2019 QB Class

Peace Frog

1 hour ago, NastyNateSoldiers said:

There was more going on in Kc then just putting the blame on Alex Smith but the answer u seek is obvious Mahomes wasn't ready yet . Although he was ripping it up in practice he still needed to learn the basics of being a NFL QB. Mahomes played in the air raid offense at Texas Tech his playbook was more like a kids coloring book compared to the NFL.  Mahomes did work very hard and has caught on pretty quickly to NFL concepts. 

I agree with most of that. I said when he was drafted Mahomes basically needed to go in a box marked "Do not open until 2018". To throw him in when Smith had a mid season slump would have been a bad long term strategic decision. The right thing for his development was for him to sit. I actually think in an ideal world I'd have kept Smith and had an open competition between them in 2018 but I understand that with cap realities and the draft pick involved in the trade KC had to do what they did. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

I agree with most of that. I said when he was drafted Mahomes basically needed to go in a box marked "Do not open until 2018". To throw him in when Smith had a mid season slump would have been a bad long term strategic decision. The right thing for his development was for him to sit. I actually think in an ideal world I'd have kept Smith and had an open competition between them in 2018 but I understand that with cap realities and the draft pick involved in the trade KC had to do what they did. 

They know he's ready no need for a competition. 

18 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Look we only have 1 NFL game tape to grade and they see him every day so ultimately I bow to their opinion all I am saying is how I'd have done it. 

I see what your saying but let's say the Bills draft a QB this year high in the draft either at #21 or via trade up . We're gonna want to see him start  by at least 2019.  If not there's gonna be alot of questions asked.

5 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Look we only have 1 NFL game tape to grade and they see him every day so ultimately I bow to their opinion all I am saying is how I'd have done it. 

On a radio show that had a KC reporter on the show there was talk about Mahomes. The KC reporter said that Andy Reid was following Mahomes for two years. So evidently he saw a qb early on with the draft process with immense potential. He was a player that the coach was targeting for a long time. As you and others have stated Mahomes was drafted with the intention of giving him a pro red shirt year. The red shirt approach that was applied to Mahomes also applied to Goff whom the Rams knew was not going to be ready in his first year. Due to injuries and pressure on the HC he played at the end of his rookie season and was predictably overwhelmed. The next coach brought in talent and added smart coaching which resulted in a dramatic change for the qb and team. 

On a local radio show in Maryland the host was talking with a reporter from KC who followed the Chiefs. He made the point that Alex Smith was not going to sign a deal with any team he was traded to if that team was going to use a high draft pick for a qb. The Redskins gave him assurances so he signed a multi-year deal with them. Besides the contract constraints for having two qbs Smith made it known that he wasn't willing to go into camp and compete with a favored son young qb for the starting job. So when the Chiefs drafted Mahomes they sent clear signals that Alex Smith was not in their future plans. Regardless, Alex Smith has carved out a very good and lucrative career for himself. In my view he is  a good qb but not elite. 

• Like (+1) 1

17 hours ago, Peace Frog said:

Does anybody have any idea what the QBs might look like for next year's draft?  If we can't get our guy in this year's draft, would it make sense for the Bills to use all of their draft picks to fill as many holes as possible, tank this upcoming season, and then draft their QB next year?  We could shore up both lines, get our LB, RB, WR, and salary cap situation straightened out, etc.  Your thoughts?

Drew Lock, and Brett Rypien are my early faves.... Mailk Rosier looks very sharp as well... Looks like a pretty decent class actually...

18 hours ago, Peace Frog said:

Does anybody have any idea what the QBs might look like for next year's draft?  If we can't get our guy in this year's draft, would it make sense for the Bills to use all of their draft picks to fill as many holes as possible, tank this upcoming season, and then draft their QB next year?  We could shore up both lines, get our LB, RB, WR, and salary cap situation straightened out, etc.  Your thoughts?

Ya I was thinking of this the other day. Maybe we plug some holes this year dl ,  OL ,  lb etc this year and look to grab a qb next year. Unless we grab a quality free agent QB  or we draft  one high this year, we likely regress and better chance of landing a qb

16 hours ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

NO TANKING!!!

That Didnt Work For The Sabres as there is no Talent to build around the star and sets the team back for years.

We need to do what the Eagles did and trade up for our QB and if we can't get the guy we want we go BPA this year and then trade up next year.

I’m sorry, that was a little subtle for my dim wit. What side are you on exactly?   :)

14 hours ago, joesixpack said:

Oh god that looks awful

We will talk them up out of personal necessity, as usually happens. But it’s not currently inspiring, and we should remember this impression. 

