Wyoming’s Josh Allen

RichardLee

19 hours ago, JaCrispy said:

Josh Allen is EJ Manuel with a stronger arm imo...no thanks

I mean... I literally have never seen him play and have just seen stats and projections and some descriptions, but Allen scares the hell out of me for exactly this reason!!!

And EJ did it in college against much better competition with much better results.

How the hell is this guy a potential top 5 pick???

Honest question, can someone convince us he's not EJ 2.0???

23 hours ago, RichardLee said:

I haven't seen much on the Wall regarding Josh Allen, who - seemingly - could be drafted with a reasonable trade up.

While a bit raw for the NFL, he looks impressive with tremendous potential. His natural abilities are phenomenal and his downsides seem coachable to me.  He could be developed over a year or two, especially if we landed Alex Smith.

What do you college football guys think?

Too talented 

Edited by Buffalo Barbarian

7 hours ago, jrober38 said:

The problem is that he did have bad accuracy in college, and it's been on display all week at the Senior Bowl. 

He makes routine throws look really hard. He's not a natural passer. 

QBs need adequate arm strength, but none of the top QBs across the NFL are inaccurate. Accuracy trumps everything. IMO

That's just not true. "Bad accuracy" is greatly overstating it. If his accuracy were actually bad, he wouldn't be being mentioned as a possible first rounder, or even as draftable. He has issues at times and is certainly not consistently highly accurate.

Completion percentage does not equal accuracy. There is no stat for accuracy anymore than there is for football smarts or for 

And at the Senior Bowl what's being said about him is that sometimes he's very accurate and other times not so much so. Same as what's generally said about him.

Quick example from Joe Buscaglia today: "This is the ‘arm talent’ from Wyoming QB Josh Allen that has these teams intrigued by his potential. In between three defenders for a TD." Has a GIF of a beautiful throw. And there's plenty of those kinds of throws being shown by him at the Senior Bowl. But yeah, not with enough consistency.

I'm not pulling for or against the guy but there's a great deal of exaggeration particularly of his negatives these days.

3 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

That's just not true. "Bad accuracy" is greatly overstating it. If his accuracy were actually bad, he wouldn't be being mentioned as a possible first rounder, or even as draftable. He has issues at times and is certainly not consistently highly accurate.

Accuracy is the state of being precise. In a football sense it means the ball winds up where the player intends for it to go.

When using that definition to describe Allen, he's clearly not an accurate. 

Sometimes he hits the target, sometimes he's high, sometimes he's low, sometimes he's behind the receiver, and sometimes he's too far out front. When he throws the ball, it can wind up anywhere, which is why he's not an accurate passer. There is no consistent precision in terms of where the ball winds up. 

If a player consistently misses to one spot, and correcting a certain part of their mechanics could help correct that, then maybe that player's accuracy could be improved.

In Allen's situation, he's got scattershot accuracy. He misses all over the place, just like EJ Manuel did, and as we've seen numerous times from QBs in the past, guys whose accuracy and mechanics needs to be completely built from the ground up never succeed in the NFL. 

Allen winds up in the top left category, like EJ Manuel before him. Good luck succeeding with a guy like that. 

precision_accuracy.png

Edited by jrober38
  • Like (+1) 3

1 hour ago, buffaloboyinATL said:

I’ve seen enough from Allen in the Senior Bowl. I want him. He is showing his touch and accuracy CAN be improved. 

(IF he drops to 21. I would rather not trade up for QB)

Yep. I DVR'd it and just watched Allen. We may have a new 1st round QB in the mix!  Good size, known for reading the field well ... then again, that could've described Peterman ...

16 minutes ago, The Frankish Reich said:

Yep. I DVR'd it and just watched Allen. We may have a new 1st round QB in the mix!  Good size, known for reading the field well ... then again, that could've described Peterman ...

What the heck?

New?! Allen has been in the mix for over a year now.

Him and Peterman are not close to being similar. 

20 minutes ago, The Frankish Reich said:

:mellow: He and Peterman aren't alike at all with Allen having elite physical skills. 

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Augie said:

I think he had over a dozen yards passing today in the Senior Bowl! That doesn't change your mind? :huh:

4th rounder was in relation to Falk. Allen I have as a 3rd.... he made a couple of nice plays in the 2nd half of the Senior Bowl but that doesn't change my evaluation. 

3 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

4th rounder was in relation to Falk. Allen I have as a 3rd.... he made a couple of nice plays in the 2nd half of the Senior Bowl but that doesn't change my evaluation. 

You know those evaluations go out the window for QB's this time of year, specially one with the physical tools that this guy has. Teams WAY over reach for potential at this position.

35 minutes ago, The Frankish Reich said:

I would say that is true for Lauletta and Mike White. Teams will definitely take a closer look at those two from now until the draft.

9 minutes ago, buffaloboyinATL said:

You know those evaluations go out the window for QB's this time of year, specially one with the physical tools that this guy has. Teams WAY over reach for potential at this position.

I would say that is true for Lauletta and Mike White. Teams will definitely take a closer look at those two from now until the draft.

Oh I think Josh Allen goes in the first round. He could even be the 2nd or 3rd off the board.... I just don't think his tape deserves that. To me it is 3rd round tape. 

On White and Lauletta... I had seen a tiny bit of the former and none of the latter before tonight. Getting more familiar with both is now a priority for me. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

I still haven't changed my e v a l either.  To his credit, he turned things around in the 2nd half.  However, I still did not see any active feet in the pocket.  Most of his throws were all arm, which on one hand is impressive, on the other dangerous.  The plays he made did stand out though as he trusted his guys to win the 1 v 1.  I still think he's about 2 years away.  I'd rather someone else take him and would be very disappointed if we gave up 21, 22, a first next year and something else this year for him.  I would be completely disappointed.