Jumanji / Rotten Tomatoes ?

Process

I typically check out Rotten Tomatoes before seeing a movie, thinking the reviews are for the most part legit. After seeing jumanji I am convinced it's all bs. 90% user rating. One of the worst movies I've ever seen. Never wanted a movie to end so badly. 

The red head almost made it worth it though. 

Thoughts?

Eh, I always look at the Rotten Tomatoes percentages (critic scores, not user scores usually) in the context of what kind of movie it's supposed to be.  Paddington 2 has 100%, but that's holding it up to other kids' movies. 

So take Jumanji (76%).  The critics aren't saying it's good compared to, say, Citizen Kane, but that it's generally good against other silly action comedies geared towards younger audiences.

Also yeah Karen Gillan is hot.

6 hours ago, Process said:

I typically check out Rotten Tomatoes before seeing a movie, thinking the reviews are for the most part legit. After seeing jumanji I am convinced it's all bs. 90% user rating. One of the worst movies I've ever seen. Never wanted a movie to end so badly. 

The red head almost made it worth it though. 

Thoughts?

Rotton Tomatoes went off the rails years ago.  We went to see Jumanji as well this weekend and I concur. It sucked. 

Rotten Tomatoes is good if you look at 4 or 5 top critics' comments and see what they say.

There will usually be a consensus reached one way or the other in terms of the movie being good or bad.

Avoid people you have never heard of from media outlets you have never heard of.  Some of their comments for movies I am very familiar with are crazy and often wildly inaccurate.

Top film critics from the best newspapers in the country tend to be a reliable source of information.

I saw it two weeks ago.  I got stuck next to a woman who over the top laughed at just about everything in the movie.  The wife and I continuously rolled our eyes at each other constantly.  I have no idea what movie that lady was watching.

As for critics, I've long since stopped listening to them.  All too often, they're looking for something completely different out of a movie than I am.  I really don't care if 90% of critics don't like a movie because there's still a chance that I have the same mindset as one of them in that remaining 10%.  I'm also not going to put much weight into an audience score either because people are stupid.  We're talking about many of the same people who drool over seeing what the Kardasians are going to do next.

Edited by shrader
  • Like (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, shrader said:

As for critics, I've long since stopped listening to them.  All too often, they're looking for something completely different out of a movie than I am. 

I like one critic and its Ann Hornaday from the Washington Post. She is on the Kornheiser podcast most Fridays, and she and Tony have great discussions about the movies. While I don't like 100% of what she recommends, I trust her more than most.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/people/ann-hornaday/?utm_term=.984f4ae5db7a

I loved it! Very entertaining. The humor really worked, and Jack Black played a great 17-year-old girl.  I went with my son's GF (because she wanted to see it too) and she loved it too.   Is it "best movie ever" category? Nope. But it was a very good popcorn flick.

3 hours ago, BeginnersMind said:

Didn’t they already do that crappy movie twice before? Is this like Transformers? Keep trying and maybe one will be good?

They had the Robin Williams one from the 90's which I believe may have been a remake (or reboot I guess) of an older one

Transformers is different, the movies they have been doing are sequels and are not reboots/remakes. The Spiderman movies are the ones that in the last 10-15 years have been "rebooted" 3 times (1st the Tobey Maguire spiderman trilogy, then the 2 Emo spidermans, and now the marvel spiderman, the 3 sets don't connect to each other and are separate sets of movies from each other). I for one, don't mind the Transformers movies mostly because i enjoy them for what they are, mindless explosions and CGI robot fights. I don't expect Academy award level acting and can live with some storey line holes.

I think the problem today is that with the internet, everyone can be a critic or give their opinions and there are many who don't share the same idea that not all movies should be Academy Awards level films, some are supposed to be shut your brains off and enjoy some things blowing up or cool special effects. And these days you can never tell online if its a true "review" of something or some paid comment to try and boost the ratings/sales of whatever the review is about. companies will pay people to go online and post fake reviews all the time to try and boost interest and ratings for whatever it is they are trying to promote/sell

I think that Rotten Tomatoes and especially IMDB's ratings are inflated when a movie is first released.  This could be due to several factors: production companies may pay to have people give good scores, people who go to see the movie when it first comes out already love the franchise/idea, or something else.  

The better solution is to find a reviewer or critic who has solidly given their blessing to movies that you have enjoyed.  

On a side note, I have several rules I adhere to when I am going to watch a movie.  They have worked out for me well:

1)  Movie has to be rated R.  I have enjoyed many movies with lesser ratings but to me they are just basic entertainment.  Not classics with themes and messages.  For example, I enjoyed Finding Nemo but in no way do I think it is on the same level with No Country for Old Men.

2)  The movie can not be a sequel or remake.  Of course there are exceptions to this (Terminator 2, Godfather 2, The Thing etc.) but they are the exception, not the rule.  I want to see an original script or story.  I have become more and more bitter with the same ideas being rehashed and droves of people going to see the movie because they remember the original.  

3) No superhero movies no matter what.  

On a further side note:  The Dark Knight is constantly praised and is the #5 best movie of all time on IMDB.  I loathe this movie and have often thought about writing down a comprehensive review of why it is terrible.