sharpe

Ditka 

Witten 

Mackey

Newsome

Kieth Jackson 

Casper 

Winslow 

Gronk is hovering around Vernon Davis Greg Olsen and Jimmy Graham territory right now in production... and that matters 

if he keeps playing, sure he’s got a high probability to go first ballot, maybe he can even ascend to GOAT but if he quits now he is likely lost behind guys who out-produce him. 

This just sounds like you dont like him to me.   Break it down per game and show us how yards and TD's are in Olsen and Vernon Davis and Graham territory.   If he quits now it affects him but people can and will still consider him among the best ever.  Just like Jim Brown who quit early.  People do remember how dominant you are during the time you did play.   Terrell Davis is in the HOF and he had maybe 4 good years.

For example Vernon Davis has played 13 years vs 8 for Gronk, Grong has like 20% more TD's while playing half the games yet you consider that "in the same territory"

Gronk's per catch average is historical.

Edited by mattynh

21 hours ago, NoSaint said:

Is he though?

What about a guy like jimmy graham getting 3500 yards and 36 tds over a 3 year stretch? 

Or gates much of his career?

gronk is a game changer no doubt— but I think you can make some interesting cases. 

The numbers don't do Gronk justice, largely in part to injuries. I don't think any tight end in his time has been as dominant a force both as a pass catcher and blocker. Jimmy Graham and Gates have been solid pass catchers, but they do not block (especially Graham). 

A couple quick stats: Gronk has more touchdowns than Witten and Shannon Sharpe and he's played for fewer years than those guys. He's averaging 15.1 yards per reception, which is comparable to Randy Moss and Julio Jones. When you consider how many redzone targets he gets, that only makes his YPC number even more impressive. 

6 hours ago, mattynh said:

This just sounds like you dont like him to me.   Break it down per game and show us how yards and TD's are in Olsen and Vernon Davis and Graham territory.   If he quits now it affects him but people can and will still consider him among the best ever.  Just like Jim Brown who quit early.  People do remember how dominant you are during the time you did play.   Terrell Davis is in the HOF and he had maybe 4 good years.

For example Vernon Davis has played 13 years vs 8 for Gronk, Grong has like 20% more TD's while playing half the games yet you consider that "in the same territory"

Gronk's per catch average is historical.

Nope.  Don’t like or dislike him. Just refuse to consider him the greatest tight end to play. He’s great, but there have been other greats, guys that redefined the position into what it has become for him. 

He’s been dominant but he’s also had durability issues.  

There are guys guys who were as dominant as he, but for longer. 

It’s unfortunate People have such short memories...  canton doesn’t though 

Anyone who doesn't think Gronk is among the top 3 TEs of all time, if not the best is Doug Stanhope high. To me it always comes down to a one game scenario. If I had to pick on TE to play one game, it's a no brainer, it's Gronk. So many have a fetish with stats alone, lacking the ability to comprehend the impact a guy has on a game. When Gronk plays, he's an unstoppable force and his presence changes games for both the Pats and the opposition. His per game stats blow the rest away. Gronk averages 70 yards and .75 TDs per game. Blows both Gonzalez and Gates out of the water (go do the homework, it's not ever close). His best season (1300+ yards and 17 TDs makes the best of these two, both elite, pale in comparison) If I'm building a team and can pick any TE ever, he's the only guy worth it. Anyone on the older eras isn't worth the debate. It's like arguing a that the best Model T was as good as a 2018 Ferrari 488. Everyone today is better than everyone in the 70s.

But he's a Patriot and the Bills homers and haters go out of their way to cry in their Blue Lights and can never accept reality. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Big C said:

The numbers don't do Gronk justice, largely in part to injuries. I don't think any tight end in his time has been as dominant a force both as a pass catcher and blocker. Jimmy Graham and Gates have been solid pass catchers, but they do not block (especially Graham). 

A couple quick stats: Gronk has more touchdowns than Witten and Shannon Sharpe and he's played for fewer years than those guys. He's averaging 15.1 yards per reception, which is comparable to Randy Moss and Julio Jones. When you consider how many redzone targets he gets, that only makes his YPC number even more impressive. 

