Definitely a market for the XFL

No self-expression and no one with a criminal record (yeah, right)? It's Robot leaue!

It'll be interesting to see what happens, for sure.  He's right that the media landscape has changed since the old XFL, but I wonder if digital outlets will be willing to pay to stream a start up league? Can he get sponsors?  Where's the revenue coming from?

I'm sure it'll be fun - hopefully something between College and the NFL.  I think the problem will be quality of play though, the NFL has the money and the advantage.  If the league budget is $100MM, what's the player salary?

I’ll watch with an open mind.

You can count me among those who’s interest in the NFL wanes a little bit more every year. I’m pretty much to the point where I only watch the Bills anyways, the spotty officiating, commercials and drawn out games that have turned me off over time. The political stuff, couldn’t really care less about, but that’s just me.

I’ll give XFL a chance. It could possibly open the NFL’s eyes to some changes it should make to keep the younger generations interested. Soon, no one will want to spend 3+ hours watching a game.

12 hours ago, sven233 said:

Just give me a league with solid football and common sense based rules. 

There is a bigger player pool than ever before with a ton of quality players that aren't in the NFL.  I am actually very confident the quality of play will be drastically better than it was 20 years ago.  Where the XFL can succeed is in the "watchability" of the game.  Use common sense when it comes to catches, turnovers, etc.  If that requires no replay, then fine!  If there is a questionable play that can't be overturned in real time without zooming in on every little detail, it stands....period.  No micro-analyzing every single still frame to come up with a ruling (that is probably wrong anyway).  What's the old saying?  If it walks like a duck, talks like a duck, it's a duck.  In this case, if it looks like a catch, it is......even if there is some room for doubt.

I honestly think the XFL was ahead of it's time in a lot of ways a couple decades ago.  Now might be the perfect time to take another run at this.  It will never compete with the NFL.  But, it doesn't have to.  I love football.  A lot of people love football and miss it badly when the season is over.  If you give people like me a quality product to watch, I'm going to watch it because I love the game.  Granted, I'm the guy that loves to watch as much pro football and college football as I can possibly can cram in a week, but there are a lot of people, even if they don't want to watch as much as us addicts do, that would love to watch a game in the off season when withdrawals kick in.

So, make fun of it all you want, but me personally.....I'm rooting for Vince and the XFL to get it right this time.

Absolutely.

This would also be an opportunity for the NFL to work WITH the XFL to try different ideas/rule changes in a real football environment.

The NFL needs a development league of some sort.  It needs it for player, coach, ref and executive development.

I don't know if, long-term, short-term, or ever - the XFL will serve (unofficially or officially) as that - but there needs to be a development league.  The gap between college and pros is enormous.  There needs to be something in between.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, papazoid said:

success dependent on a TV deal

defacto 2nd chance/.development league

plenty of players would be willing to play and showcase talent in hopes of NFL invite

play in spring march - june

would I watch it ?....probably not

I agree, although he claims it will not be a "farm league" for the NFL, I feel like this is what it will turn into...

Season will be 10 weeks and start sometime in January.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/22213241/vince-mcmahon-gimmick-free-xfl-return-2020

Vince needs to get two NFL team owners to cross over their teams into the XFL. Will never happen but that's what he needs for his league to take off. Could he convince a billionaire friend or two to cross over into the XFL? 

I can't see myself watching the XFL unless they get the very best players and significantly cut into the NFL's talent pool. As is I almost exclusively watch the Bills during the regular season as I just don't really have time to watch other teams. How am I going to find the time to watch meaningless XFL games?

I’ll watch because I love football but this will fold like all other leagues do.

While it’s on, I hope it is entertaining. He should host a show during the week that takes fans around the league and gives fans access to stuff we don’t get from the NFL.

30 minutes ago, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

Vince needs to get two NFL team owners to cross over their teams into the XFL. Will never happen but that's what he needs for his league to take off. Could he convince a billionaire friend or two to cross over into the XFL? 

I can't see myself watching the XFL unless they get the very best players and significantly cut into the NFL's talent pool. As is I almost exclusively watch the Bills during the regular season as I just don't really have time to watch other teams. How am I going to find the time to watch meaningless XFL games?

That can’t happen. I’m pretty sure the NFL can take a team over if they try to do something stupid like that.

Of course, an NFL owner could sell their NFL team and look to buy into the XFL but he certainly isn’t taking players, GM’s, scouts, you name it, with him.

Has anybody questioned McMahon on whether or not the games would be rigged? We're talking the owner of professional wrestling here. A lot of people are quitting the NFL due to the rigging of games towards favored teams. I support the XFL since it will bring the downfall of the NFL, but I won't watch it if it's the same old song. 

Edited by musichunch

14 hours ago, jr1 said:

he will own all the teams again. This is carny ****

Exactly. 

Why anyone would think this sad joke would be funnier the next time around is beyond me.

HE is the sole owner of the league.  He will have rosters full of arena football players, maybe a few CFL guys and not good college droputs.  That's going to be quality football?  How does that even make a small amount of sense?   And that's the best case scenario!

He has no TV contract.  That's the killer.  After his last iteration of the XFL was such a spectacular ratings flop, what network or entity is going to pick up even a season of this?  Not even NBCSN or FoxSports are that desperate.  Maybe Yahoo for streaming?  And what would they pay?  What would anyone pay to stream this stuff?

1 hour ago, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

The XFL will likely play from the week after the Super Bowl to mid-April so if you want to watch football during the spring the XFL will be your only option. They won't be able to cut into the NFL's talent pool, at best they will be able to get the best players not in the NFL. It will be a product designed for fans of football who have nothing to watch after the NFL season is over. 

if they try and go head to head with the NFL they will lose.  if they market it as the minor leagues and work WITH the NFL they might be on to something.  think of all of the QB's and RB's that have 1 shot and get cut.  there are a ton of good players out there that just didn't get a fair chance to show what they can do.  or how about guys that didn't play in college or couldn't even get into college?  there's a lot of really talented players out there and they deserve a shot.

I’m rooting for the XFL. If I was McMahon:

1. Allow players right out of high school. That gave the USFL a chance.

2. Keep it under 2 hours like he says he will. People don’t have time for 4 hour games, keeping things fast will make more people want to watch.

3. Make it very streamable - I will watch it on my phone rather than the TV. Still play it on TV but make sure I can watch it any way I want.

4. Make the viewing experience unique something else he has talked about, giving lots of angles. Maybe make body cams so you can switch between watching the game traditionally or from your favorite QB or LBs point of view.

5. Don’t go into traditional markets. Someone already said STL, Oakland, San Diego. All great ideas! I’d also stick with smaller markets near big cities like Portland, Hartford, San Antonio, Milwaukee, Toronto, etc. That way you have teams with much less competition for football.

6. Make the tickets cheap. Part of footballs problem is it is impossible for fans to go to games anymore. Partly because the television experience is great but also because it costs an arms and a leg. 

7. Eliminate punts after the 50 yard line.Make all extra points 2 point conversions. Eliminate kickoffs.

8. Reduce the commercials, put ads on the jerseys or bottom of the screen but keep the action moving.

9. Return the catch rule back to the way it was when we didn’t debate about it all the time and make PI 15 yards rather then unlimited.

10. Do whatever it can to develop stars, not just gimmicks. Do that by hiring quality coaches and personnel men from the college and Pro ranks. Manziel, Tebow and those retreads won’t cut it.

23 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

....huh?......my nomination was based on you ALREADY having those prerequisites out of the way....I was ill informed.........Chapstick Chad is the culprit.............:thumbsup:

See ... that's what happens when you listen to people with delusions of grandeur.