Eric Wood “retirement” press conference

YoloinOhio

2 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Spare me the feel-good narrative. Today it's all about honoring Wood. Next week it will all be about "cap jail!" $3MM in cap space could be the difference in signing a needed free agent. Again, are you so willing to give up that cap space just to be all touchy-feely?  

It's 3 million dollars. They took on way more dead money by trading Dareus and no one was talking cap jail or any of that. That's a bigger impact on the cap, and created an even bigger one than this injury.

Just now, jmc12290 said:

I haven't seen how they can recoup much more than that going forward, but I haven't read everything.  I was responding to the hypothetical amount.

I outlined it based on the buffalo rumbling breakdown. With not paying signing bonus and doing a post June retirement, they would get back over 6.5 million back this year from the projected 10 right now. 

1 minute ago, Ol Dirty B said:

It's 3 million dollars. They took on way more dead money by trading Dareus and no one was talking cap jail or any of that. That's a bigger impact on the cap, and created an even bigger one than this injury.

Maybe I'm missing something. Isn't this about saving $3MM in cap for 2017 by waiting for June 1? It's not about taking $3MM out of Wood's pocket.

1 minute ago, Ittakestime said:

I outlined it based on the buffalo rumbling breakdown. With not paying signing bonus and doing a post June retirement, they would get back over 6.5 million back this year from the projected 10 right now. 

Then I'd like to see us find a year without $6.5M to spare.  I think you'd see the same result.

9 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Maybe I'm missing something. Isn't this about saving $3MM in cap for 2017 by waiting for June 1? It's not about taking $3MM out of Wood's pocket.

Ok I misunderstood then. I thought some of this was about recouping bonus money.

My bad.

32 minutes ago, The_Dude said:

I own and run a company. I got my ‘there’s’ down quite well. 

What I don’t do is proofread something for an internet message board. 

I only proofread when I care about what the audience thinks of me. I do not care of what people here think of me. 

I realize i used the wrong ‘there’ earlier on, but one thing I’ve learned is that semantics on a message board ain’t worth my time....cause it’s a freaking message board.

"Your kink is OK"

I see this kind of post here regularly.

It puzzles me.

If you don't care what people think of you why would one bother to post on a board?

34 minutes ago, Ol Dirty B said:

Ok I misunderstood then. I thought some of this was about recouping bonus money.

My bad.

That is what has been put out in the news, that the Bills are wanting Wood to repay some of his bonus money as he would have to do if he retired by personal choice

6 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

"Your kink is OK"

I see this kind of post here regularly.

It puzzles me.

If you don't care what people think of you why would one bother to post on a board?

That is what has been put out in the news, that the Bills are wanting Wood to repay some of his bonus money as he would have to do if he retired by personal choice

Listening to Scoop & Bulldog today, they had a guy on from Sportrac. They sounded pretty disappointed when their guest gave a perfectly reasonable explanation for the weird PC, that both sides were caught off guard and needed to work out details to make sure the Bills didn't get burned on the cap hit.

In fact S&P were so disappointed that they didn't have a reason to hammer the Bills, they started asking the guest about hypotheticals. 

I'm glad I live in Vegas and can easily ignore whatever the heck Schoop and Bulldog is. Sounds like the worst of sports talk radio. And since sports talk radio is the nadir of all entertainment genres, I can safely declare that I'm not missing anything. 

9 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Listening to Scoop & Bulldog today, they had a guy on from Sportrac. They sounded pretty disappointed when their guest gave a perfectly reasonable explanation for the weird PC, that both sides were caught off guard and needed to work out details to make sure the Bills didn't get burned on the cap hit.

In fact S&P were so disappointed that they didn't have a reason to hammer the Bills, they started asking the guest about hypotheticals. 

I can't ever recall another player retiring prior to the end of the league year before.  It's as if Wood expected to file retirement papers tomorrow and that would be the end of it.  That's not the team's fault.

1 hour ago, MDFan said:

I think they are actually handling this situation quite well, given the circumstances. 

It amazes me, the complaining almost as if just to complain. Furthermore, of said complainers,  I'd imagine they'd be hard pressed to even understand the issues at hand considering no one seems 100% what exactly the issues are and what the options to deal with them could be. Until options are established as well as a certain established high road is present to even compare the coming decisions to.... I'm not sure how anyone can dog anything...

2 hours ago, 3rdand12 said:

wrong word. it is associated with developmentally disabled these days. And the word has not become one of the more humorous and acceptable ones as you mention.

Like football stats. Context is everything, and although i like Dude as much as most of us here. Not as much as Gugny of course.
He was using his pissed off voice when he said it. read his previous post.

Chill Dude

my Mom. and I am over fifty you sicko

I agree with you E

I was attempting to bring some levity to the discussion 

Apparently I don't have your talent for it 

1 hour ago, The_Dude said:

No. As I stated this is a message board....it’s literally not important enough to proofread over. Calling people out over a grammatical error on a message board is so lame. 

I take it the C is for ‘c u next Tuesday.’ I get it. 

i agree.  The grammar police use use issues as a defense to their limited ideas 

13 minutes ago, gobills1212 said:

It amazes me, the complaining almost as if just to complain. Furthermore, of said complainers,  I'd imagine they'd be hard pressed to even understand the issues at hand considering no one seems 100% what exactly the issues are and what the options to deal with them could be. Until options are established as well as a certain established high road is present to even compare the coming decisions to.... I'm not sure how anyone can dog anything...

are you serious?  How can you have all of these people and the press show up and not have the details firmed up.  This is squarely on Beane.  Let's not forget there were issues in Carolina between the players and the front office.  Google some of Steve Smiths comments.  

1 hour ago, jmc12290 said:

They mishandled the cap by extending Wood.  They can't undo that, it was a bad extension.  

Kicking $3M down the road is a death sentence now?  Do you pay attention to the modern capology today?  

I'd love for you to point out 1 year in the last decade when the Bills didn't have $3M+ in cap space to spare.  Just one.  Otherwise, you're being an ass over chump change.

I agree.  This is the type of things that players remember.   Why are they haggling over this.  What should have been a nice day turns into a shite show 

17 minutes ago, Steptide said:

I have what might be a dumb question. If the bills were to hire him as some type of assistant coach and pay him his salary, does that count against the cap? 

No. But they still have to deal with the cap implications of his 2018 salary and already paid signing bonus. 

5 hours ago, Ittakestime said:

The Bills have already given Wood more than enough money.  The same Wood that yelled at Maybin about giving money back.

The Bills have no problem paying the 4.5 million in base.  The problem is that the signing bonus was based on him actually being able to play.  Guess what, he isn't playing.  They have every right to go after it.  Let's not sit here and act like Wood is struggling.

This is seriously like the 11th time you've started one of your anti-Eric Wood arguments with "let's not sit here..."

let's not sit here and pretend that your anti-Eric Wood / "this regime is racist!" nonsense isn't borderline insane.

1 hour ago, baskingridgebillsfan said:

i agree.  The grammar police use use issues as a defense to their limited ideas 

are you serious?  How can you have all of these people and the press show up and not have the details firmed up.  This is squarely on Beane.  Let's not forget there were issues in Carolina between the players and the front office.  Google some of Steve Smiths comments.  

I agree.  This is the type of things that players remember.   Why are they haggling over this.  What should have been a nice day turns into a shite show 

I dunno, if this gets you riled up I'd hate to see you when the Bills have a real problem..