Post Senior Bowl Mock Draft

wppete

2 hours ago, wppete said:

Here is my post Senior Bowl Mock Draft. I can see Mcbean doing something like this depending on what they can do in free agency. 

1st Rnd - DT Vita Vea, Washington 

1st Rnd - DT Harrison Phillips, Stanford

2nd Rnd - C Billy Price, Ohio State

2nd Rnd - QB Kyle Lauletta, Richmond

3rd Rnd - G Will Hernandez, UTEP 

4th Rnd - RB Kalen Ballage, Arizona State

5th Rnd - BPA

5th Rnd - BPA

Looks good to me. I think Ballage will be a second round pick when it is all set and done. I would run to the podium in round 4 though. He is the perfect compliment to Shady. 

10 minutes ago, Billiever72 said:

You really don't want Kalen Ballage. I have watched him out here in AZ for 3 years. He's got the size,build and speed you want, but he is soft as pudding with the way he plays the position. 

It depends what you want. I don't really need my RBs running guys over. Thats a recipe for injuries and a short career. He is a one cut, speed guy. I think he would compliment Shady very well. He is a better version of Karlos Williams. 

One of the reasons I like a trade up or a trade down is that down the road you really would have a hard time keeping both guys. The fifth year option would be pretty expensive as first rounders and contracts would be coming up for both guys who both play the defensive tackle spot. I might go DT and DE. 

Cleveland is on the verge of that issue. Because they have had so many first rounders the last few years, those fifth year options are all going to come at the same time. 

I love a trade up for a quarterback. If I can't trade up, I make a pick at 21 and trade down with 22 to accumulate more picks. Just my 2 cents. 

44 minutes ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

No, he may not be Ngata, but that doesn’t mean he isn’t the top DT in the draft.  IMO, you’re selling him short.  He played all over the line this season, and his final college year stats are quite similar to Ngata’s.  I bet he goes in the top 15.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/draft-is-vita-vea-the-next-haloti-ngata

Im not trying to sell him short, but stack him up relatively speaking. Ngata blocked 7 kicks vs Veas 2? In college. I had Ngata as a top 10 DT and without hindsight wanted him or sims in 06’, Ngata was my draft crush with Sims a big #2. In 04’ Ben was #1 IMO and unrealistic and Eli I thought would go 1 or 2 with Ben.  Rivers, Harrris, Udeze, Vilma and Wilfork I wanted in that order with Wilfork being the most realistic as I saw it, a top 20 grade with the other four off the board I thought pre draft. Wilfork, run stuffer with some pocket collapsing ability strength wise. Vea, run stuffer with some pcket collapsing abliltiy strength wise, top 20 pick skill set wise. Vea and Ngata are compatible I agree, Ngata had a better first step athletically coming out and that separates them as I see it and it showed blocking kicks in college. I thought Ngata should have gone top 10 (Buffalo was unrealistic I thought at the time), Vea top 15 sounds right but his skill set doesn’t fit today’s NFL that well ( he is worthy), so falling down to 21 is plausible, similarly to Wilfork who fell to 21 because of his inability to shoot the gap, like Vea, I just think Ngata separates himself for his size by being able to do so better than either Vea or Wilfork. 

24 minutes ago, BuffaloBillsGospel said:

Lauletta is like a 5th round prospect, he's now vaulted into the 2nd round because of the Senior Bowl where they 're not even aloud to blitz the QB?

If I’m not mistaken, they don’t even let them blitz the QB silently.  

Edited by transient
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

I assume you mean Vita Vea.  He’s an animal, man.  Could play zero, one, or three tech.  Instant starter.  And he’ll be long gone by 21, so you won’t have to worry about him struggling for Buffalo.

I’m just saying I think he maxed out in college and won’t be the animal you say in the league.

Like Danny Shelton 

7 hours ago, SoFFacet said:

Strongly disagree. DT/DT at 21/22 isn't a bad idea at all. Dareus traded, Kyle old/retiring, rest of the guys are all graded outside the top-100 in the league. It would actually be a very Carolina-esque thing to do. Wouldn't be surprised at all. 

And "Weak armed project QB" is a slanderous description of Lauletta. His arm is fine. He also happens to be accurate and intelligent and throws with great anticipation. On many lists he will climb over the flawed table scraps (Jackson, Rudolph) that Bills fans have been debating picking at 21. He would be an excellent 2nd round pick if we don't manage to trade up to the top-5 for Rosen/Darnold/Mayfield. 

Sorry to say this is one of the worst posts I've ever seen from you. 

I'll respond by saying that your endorsement of a waste of draft capital is nonsensical with so many other needs on the team.  Lauletta as a 2nd round pick is a laughable overreaction to his Senior Bowl performance with many of the best CFB not on the scene in Mobile. 

• Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, John from Hemet said:

I am looking for a resergence of Miller eliminating the drastic need for a interior OL as the starters will be set.

We really need a LB that fits McD's scheme

Unless we know that Glenn can play RT, we need a RT

Agree on LB

10 hours ago, 1ZAYDAY1 said:

Not a fan of Via. Not a fan of Hernandez. 

Via I think get away with a lot of things just due to strength. He kind of a one trick pony and I feel he will struggle in the League.

Hernandez I feel just doesn’t have the length.

So who do you want?

10 hours ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

This selection of picks should be mocked with two DTs in the first and a weak armed project QB in the 2nd.  Wouldn't be a wise way to expend draft capital IMO. 

Holy crap we agree on something :)

10 hours ago, JaCrispy said:

That position is overrated 

I heard the Bills' front office has a job for you, since you seem to be on the same page as them!! 

