Wyoming’s Josh Allen

RichardLee

Some of you are way off in saying this kid is a 3rd or 4th round pick.

NFL networks  Daniel Jeremiah, DJ has Allen at his 14th best player overall. 

"I came into the week with Mayfield ranked one spot ahead of Allen on my board, and it remains very close between those QBs. I'm not ready to call that race just yet.

Allen has some rough edges that he still needs to smooth out, but we got a glimpse on Saturday of what it looks like when it all clicks for him. He makes throws that no one else can make."

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000909727/article/daniel-jeremiahs-top-50-prospects-for-2018-nfl-draft

The Bills need that kind of arm in those swirling winds at Rich/Ralph Wilson/New Era stadium. So, perhaps he isn't an instant starter and he will need to sit and develop for a season. At evaluation 13/14 he certainly can be had by Buffalo without giving up the farm. Cincy at 12 needs an OT and the Bills could move Glenn in the process. Perhaps trading TT to Denver for some value too. 

Also, Bills fans need to remember exactly how EJ's development was mishandled by Buffalo with no QB coach, no veteran QB on the roster and the only guy teaching him the NFL ropes his first year was an OC who had never been an NFL OC previously. EJ stated he learned more from simply watching Kyle Orton prepare for a game then he ever did under Hackett. 

12 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

:huh: But somehow you think Mike White could be a first round pick.  

I said Kyle Lauletta could be one. Of course that depends on how many other QBs go early. The same can be said for White. If enough QBs go early he could go late first like Paxton Lynch.

Just now, BillsEnthusiast said:

I said Kyle Lauletta could be one. Of course that depends on how many other QBs go early. The same can be said for White. If enough QBs go early he could go late first like Paxton Lynch.

Neither will go in the 1st round and they shouldn't.

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, BillsEnthusiast said:

Why not? Lots of teams need a QB. Some will likely try to leapfrog others.

They aren't 1st round talents.

I'd love it if two other teams actually spent 1st round picks on those two. 

Edited by 26CornerBlitz
  • Like (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, BillsEnthusiast said:

Lauletta would be lucky to go in the 4th round imo

It's not just NFL networks Daniel Jeremiah's who thinks Allen is a top 15 first round pick.

"Kiper's draft ranking: No. 1 QB and No. 4 overall prospect. From Kiper's Mock Draft 1.0: "His numbers aren't impressive, I know. But the NFL is all about projection, and he has a high ceiling. Coaches want to work with Allen because he has all of the tools."

"McShay's draft ranking: No. 3 QB and No. 16 overall prospect. From McShay's Top 32: "He has an elite arm and frame and can make every throw. The postseason process will be key for him."

http://www.espn.com/nfl/draft2018/story/_/id/21836489/2018-nfl-draft-quarterback-class-preview-background-scouting-reports-pro-fits

Then there is this, https://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2017/12/22/16776200/josh-allen-2018-nfl-draft-wyoming-quarterback

Allen would have to do horrible in the interview process not to be a top 15 pick. He checks every box from a physical talent standpoint and that is rare. When all said and done he probably is in top 5. Look how fast Cam Newton shot up the mock draft boards due to his physical skill set.

• Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

They aren't 1st round talents.

I'd love it if two other teams actually spent 1st round picks on those two. 

10 hours ago, JaCrispy said:

Lauletta would be lucky to go in the 4th round imo

I guess I am just more optimistic but I see a lot to like. 

5 minutes ago, BillsEnthusiast said:

I guess I am just more optimistic but I see a lot to like. 

He definitely got talent...I just see him more like a Nate Peterman type QB...I don’t think a team would draft him thinking they were drafting their franchise QB...and to me that’s what it takes to be taken in the 1st or 2nd round imo...he would be drafted as a backup and would have to earn the starting role like Peterman will attempt to do this year.

Guest K-GunJimKelly12

Do these guys with all the size and tools that were never able to put it together in college ever succeed in the NFL?

