Trade Tyrod

6 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Why do you? Trade the contract to Arizona as is and let them think about the option.

For all the people saying "but three day window"..... do you not think that applies to the Smith trade too? Teams work these things out in advance of the league year all the time. 

Because Taylor could be cut by the Bills. So if you are a team considering Taylor, wouldn't you wait rather than trade an asset for a player who could be free in a few days? (And thanks to Hapless for setting me straight on Taylor's contact.)

2 hours ago, SectionC3 said:

Not necessarily, right? Doesn't the roster bonus (or whatever bonus is owed) vest on the third or the fourth day of the league year?  In that event, the trade could be accomplished after the opening of the league year but before the Bills would become liable for the roster bonus?

Again, see above.

1 minute ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Because Taylor could be cut by the Bills. So if you are a team considering Taylor, wouldn't you wait rather than trade an asset for a player who could be free in a few days? (And thanks to Hapless for setting me straight on Taylor's contact.)

That really depends on how you value Tyrod vs the other likely FAs doesn't it?  Let's say for arguments sake that a team like Arizona with an older roster decides it wants to make one last run rather than blow the whole thing up.  They have no Quarterback but they think Kirk Cousins likely $30m per year is too rich for their tastes.  They then come down to do I want Tyrod Taylor, Teddy Bridgewater, Josh McCown or Sam Bradford and consider Tyrod to be the most reliable of the lot and potentially even the best fit for that offense.  For the sake of a 4th round pick you get exclusive rights to him and don't end up in a bidding war against other teams.  That to me represents value.  The Chiefs ultimately would have had to cut Smith if nobody had traded for him because their cap situation is desperate but rather than get into that bidding war where they might lose him the 'skins flipped a 3rd round pick and a player to KC for exclusive rights to negotiate an extension with Smith.

These things happen pretty regularly in the NFL. If teams place the right value on getting in before the competition they trade for players, especially QBs, who might otherwise of been cut.  

1 minute ago, GunnerBill said:

That really depends on how you value Tyrod vs the other likely FAs doesn't it?  Let's say for arguments sake that a team like Arizona with an older roster decides it wants to make one last run rather than blow the whole thing up.  They have no Quarterback but they think Kirk Cousins likely $30m per year is too rich for their tastes.  They then come down to do I want Tyrod Taylor, Teddy Bridgewater, Josh McCown or Sam Bradford and consider Tyrod to be the most reliable of the lot and potentially even the best fit for that offense.  For the sake of a 4th round pick you get exclusive rights to him and don't end up in a bidding war against other teams.  That to me represents value.  The Chiefs ultimately would have had to cut Smith if nobody had traded for him because their cap situation is desperate but rather than get into that bidding war where they might lose him the 'skins flipped a 3rd round pick and a player to KC for exclusive rights to negotiate an extension with Smith.

These things happen pretty regularly in the NFL. If teams place the right value on getting in before the competition they trade for players, especially QBs, who might otherwise of been cut.  

If that happens, then yes. But if you'd rather take your chances, then no. I seriously doubt the Bills can get anything for Taylor unless they pay his bonus and lock him up. That's a bit of poker Beane has to play in March.

Just now, PromoTheRobot said:

If that happens, then yes. But if you'd rather take your chances, then no. I seriously doubt the Bills can get anything for Taylor unless they pay his bonus and lock him up. That's a bit of poker Beane has to play in March.

I think they more likely get something trading him before and allowing the new team to negotiate with TT over his 2018 salary and beyond.  

Taylor was originally a 6th round pick out of college.  After being a starter in the league two years with awful receivers like "Hands like Stones Jones", a run-oriented offense, and not throwing a lot of dumb picks he has to be worth a third. 

Edited by Badthingsman

3 hours ago, OldTimer1960 said:

I don't think that there will be any trade market for Taylor.  Remember he could have been a FA last offseason and his agent judged his market value so low that he took a reduced deal to stay with the Bills.  His performance last year did not increase his value.

Shhh

15 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Great minds.

Per Buffalo Rumblings 

If Buffalo were to arrange a trade that would be consummated on the first day of the league year as Kansas City and Washington have done, the Bills would avoid paying Taylor’s $6 million roster bonus due a few days into the league year. That would clear $16 million in combined salary and bonus money owed to Taylor in 2018 and leave Buffalo with just $2.08 million in dead cap for Tyrod.    

Git R Dun !!! 

• Like (+1) 1

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/tyrod-taylor-will-be-a-prime-trade-chip-for-the-bills-in-the-offseason/

(if you start a new thread on this post  you better give me partial credit ;):D)

Tyrod Taylor will be a prime trade chip for the Bills in the offseason

Several NFL execs said they foresee a decent trade market for Taylor, who just turned 28 in August, this offseason, and expect interest to form at the combine. Not all teams will be in line to draft a quarterback they like, some will invariably prefer Taylor, who has played in 52 games (38 starts) with 47 touchdowns to just 17 interceptions (his 1.5 career interception percentage puts him atop league leaders) with a very solid QB rating of 92.1, while also averaging 5.5 yards per carry with 10 rushing touchdowns.

Besides Brees, the free-agent class of quarterbacks is hardly overwhelming. Sam Bradford is hurt again, Teddy Bridgewater hasn't played in two years, Kirk Cousins is virtually uncertain to get tagged again -- franchise or transition -- and Case Keenum may be the next best available if he doesn't sign an extension.

While teams could conceivably wait for the Bills to release Taylor -- given that looming roster bonus -- the ability to land him at a reasonable contract and secure his rights for at least 2018 will likely lead to someone giving Buffalo something of reasonable value for the quarterback, the GMs predicted

I made an update to their story to  make it up to date

Edited by ShadyBillsFan
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/tyrod-taylor-will-be-a-prime-trade-chip-for-the-bills-in-the-offseason/

(if you start a new thread on this post  you better give me partial credit ;):D)

Tyrod Taylor will be a prime trade chip for the Bills in the offseason

Several NFL execs said they foresee a decent trade market for Taylor, who just turned 28 in August, this offseason, and expect interest to form at the combine. Not all teams will be in line to draft a quarterback they like, some will invariably prefer Taylor, who has played in 52 games (38 starts) with 47 touchdowns to just 17 interceptions (his 1.5 career interception percentage puts him atop league leaders) with a very solid QB rating of 92.1, while also averaging 5.5 yards per carry with 10 rushing touchdowns.

Besides Brees, the free-agent class of quarterbacks is hardly overwhelming. Sam Bradford is hurt again, Teddy Bridgewater hasn't played in two years, Kirk Cousins is virtually uncertain to get tagged again -- franchise or transition -- and Case Keenum may be the next best available if he doesn't sign an extension.

While teams could conceivably wait for the Bills to release Taylor -- given that looming roster bonus -- the ability to land him at a reasonable contract and secure his rights for at least 2018 will likely lead to someone giving Buffalo something of reasonable value for the quarterback, the GMs predicted

I made an update to their story to  make it up to date

Respectfully, I can't envision a "decent" trade market for Taylor.  I'm not a TT hater at all, but the reason that the Bills want to move on from the 28 year old QB that they already have is that they know he is, at best, a low-end starter.  I'm going to be surprised if they can get even a 5th round pick for him.