Mason Rudolph has tiny hands

6 minutes ago, DCOrange said:

To be fair, this only covers 2008-2013. Including 2014-2017, you get the follow list of semi-successful/jury's still out QBs with hands as small as Rudolph:

Kaepernick

Keenum

Derek Carr

Bridgewater

Jimmy Garappolo

Jared Goff

Pat Mahomes

Davis Webb

Edited by Putin
Delet

8 minutes ago, Stank_Nasty said:

i'm so embarrassed to talk about some of the qb's that I've been mad about the bills passing on..... that list will go to the death bed with me.

That's why I rarely hype about college players, because I don't watch enough of them, and I'm not smart enough to evaluate them. I just hope our front office does.

The exception, of course, are UB players. I can talk all day about those guys. There are the potential NFL prospects right now, but not on this draft: QB Tyree Jackson, WR Anthony Johnson and LB Khalil Hodge. Remember those names in the 2019 and 2020 drafts.

Edited by PromoTheRobot

6 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

The chart shown above proves it's not much of a factor.  Also, the college ball isn't that much smaller than a pro ball, so why would gripping the ball become a problem?

it must be a factor because nobody with hands less than 9" had any success.  perhaps it doesn't increase your liklihood of success once your hands are larger than a certain size but it certainly shows they must be at least a certain size to be successful and in my own experiences i saw that myself.  when it was cold or rainy i couldn't grip the football and i measured and my hands are 8.5" so that's probably why

Edited by kdiggz
  • Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, kdiggz said:

it must be a factor because nobody with hands less than 9" had any success.  perhaps it doesn't increase your liklihood of success once your hands are larger than a certain size but it certainly shows they must be at least a certain size to be successful and in my own experiences i saw that myself.  when it was cold or rainy i couldn't grip the football and i measured and my hands are 8.5" so that's probably why

I think Romo’s hands were under 9”

12 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

The chart shown above proves it's not much of a factor.  Also, the college ball isn't that much smaller than a pro ball, so why would gripping the ball become a problem?

cold weather teams the ball becomes hard and slippery

hot weather conditons the ball expands some.

its not the most improtant measurable by a longshot, but teams measure it for a reason....   if you have 2 QB's that are eqal in every other measurable and stats but one has a hand 0.5 inches larger you may use that in a decision..

but overall I agree its the last measurable we really need to be having a hardcore debate about.... 

More importantly

1.  is completion %
  2. type of college Offense
  3. Ability to scan the field
  4. Performance against high competion and bowl games
  5. Ability to sense pocket pressure
  6. Height/size

probably a few more to add in there but  hand size doesn't come into the equation till all the otehr more improtant attributes have been dissected

Edited by ddaryl
  • Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

That's the point. Elite is rare. But everyone is elite from February to May.

In all fairness I don’t think we’re all looking for elite QB , I think most of us would be happy with someone that we could all agree is a starter , and for once not have to debate if he’s a backup or , 

24 minutes ago, DCOrange said:

To be fair, this only covers 2008-2013. Including 2014-2017, you get the follow list of semi-successful/jury's still out QBs with hands as small as Rudolph:

Kaepernick

Keenum

Derek Carr

Bridgewater

Jimmy Garappolo

Jared Goff

Pat Mahomes

Davis Webb

Ryan Tannehill

Edit: I was looking at 9 1/4 instead of 9 1/8. Bridgewater, Mahomes, and Webb all have bigger hands than Rudolph.

I went back and edited my list...basically, over the past decade, you find 1 semi-successful QB every 2 years with hands the size of Rudolph's. 6 out of 40 with his hand size could be considered borderline successful.

Edited by DCOrange