11 hours ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Neither will go in the 1st round and they shouldn't.

I agree that neither will go in the 1st but whether or not they should is debatable. 

Lauletta looked really good. He has a lot of traits that you see from successful NFL QBs. 

Accuracy, great throwing mechanics, good footwork, the ability and willingness to throw at NFL sized windows. It was all on display yesterday. 

He looked a heck of a lot like Jimmy Garoppolo, who has all of the same strengths. 

23 minutes ago, K-GunJimKelly12 said:

Do these guys with all the size and tools that were never able to put it together in college ever succeed in the NFL?

No. Generally speaking they're almost always busts or mediocre backups. 

Edited by jrober38

3 minutes ago, jrober38 said:

I agree that neither will go in the 1st but whether or not they should is debatable. 

Lauletta looked really good. He has a lot of traits that you see from successful NFL QBs. 

No. Generally speaking they're almost always busts or mediocre backups. 

That's nice, but let's not overreact to a performance in the Senior Bowl where you can't blitz the QB with many of the best players in CFB not participating.  I stand by what I posted earlier. 

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

1 minute ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

That's nice, but let's not overreact to a performance in the Senior Bowl where you can't blitz the QB with many of the best players in CFB not participating.  I stand by what I posted earlier. 

Agreed again.

Similar with Allen and Mayfield.

Mayfield didn't play great, but so what, one game, I don't think he hurt his draft stock.

Allen, same thing. He's raw and streaky, so one game shouldn't change perception.

He's a huge risk with a huge ceiling and a very low floor if he tanks.

They are all the same as they were before this game.

4 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

I don't think I'm overreacting to anything. I'm just pointing out that the same traits you see from top NFL QBs were all on display as part of Lauletta's game yesterday. He's a guy no one really knew anything about and he impressed throughout practice (reports had him as the best QB on the South throughout the practice week) and then he dominated when he was in the game itself. 

• He's extremely accurate
  • His mechanics are great and his throwing motion is very compact 
  • He showed good zip and ball placement, to short, intermediate and deep parts of the field 
  • He gets the ball out on time and was willing to attack tight windows 

Accuracy is the most important trait for a QB, and he appears to be excellent in that area. 

He'll need to show more at the combine, and at private workouts, but his performance was excellent yesterday. 

Edited by jrober38

1 minute ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

But people are excited over Allen as something special within the same circumstances.  Frankly, to me, he did nothing to separate himself from guys like White and Lauletta.  Sure as a physical specimen he's unmatched, but I'm looking for a QB.  He looked better the 2nd half but still did not distance himself from those guys as a passer IMO.

5 minutes ago, jrober38 said:

I don't think I'm overreacting to anything. I'm just pointing out that the same traits you see from top NFL QBs were all on display as part of Lauletta's game yesterday. He's a guy no one really knew anything about and he impressed throughout practice (reports had him as the best QB on the South throughout the practice week) and then he dominated when he was in the game itself. 

• He's extremely accurate
  • His mechanics are great and his throwing motion is very compact 
  • He showed good zip and ball placement, to short, intermediate and deep parts of the field 
  • He gets the ball out on time and was willing to attack tight windows 

Accuracy is the most important trait for a QB, and he appears to be excellent in that area. 

He'll need to show more at the combine, and at private workouts, but his performance was excellent yesterday. 

Sounds nice, but he looks limited to my eye.  Project QB. 

4 minutes ago, NewEraBills said:

But people are excited over Allen as something special within the same circumstances.  Frankly, to me, he did nothing to separate himself from guys like White and Lauletta.  Sure as a physical specimen he's unmatched, but I'm looking for a QB.  He looked better the 2nd half but still did not distance himself from those guys as a passer IMO.

Fair points. Allen will be drafted much higher based on the advantage his physical tools give him with prtotypical size, excellent athleticism, and great arm strength.