Im not largely disagreeing - but I don’t think it’s quite the landslide that was portrayed. I agree he’s likely the best blocker of the receiving stars (especially as a handful of them were basketball players) but I believe that’s deeper down the list when compiling a ranking of how tight ends impact a game. Not to be ignored but I think there are a few similarly impactful guys —

which does leave things like blocking (pro for gronk), health (con) quality of qb play (all have good but gronk the best) as fodder for debate. Gronk provably wins but I don’t think it’s a “no one even a close second” type of conversation 

6 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

Im not largely disagreeing - but I don’t think it’s quite the landslide that was portrayed. I agree he’s likely the best blocker of the receiving stars (especially as a handful of them were basketball players) but I believe that’s deeper down the list when compiling a ranking of how tight ends impact a game. Not to be ignored but I think there are a few similarly impactful guys —

which does leave things like blocking (pro for gronk), health (con) quality of qb play (all have good but gronk the best) as fodder for debate. Gronk provably wins but I don’t think it’s a “no one even a close second” type of conversation 

I get what you mean. I think when it's all said and done Gonzalez is still #1, but I think there is no question that in his time in the league no other TE has been as dominant in all facets of the game. Having Brady helps, but the offensive gameplanning changed a lot when they added Gronk to the roster too. 

4 hours ago, zonabb said:

Anyone who doesn't think Gronk is among the top 3 TEs of all time, if not the best is Doug Stanhope high. To me it always comes down to a one game scenario. If I had to pick on TE to play one game, it's a no brainer, it's Gronk. So many have a fetish with stats alone, lacking the ability to comprehend the impact a guy has on a game. When Gronk plays, he's an unstoppable force and his presence changes games for both the Pats and the opposition. His per game stats blow the rest away. Gronk averages 70 yards and .75 TDs per game. Blows both Gonzalez and Gates out of the water (go do the homework, it's not ever close). His best season (1300+ yards and 17 TDs makes the best of these two, both elite, pale in comparison) If I'm building a team and can pick any TE ever, he's the only guy worth it. Anyone on the older eras isn't worth the debate. It's like arguing a that the best Model T was as good as a 2018 Ferrari 488. Everyone today is better than everyone in the 70s.

But he's a Patriot and the Bills homers and haters go out of their way to cry in their Blue Lights and can never accept reality. 

Best post ever lol

4 hours ago, zonabb said:

Agree Gronk is the best TE of all time.

He has basically invented his own position that previously didn't exist in the sport.

He combines huge size and strength with fast enough speed and great hands/athleticism.

He's a slow, really good WR in a huge body.

Almost all other Tight Ends are just Tight Ends.

11 hours ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

Nope.  Don’t like or dislike him. Just refuse to consider him the greatest tight end to play. He’s great, but there have been other greats, guys that redefined the position into what it has become for him. 

He’s been dominant but he’s also had durability issues.  

There are guys guys who were as dominant as he, but for longer. 

It’s unfortunate People have such short memories...  canton doesn’t though 

Comparing a TE today to one from the seventies is hard to do, the game and that position has changed quite a bit.   He definitely has durability issues.   But all I am saying is if you were to look at production per game or production per year even (which would hit him for his durability) I think you will see his yards and TD's per game/season is at the top of the list.   To me he is the hardest TE to cover I have ever seen.  He catches balls and scores TD's when he is completely covered, he just boxes them out with that enormous torso.

Edited by mattynh

32 minutes ago, mattynh said:

Comparing a TE today to one from the seventies is hard to do, the game and that position has changed quite a bit.   He definitely has durability issues.   But all I am saying is if you were to look at production per game or production per year even (which would hit him for his durability) I think you will see his yards and TD's per game/season is at the top of the list.   To me he is the hardest TE to cover I have ever seen.  He catches balls and scores TD's when he is completely covered, he just boxes them out with that enormous torso.

I’ve watched Antonio gates box people out for a decade. 

7 minutes ago, Doc said:

He'll eventually make the HOF.  Might take him a few years, like it did for Terrell Davis, but he'll get in. 

This is where I think he is if he retires now. 

10 hours ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

This is perfect for him.

Absolutely.

I was going to suggest the same thing, but figured some jokers in here would say the WWE isn't a real career option.  He should absolutely go to the WWE, work up through the minor leagues (it'll be pretty quick for him) to develop on the mic and then transition to acting.