• Haha (+1) 2

8 hours ago, BuffaloBillsGospel said:

Lauletta is like a 5th round prospect, he's now vaulted into the 2nd round because of the Senior Bowl where they 're not even aloud to blitz the QB?

I don't follow college football.  But my understanding is that the overall evaluation of him was good accuracy, good ability to read the D, may not have enough arm to hit tight windows against NFL safeties, floats the ball when he's under pressure - developmental prospect, 3-4th round.  Like Peterman, his showing at the Senior Bowl has brought him attention.  But I don't really think it should make him a 2nd round pick.

I defer to people who follow actual college football during the year, but I think the Senior bowl is a bit of an artificial environment to jump a guy up 2 rounds.

Certainly will get a DT with one of the picks. No way do you draft both. If they don’t move up to get a QB then these are the positions I’d like them to target.

DT (Vea or Hurst if there)

LB or CB (depending on FA)

QB (assuming you landed a FA QB)

RB (Michel from UGA)

C (James Daniel from University of Iowa)

Remaining picks for depth (LB, TE, WR, G)

This gives us at least three starters and Michel would be a great 1-2 punch with Shady. 

Of course what they do in FA can change needs.

IMO keep Glenn at LT (if healthy)and resign Henderson for depth.  Dawkins at RT. Groy or Daniels at Center. Richie and Miller at guards. If Daniels starts at C you have the flexibility to move Groy to guard.

28 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I don't follow college football.  But my understanding is that the overall evaluation of him was good accuracy, good ability to read the D, may not have enough arm to hit tight windows against NFL safeties, floats the ball when he's under pressure - developmental prospect, 3-4th round.  Like Peterman, his showing at the Senior Bowl has brought him attention.  But I don't really think it should make him a 2nd round pick.

I defer to people who follow actual college football during the year, but I think the Senior bowl is a bit of an artificial environment to jump a guy up 2 rounds.

Just my opinion (and note I’m almost certainly higher on Lauletta than most are):

I think he’s in the conversation for most accurate QB in the entire draft and he’s very comfortable moving in the pocket and throwing with anticipation. Before this week, I had him as my #6 QB and roughly a 4th round pick. 

The big question was arm strength, but he answered that question this week. His arm strength didn’t look any worse than Mayfield’s. In fact, he threw a number of darts throughout the week and in the actual game.

I view him as a guy that has average arm strength by NFL standards and very good accuracy. Anticipation is obviously a big deal too. He’s still my #6 QB, but I think he’s clearly distanced himself from the rest of the pack at this point and think a 2nd round pick is deserved. I could see someone else taking him before Buffalo has a chance in the 2nd in all honesty.

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Well said, thanks for the thoughts!

44 minutes ago, DCOrange said:

Just my opinion (and note I’m almost certainly higher on Lauletta than most are):

I think he’s in the conversation for most accurate QB in the entire draft and he’s very comfortable moving in the pocket and throwing with anticipation. Before this week, I had him as my #6 QB and roughly a 4th round pick. 

The big question was arm strength, but he answered that question this week. His arm strength didn’t look any worse than Mayfield’s. In fact, he threw a number of darts throughout the week and in the actual game.

I view him as a guy that has average arm strength by NFL standards and very good accuracy. Anticipation is obviously a big deal too. He’s still my #6 QB, but I think he’s clearly distanced himself from the rest of the pack at this point and think a 2nd round pick is deserved. I could see someone else taking him before Buffalo has a chance in the 2nd in all honesty.

Then if the Bills scouts agree with you I hope they go for him.   I do think arm strength, unlike "pocket presence", is something that can be taught.

Aside: Did you read that cringe-worthy piece extolling Lauletta as "scientifically designed for Bill Belichek"?  I'd look for it to link but I haven't digested breakfast and reading it made me wanna hurl.

4 hours ago, KGun12TD said:

So, 2 LBs in free agency?

Know nothin' about the DT and LB in the draft, but my common-sense feeling is that you'll get more bang for your bucks if you put a wily veteran (even one with fading or lesser athleticism) next to a talented rookie than you will if you go rookie-rookie vet-vet

8 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Then if the Bills scouts agree with you I hope they go for him.   I do think arm strength, unlike "pocket presence", is something that can be taught.

Aside: Did you read that cringe-worthy piece extolling Lauletta as "scientifically designed for Bill Belichek"?  I'd look for it to link but I haven't digested breakfast and reading it made me wanna hurl.

Know nothin' about the DT and LB in the draft, but my common-sense feeling is that you'll get more bang for your bucks if you put a wily veteran (even one with fading or lesser athleticism) next to a talented rookie than you will if you go rookie-rookie vet-vet

I didn’t read it, but I’ve seen enough people talking about it to get the gist. Before this week, I thought he made a lot of sense for the Patriots and Falcons in particular so it doesn’t surprise me. 

14 hours ago, wppete said:

Here is my post Senior Bowl Mock Draft. I can see Mcbean doing something like this depending on what they can do in free agency. 

5th Rnd - BPA

5th Rnd - BPA

If we come away from this draft with Vea, Price and Lauletta or White I would be very happy as long as we have a solid starter at QB through a trade/FA.

14 hours ago, wppete said:

5th Rnd - BPA

5th Rnd - BPA

I'd buy that except we need a stud offensive tackle.  Groy can play center.

• Like (+1) 1

45 minutes ago, Formerly Allan in MD said:

I'd buy that except we need a stud offensive tackle.  Groy can play center.

I agree. But I like Billy Price. Do you think Groy can play guard? I guess if he could he would have been starting at Guard last year.