976 second-rounder (No. 39: DB Pat Thomas) 

This trade doomed the Packers to nearly two decades' worth of despair while concurrently aiding the Rams' run as one of the powerhouse teams of the 1970s.

http://www.nfl.com/photoessays/0ap3000000519212

Throw away the draft value chart again this 1st rd. Then there is Goff  and Wentz  that were excellent  2nd season with the right coaching.

If we are going to go with a lot of spread formations & RPOs then Mayfield & Jackson would be the best fit. If you want a more conventional pocket QB then Darnold, Rosen or Allen would probably be best. If you want to mix it up then you might want to go with Rudolph or White.  It really depends on the type of offense we're going with which is why I feel we're better off keeping our picks and going with a QB like Rudolph.  

While I still feel our next biggest need is LB then DT, I am on board with grabbing Simms for the O-line as it would give us some depth with Groy & the possibility of Glenn coming back (Richie is a beast but he's not getting any younger).  We need an elite sideline-to-sideline LB to really take this D to the next level IMO. 

Let's Go Buffalo!!!!!

5 hours ago, SouthNYfan said:

Denver's QB situation was horrible.

Turnover city.

Their defense is still a top flight unit, as good or better than ours.

I'm not impressed with their coach much, but they have a significantly better receiving corps and their running game is solid too.

Their OLine is a dumpster fire though.

They are instantly one of the top AFC teams with a QB, just like we are.

Their front office and ownership has recent success on not only winning, but in turning around a poor team rather quickly.

It's presumptuous to claim we are the definite favorites when pretty much nobody outside Buffalo seems to think so.

We are in the running, with a decent enough shot, assuming we will pay him$$$,  but you are acting like it's a foregone conclusion.

I'm being realistic, you're being Buffalo biased.

I don't believe I am. I'm just looking at the scenarios and thinking which one would I want to go to as a QB.  

Fair points on Denver to a degree, although I feel Cousins is going to look at the overall record of last year of the team which was 5-11 which Is something I believe is very, very important. What happened with other coaching staffs in other years won't matter.  He will also be looking hard at that current coaching staff. They switched from a west coast scheme which is what Cousins was in, in Washington, and last year went with Erhardt-Perkins scheme. I can tell you that the scheme switch and offensive line tire fire will weigh heavily. 

What might sell Cousins on Denver is John Elway though.Thinking on it Cousins isn't Peyton Manning who can call his own plays and he needs a solid offense to fit into to feel comfortable. Both Arizona and Minnesota changed coaches too. The only team I would deem more of an interest than Buffalo that might make a play for the guy is Jacksonville and they have stated they are sticking with Bortles. 

While everyone thinks it's all about the money, Cousins stated he wants to win so Cleveland is not even in the picture. The NY Jets also have enough cap space to sign him and yet again 5-11 with a not so bad QB.  That is unless he was lying and is going all in for the money. 

My take on this entire situation is that the Washington FO/owner has never thought of Cousins as a true franchise QB as he was a lowly 4th round pick. More of an afterthought with RG3 getting all the money and hype.I think he wants to win more than anything to show the Redskins what they missed out on.

If this Buffalo FO really wants Cousins I think he will be amenable to sign in Buffalo, unless of course, he wants Garoppolo type money. And yes, JMHO.

6 minutes ago, Nihilarian said:

I don't believe I am. I'm just looking at the scenarios and thinking which one would I want to go to as a QB.  

Fair points on Denver to a degree, although I feel Cousins is going to look at the overall record of last year of the team which was 5-11 which Is something I believe is very, very important. What happened with other coaching staffs in other years won't matter.  He will also be looking hard at that current coaching staff. They switched from a west coast scheme which is what Cousins was in, in Washington, and last year went with Erhardt-Perkins scheme. I can tell you that the scheme switch and offensive line tire fire will weigh heavily. 

What might sell Cousins on Denver is John Elway though.Thinking on it Cousins isn't Peyton Manning who can call his own plays and he needs a solid offense to fit into to feel comfortable. Both Arizona and Minnesota changed coaches too. The only team I would deem more of an interest than Buffalo that might make a play for the guy is Jacksonville and they have stated they are sticking with Bortles. 

While everyone thinks it's all about the money, Cousins stated he wants to win so Cleveland is not even in the picture. The NY Jets also have enough cap space to sign him and yet again 5-11 with a not so bad QB.  That is unless he was lying and is going all in for the money. 

My take on this entire situation is that the Washington FO/owner has never thought of Cousins as a true franchise QB as he was a lowly 4th round pick. More of an afterthought with RG3 getting all the money and hype.I think he wants to win more than anything to show the Redskins what they missed out on.

If this Buffalo FO really wants Cousins I think he will be amenable to sign in Buffalo, unless of course, he wants Garoppolo type money. And yes, JMHO.

It has been talked about time and time again that their record was almost entirely due to QB play.

Why would he give a crap if a team had a bad record mostly due to crap QB play, when he is the possible incoming QB of said team?

The Jets are an up and coming team, with a coach who got performance nobody expected.

They are on the early stages of a rebuild, have jettisoned almost all of their baggage players, and have cap space and assets with a high pick this year.

Their front office seems to be on the upswing as well.

They are a very serious contender for cousins as well.

Edited by SouthNYfan

....just wild guesses.........

1. McBeane does NOT surrender draft capital to move up; pundits say Rudolph will be available at 21/22 and that's perhaps his choice.

2. McBeane plays FA capital conservatively without sinking MAJOR dollars in ONE player; he'll be a value shopper.

1 hour ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

....just wild guesses.........

1. McBeane does NOT surrender draft capital to move up; pundits say Rudolph will be available at 21/22 and that's perhaps his choice.

2. McBeane plays FA capital conservatively without sinking MAJOR dollars in ONE player; he'll be a value shopper.

I think that they may have to trade up ahead of Arizona to get the guy that they like best among the guys left, assuming Rosen, Darnold and Mayfield are out of reach.

Every one of Rudolph’s games that I’ve watched leaves me wondering why the draft media thinks he will be available at pick 21.  He isn’t fast but I was impressed with each game I’ve watched.

Edited by OldTimer1960
  • Like (+1) 1

I don't think the Bills will trade up anyplace near the top.   I don't see them burning a boatload of draft picks for one player.

They might trade up into the 11-13 range if a QB they really like is hanging around.    

6 hours ago, BadLandsMeanie said:

Im sick of QBs with bad omen names. "Loss-man" now "Darn"-old  

I wouldnt take him!

Now, that's the kind of in-depth analysis we've been missing around here!.