• Haha (+1) 1

13 hours ago, xRUSHx said:

Here we go again, next year's class is better. Same old talk always wait for the QB because the next class is better.

Truth is the team will always have big needs at other positions and IMO they can be filled in FA but QB has to be done in the draft and done early unless you already have a franchise QB. A drafted QB is cheaper in the contract.

Enough waiting and enough with the next year's class talk. This year has plenty of good prospects early and we have plenty of picks to move up, just do it.

Should i hold up a sarcasm sign next time?

So many variables/possible outcomes with regards to mahomes move.

The ultimate success will not only be judged by our QB/draft results this year, but also on mahomes' career.

If he becomes an elite top5 guy, and we wind up with anything less than that, it was a bomb.

If he's above average/solid, say #6-#15, then we need to have at least that.

If he bombs we are of the hook.

Until now, the argument could be made that Buffalo's #1 goal was simply breaking the playoff drought.

But now it's done.  It's over.  Just making the playoffs next year means jack squat.

I don't want a roster built with a 10 win ceiling.  I don't want a roster built for temporary success.

That means doing anything and everything to land a top quarterback. 

Free agent signings like Case Keenum or Sam Bradford will not turn us into a long-term Super Bowl contender.  Waiting on the 4th or 5th best QB prospect or punting until 2019 isn't going to cut it either.  I could give a poop less about the other holes on the roster, until the position under center is accounted for. 

The Bills need to shoot for the stars this April.  This is widely considered the best QB class in 10-15 years.  They have 4 picks in the first 2 rounds.  If they absolutely need to sell the farm for somebody they really like (Darnold, Rosen, Allen, Mayfield), then DO IT.  Don't play it safe.  Don't let failures like Robert Griffin stop you.  The Eagles traded up for Carson Wentz, and they won the Super Bowl only two years later.  The Rams traded up for Jared Goff and had one of the NFL's best offenses. 

I'm sick of stacking the roster with talent, only to watch our quarterback play drag the team down.  I would rather trade away 2-3 years of picks and get a total bust, knowing that we at least tried.

Edited by mjt328
  • Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, mjt328 said:

Until now, the argument could be made that Buffalo's #1 goal was simply breaking the playoff drought.

But now it's done.  It's over.  Just making the playoffs next year means jack squat.

I don't want a roster built with a 10 win ceiling.  I don't want a roster built for temporary success.

Free agent signings like Case Keenum or Sam Bradford will not turn us into a long-term Super Bowl contender.  Waiting on the 4th or 5th best QB prospect or punting until 2019 isn't going to cut it either.  I could give a poop less about the other holes on the roster, until the position under center is accounted for. 

The Bills need to shoot for the stars this April.  This is widely considered the best QB class in 10-15 years.  They have 4 picks in the first 2 rounds.  If they absolutely need to sell the farm for somebody they really like (Darnold, Rosen, Allen, Mayfield), then DO IT.  Don't play it safe.  Don't let failures like Robert Griffin stop you.  The Eagles traded up for Carson Wentz, and they won the Super Bowl only two years later.  The Rams traded up for Jared Goff and had one of the NFL's best offenses. 

I'm sick of stacking the roster with talent, only to watch our quarterback play drag the team down.  I would rather trade away 2-3 years of picks and get a total bust, knowing that we at least tried.

Signing Bradford, Keenum, etc would clearly not replace drafting a top QB. It’s to fill the vet QB role on the team. Can’t go into the season with Rookie draft pick and Peterman.

the only QB signing that would prevent drafting one is Cousins because he’s a 29 year old “franchise QB”. 

Edited by YoloinOhio

2 hours ago, mjt328 said:

Look, It's been six years... How many SB rings are collectively owned by the class of 2012??? -TWO. One, from a from the third rounder everyone thought was too small to be effective, the other from a third rounder that couldn't find a home!

Luck, Cousins, RGII, etc.. have done jack squat in the league thus far... A backup, trash-can journeyman who nearly walked away from the game just won it all by beating the greatest of all time. -Incidentally, also a late round pick!

What does all this tell you?

That the draft is a crap shoot?

That's LAZY thinking...It is certainly NOT... The draft is an investment in the future... The potential has to be recognized, but that potential also has to be managed, and nurtured in order to be maximized...It's not a guarantee, but it's not a crap-shoot either... It's a calculated risk...

What's been proven in recent years  is that ANY QB with the right coaching, planning, supporting cast and MINDSET, can win it all.   The question for OBD shouldn't be which young QB to draft. The question is 'how do we put it all together so the kid (and the team) can succeed'?

Edited by #34fan
  • Like (+1) 2

• 2 months later...