Nick Foles is going nowhere...

LabattBlue

43 minutes ago, horned dogs said:

Why if we're going to draft one of the project QBs anyway? Better to have a guy who has shown he can at least play in the league.

sure I agree. he was bad under Chip and Fisher. Not blaming him. That SB performance and 27TD for 2INT season tho.

Just now, Doc said:

He should threaten to sit out first 8 games.  The clock is ticking on his career and wasting it being a backup for a year would be dumb on his part. 

He's not that kind of person and he can get out of his deal for the 2019 season.  For a guy who was about to quit football, he's in a good place with a team that values him. 

• Like (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, Doc said:

He should threaten to sit out first 8 games.  The clock is ticking on his career and wasting it being a backup for a year would be dumb on his part. 

Why? They resurrected his career. He can go and play maybe 4-6 games while wentz is fully healed and if successful gets traded to the bills who give him a monster deal after he leads them to back to back to back Super Bowls 

1 minute ago, Doc said:

He's a free agent after next season.

If he sits the bench all of next season he can enter FA.......choose his situation........ and get a fat contract on the strength of his most recent work.

If he gets traded and plays in a bad situation he could have a bad year and be back on the scrap heap.

He's already kinda' lived this scenario out once.

Additionally, this is a guy that almost quit the game entirely after one bad season.   Not exactly the highest level competitor.    He isn't going to lose his mind sitting on the bench. 

• Like (+1) 1

It's funny how people are ready to give up the 12th, 22nd, 53rd, 56th, 65th, and another 2019 first round pick for Josh Rosen, but can't stomach the idea of giving up the 22nd pick alone for a QB who was just named the Superbowl MVP. To be clear, I'm not advocating giving up the 22nd pick for a player who will be a UFA next year, but I also don't want to pay a king's ransom on a QB from this particular draft. I'm just smiling at how tantalizing the unknown seems to be for some of you folks.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, JayBaller10 said:

It's funny how people are ready to give up the 12th, 22nd, 53rd, 56th, 65th, and another 2019 first round pick for Josh Rosen, but can't stomach the idea of giving up the 22nd pick alone for a QB who was just named the Superbowl MVP. To be clear, I'm not advocating giving up the 22nd pick for a player who will be a UFA next year, but I also don't want to pay a king's ransom on a QB from this particular draft. I'm just smiling at how tantalizing the unknown seems to be for some of you folks.

Yup, my feelings exactly.  Trade the 22nd and use the other picks to build up the team around Foles and emulate what he had with the Eagles. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, JayBaller10 said:

This take has merit. Some will ridicule it by saying you are overrating the MVP award, or that the book on Foles is already written. Yet those same posters would say they want no part of a player such as Jackson or Rudolph because they are a wasted pick that won't pan out. So many absolutes for things that haven't happened yet. Who would have predicted Foles' performance in the playoffs / Super Bowl ? I don't even care about the MVP , we all saw Foles do things that a Bills QB hasn't done in a long time. The chance of Foles being traded at this point is probably lower than ever. Wentz's injury is a big part of that. If the Bills get shut out of a move up for one of the big four, it's a possibility worth exploring. 

• Like (+1) 3

15 hours ago, PetermanThrew5Picks said:

sure I agree. he was bad under Chip and Fisher. Not blaming him. That SB performance and 27TD for 2INT season tho.

I'm sorry but I have to correct your statement.

Nick Foles record under Chip Kelly (2013/2014 seasons) is 14-4 as a starter.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/F/FoleNi00.htm

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, JayBaller10 said:

There's a lot of people here who "know better".

2 hours ago, Boatdrinks said:

This take has merit. Some will ridicule it by saying you are overrating the MVP award, or that the book on Foles is already written. Yet those same posters would say they want no part of a player such as Jackson or Rudolph because they are a wasted pick that won't pan out. So many absolutes for things that haven't happened yet. Who would have predicted Foles' performance in the playoffs / Super Bowl ? I don't even care about the MVP , we all saw Foles do things that a Bills QB hasn't done in a long time. The chance of Foles being traded at this point is probably lower than ever. Wentz's injury is a big part of that. If the Bills get shut out of a move up for one of the big four, it's a possibility worth exploring. 

i would like to believe that come draft night philly will be open to business and we are in a better spot for him than we are for the no2....unknown pick. we are in the best spot of any team to make a deal for foles. i think there's a plan in place depending on how the draft falls. i will be sick if they give up what is proposed to the giants. the things we could do with this roster, this year in the draft will never happen again...or any time soon.

i think a.j. has all the goods. i would love foles, but having a.j. signed we would be stupid to bend over and give up all our picks. no one knows anything about the future of any of these qbs. there is no andrew luck. we have a qb right now with 2 college championships and nfl experience, who should have won a playoff game against the steelers. the 49ners don't have that! why give up the farm?

