Is Steve Wilks Hiring Bad For Us

Roch Jim

OK, I can obsess about minutiae when it comes to the Bills, but I'm thinking Steve Wilks' hiring as HC in Zona hurts us. He knows, has a relationship with, and will likely pursue some of the same Carolina talent base McD might, specifically our hoped-for DT Star Lotulelei. If nothing else, it may exacerbate any bidding war for him. Anyone else concerned that another Carolina DC is now a HC?

7 minutes ago, Roch Jim said:

OK, I can obsess about minutiae when it comes to the Bills, but I'm thinking Steve Wilks' hiring as HC in Zona hurts us. He knows, has a relationship with, and will likely pursue some of the same Carolina talent base McD might, specifically our hoped-for DT Star Lotulelei. If nothing else, it may exacerbate any bidding war for him. Anyone else concerned that another Carolina DC is now a HC?

If our talent acquisition plan is limited to "poach off Carolina talent base" it might

But if that's our talent acquisition plan, we're in trouble anyway

12 minutes ago, Roch Jim said:

If this was the case then I'd be more concerned with Gettleman being the Giants new GM. He basically groomed Beane, so they probably have similar thought processes and evaluation methods when it comes to talent. This could also work for us. The giants stated they want Eli back, and like Webb. So they could be a trading partner possibly? 

I thought about this too, but to be honest I think people are reading too much into the Carolina connection and thinking it's automatic that some of their pending FA's will end up in Buffalo (or now AZ).

But if anything this hire shows that the Ron Rivera coaching tree is legit or it might end up like Belichik if McD and Wilks don't end up having long term success away from Carolina.

I still tend to believe that McD's success was more the biproduct of Rivera who is a legit defensive guru.

This is a good question. They also draft in front of us. But I will say they have a lot of talent on their defense. Chandler Jones, Haason Reddick, Deone Bucannon and a really good secondary. Maybe he can get something out of Robert Nkemdiche.

I'm assuming the would transition into a 4-3. I think where we need to worry is at the linebacker spot as they will be looking for the same type of talent as us. I suppose they could play Reddick at the Mike and Bucannon at the Will, but they would be very undersized there. 

I'm not worried if we don't get Star or any carolina free agent this year.  I don't think McDermott is going to bank on that connection as his only way to find players.  Poyer, Hyde, his drafted players...I really think this is a non-story.  

Edited by Buffalo30

1 minute ago, Buffalo30 said:

I'm not worried if won't don't get Star or any carolina free agent this year.  I don't think McDermott is going to bank on that connection as his only way to find players.  Poyer, Hyde, his drafted players...I really think this is a non-story.  

100% agreed. McD has proven he can find talent or make it work with what little he has. We’ll be fine. I can’t wait for next season already. This team is only going to get better! 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, SaviorPeterman said:

I thought about this too, but to be honest I think people are reading too much into the Carolina connection and thinking it's automatic that some of their pending FA's will end up in Buffalo (or now AZ).

But if anything this hire shows that the Ron Rivera coaching tree is legit or it might end up like Belichik if McD and Wilks don't end up having long term success away from Carolina.

I still tend to believe that McD's success was more the biproduct of Rivera who is a legit defensive guru.

You've officially gone coo coo. 

1 hour ago, Roch Jim said:

If the Cards offer what Star wants...he will sign there. If someone offers something better...he won't. Really simple as that.

2 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

If our talent acquisition plan is limited to "poach off Carolina talent base" it might

But if that's our talent acquisition plan, we're in trouble anyway

Agreed.

But, the reality of Star and a specific need four our defense (I think is important).  But, time will tell!

Go Bills!

6 hours ago, Buffalo30 said:

It's not all about money for all players.  Family comes into consideration as well as other factors for many players.  

Didn't say money. Said if they offer what he wants. Could be anything. Coaching. Chance to win a ring. Close proximity to a Cracker Barrel. 

I don't see it effecting us much at all. The only Panthers player coming into FA this year worth considering is Star, and there are quite a few good DTs available aside from him. From a coaching staff perspective McD seems to care more about the Reid tree than the Carolina connections.