Eric Wood has career-ending neck injury; will retire

YoloinOhio

Shocking news.  Sorry to see him go; I enjoyed his Monday afternoon chats with Schopp and Bulldog.

BTW:  Am I the only one noticing that this would most definitely qualify as the shocking roster news SaviorPeterman said was coming with his twitter reference last night?

LOL

I wonder if this is something the FO knew might happen. Might explain why Groy was kept under wraps all season, even when they needed a boost at RG.

Hats off to 70 for a great Bills career, and wishing him health and happiness in retirement.

Edited by skibum

1 minute ago, skibum said:

I wonder if this is something the FO knew might happen. Might explain why Groy was kept under wraps all season, even when they needed a boost at RG.

If they knew and signed him to an extension, then that is front office malpractice.  No way they saw this coming. 

30 minutes ago, Commonsense said:

That kids stock is going to explode. Only 7k follows on twitter, I bet that's over 25 by end of next season. Dawkins sure seems like a "mature beyond his years" type of guy.

How many years until number of Twitter followers are used in contract negotiations? Can't be long now.

I've listened to Eric Wood's weekly Monday spots with Schopp and Bulldog for a long time.

He is way above average intelligence for an NFL football player, excellent speaker, and a good man.

He would be a no brainer choice for getting into broadcasting if he wants to go that direction.

4 minutes ago, Jauronimo said:

Sorry if this has been discussed already.  I'm not going to back through this whole thread.  Does anybody else think this is racist?  Looks racist to me.  Just saying...racist.  The Bills are racist.

Probably not racist, but definitely predicted by SaviorPeterman's Twitter source last night!  That thread is now locked I see.

3 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

3 hours ago, cba fan said:

Report say he suffered career ending neck injury.

That headline implies an acute traumatic event. Not a degenerative medical situation just discovered. Then the body of the news describes it as a complicated condition. Does not mesh.

Hard to believe media would treat a situation like this with a click bait headline.

So I wonder if he was skiing or surfing or something and suffered an injury. I wish him all the best for a speedy recovery and able to enjoy retirement from NFL with all his mobility working.

3 hours ago, Zac said:

Tim Graham says there was no traumatic injury.  Cumulative.

If it was just a cumulative thing, it makes me wonder about the Bills doctors.... did they just miss this? Or was Wood hiding symptoms? Or just toughing it out (which seems kinda dangerous if the dr's knew about this)? Or was some hit he took in that playoff game the thing that pushed it over the edge? 

Ill be interested to hear more details on this. 

I just hope E. Wood can live a normal, healthy life. 

Edited by BillsFan4
  • Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, BillsFan4 said:

"If it was just a cumulative thing, it makes me wonder about the Bills doctors.... did they just miss this? Or was Wood hiding symptoms? Or just roughing it out? Or was some hit he took in that playoff game the thing that pushed it over the edge? 

I just hope E. Wood can live a normal, healthy life." 

I think it was also described as a "complicated medical situation".  This could mean the cumulative effects of injuries to the neck over the years were aggravated during the playoff game. 

I don't think the doctors missed anything.  It sounds like they're quite thorough during the postseason medical exams and they caught something.  

Sounds to me like they're being prudent.  I seem to remember that cumulative neck issues are what prompted Peyton Manning's retirement.  

Chronic spinal issues can get worse in a hurry, especially in a violent profession like the NFL.  

If I'm the team doctor, I would let him play either.  

Edited by gobillsinytown

3 hours ago, Ittakestime said:

Can't help but question what the heck this regime is doing. That contract extension is another knock on them. 

Yes, they totally should have just used their crystal ball to look into the future and predicted this injury. 

Edited by BillsFan4

7 minutes ago, BillsFan4 said:

If it was just a cumulative thing, it makes me wonder about the Bills doctors.... did they just miss this? Or was Wood hiding symptoms? Or just toughing it out (which seems kinda dangerous if the dr's knew about this)? Or was some hit he took in that playoff game the thing that pushed it over the edge? 

.....if there is ANY silver lining, it was discovered in a post season physical versus unknowingly playing next year, taking a hit to the affected area and ending up paralyzed.....he and Meatball have been two longstanding stalwarts of this club.....thanks Eric and on to the next chapter in your life....

• Like (+1) 2

11 minutes ago, BillsFan4 said:

I also wonder if he may be taking more risk than most when playing due to his brothers condition. If maybe now a doctor told him he could suffer the same fate with the wrong hit.

...interesting....Graham claims Wood was retiring regardless........

Bills C Eric Wood is retiring from the NFL after nine seasons.

A neck injury is partly to blame for Wood calling it quits, though the Buffalo News' Tim Graham reports Wood was going to hang the cleats up regardless. Wood was the 28th overall pick in the 2009 draft and spent all nine of his seasons in Buffalo, making the playoffs for the first time this past season. He made 120 career starts and was a one-time Pro Bowl selection in 2015. It's a big loss from a leadership standpoint as well. Ryan Groy makes sense as a replacement.

Jan 26 - 11:43 AM

I hate it for him.

Classy and poised, great leader, hard worker, fine player.

I’m sure he has a bright future ahead of him, just came sooner than he may have wanted.

Sincerely hope that a season ending physical finding means he avoided finding out in a much more catastrophic way.

Move finding leadership on the o line toward the top of the list. 

58 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Looks like it was updated again which means Rodak is correct.

It would depend how the salary guarantee is structured.  If it's an insurance payout then it probably doesn't count against the cap. 

But if the Bills agreed to fully guarantee the 2018 salary against injury for a 30+ vet AND paid him a $6.5 million bonus, then it's a gross mismanagement of the cap.   

The only qualification would be that in exchange for agreeing to guarantee 2018, Bills have the right to claw back the unearned bonus, so they'll be cap neutral in 2018.

Fond memory of mine: I beat Eric and Andy Levitre in a wing eating contest at the Wing Festival a few years back at Coca Cola Field. Andy was till a Bill at the time. I didn't win the contest, but I beat them.

Edited by Dopey