21 hours ago, NickelCity said:

To be clear, I'm talking about a situation in which we're shut out of blue chip QBs. A dynamite ILB and Foles for our 22nd would be mighty intriguing. Myhead says he's not worth it and my heart says he has a real chance (he was at his worst with Fisher, remember). I'm just a guy with a TV, though. 

I dig your perspective Nickel !

and Fisher has always been a dink

21 hours ago, PetermanThrew5Picks said:

omg no way I'd do that.

I might.

might is a subjective word though.
Bills might add another pick by trading down and then have the luxury to make that offer.

depends on what Bills truly think of AJ and Nick. and how to get this Franchise guy in place. Perhaps they feel too many holes, and too far to move up for a ) solid ( risk  lol at  2, 3 , 4 or whatever

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, JayBaller10 said:

I would puke if we paid that for Rosen.  I also don't want to trade #22 pick to Eagles for Foles.  I wouldnt hate it, but I dont want to trade a first round pick for a QB with one good season and 2 hot games in a 6 year career.  And the good season was 4 years ago.  

If we got Foles for one of our 2nd round picks...I would be more ok with it.  But I dont see him as a long term answer, and I am cool with AJ right now and rather play him with more upside and also draft a rookie.  But I dont want to mortgage our future for a rookie QB, stay at 12 and either take a guy there or move up to 6, 7, 8, 9, or 10 if one we covet is slipping there and get him for a cheaper trade then getting into top 5.  

Steve DeBerg once had a season too with an insane TD to INT ratio...that didnt make him worth a first round pick.  Foles as of now hasn't shown anymore than Steve DeBerg did in his one season.  In fact, Foles 2 follow up seasons stunk.  

Hell even in 2018 he played 6 games...in 3 of those games he averaged 149 yards per game, had ZERO TD's and 2 INT's and some fumbles.  All everyone wants to talk about is 2 hot games while ignoring the rest of the body of work.

You could do a lot worse than Foles I am sure, but I want better than that and want the upside of a rookie/AJ combo instead.  But I also dont want to trade a fortune for a rookie and prefer a cheaper trade up or stay put.

Edited by Alphadawg7
  • Like (+1) 2

On 2/7/2018 at 9:08 AM, LabattBlue said:

Why would the Eagles even entertain trading him?

1 - He just proved in the playoffs how valuable an above average backup is.

2 - He is on a team friendly deal for next year.

3 - Most important...will Wentz be ready for the 2018 season, and even if he does start in the opener,  how long before he is 100%, or what if he has a setback?

If Foles got traded I'm 100% sure he gets a new deal with that team or holds out. If he stays with the Eagles why would he not want to cash in on his playoff and super bowl performance. 

If he stays with the Eagles and does hold out how can the Eagles pay him with being so close to the cap.

I see the Eagles trading him if he holds out for a 2nd rd pick.

On 3/24/2018 at 9:51 PM, PetermanThrew5Picks said:

I like that idea (cause I want my stud MLB).. but man the Eagles get a steal with that haha

Eagles have the leverage of course

On 3/25/2018 at 7:26 PM, Alphadawg7 said:

I would puke if we paid that for Rosen.  I also don't want to trade #22 pick to Eagles for Foles.  I wouldnt hate it, but I dont want to trade a first round pick for a QB with one good season and 2 hot games in a 6 year career.  And the good season was 4 years ago.  

If we got Foles for one of our 2nd round picks...I would be more ok with it.  But I dont see him as a long term answer, and I am cool with AJ right now and rather play him with more upside and also draft a rookie.  But I dont want to mortgage our future for a rookie QB, stay at 12 and either take a guy there or move up to 6, 7, 8, 9, or 10 if one we covet is slipping there and get him for a cheaper trade then getting into top 5.  

I have considered that getting AJ shuts down the avenue for Foles. Are Bills thinking they have a rough gem already ?  is their goal to actually trade up this year, and or nail the guy of the future.

Before McCarron i thought Foles was the answer. Now, i am not sure Bills are interested

Edited by 3rdand12

I think AJ nixes all possibility we both draft a QB and trade for Foles.

HOWEVER:  Beane has said they will take the best player on their board at 12 if they stay put, and it may not be a QB.  And I think there is truth in that, and could take a top LB there if there isnt a QB they like more.  

So if that happens, and we keep going in the draft and get into the 2nd round and still haven't drafted a QB, I think its quite possible they call Eagles about Foles for say one of our 2nds to pair him with AJ.  Then AJ is their upside play this year and they let AJ and Foles battle it out and see what happens.  

So I dont think Foles is completely off the table, but I would say he only comes into the conversation if the draft is falling in a way where we haven't take a QB yet and scooped other prospects higher on our board.  But I still think plan A is a QB in the first.